Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 27, 2006, 7:02 AM   #61

Quote:
What happens if you remove a chipped cartridge and put it in another printer? Does the ink level follow the chip?? If so, I doubt re-setting the EEPROM will do much good
:?
I agree, my understanding is that the cart chip stays told...........if its been told its empty it stays an empty (but acceptable) cart......can the EEPROM rewrite a chip`s memory to say you are full again ?.......Is the chip "open" to be being re-told ?

I have always thought that Canon should have made these chips to be re-cycled, and re-used at least 6 times....not very "green" of them is it ?.

Is there a recycle facility for these particular type of carts , put in place by Canon ?, perhaps they could then re-sell them to users at a reduced price ?.......

however:-

If someone can come up with a feasable and sensible re-set procedure that involves the printer internals (and a set of instructions) ....there are those of us who may be able to sacrifice a machine to further the cause. (just to make the planet a bit greener..........man.....)
headphonesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 4:57 AM   #62

headphonesman wrote:
Quote:
Is there a recycle facility for these particular type of carts , put in place by Canon ?, perhaps they could then re-sell them to users at a reduced price ?.......

however:-

If someone can come up with a feasable and sensible re-set procedure that involves the printer internals (and a set of instructions) ....there are those of us who may be able to sacrifice a machine to further the cause. (just to make the planet a bit greener..........man.....)
To date there's no company that I've been able to find that recycles or even accepts these kind of cartridges and I'm actively looking for empties myself to use in CIS kits... So if anyone actually wants their empties to get some use, PM ME!!

As for the reset procedure there isn't one and overall the lack of any further
"lock up" reports is good news... So, I guess if people just refill as they see fit (or use my oft repeated suggested approach) and we'll see how things go..

websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 7:13 AM   #63

What problem do you guys have ?
Resetting the Cli-8 chip ?????????

pease of cake just press the paper feed button for 5 sec
and it is done.

Do you guys wreally had a problem to figure this out ?

:-)
Inkmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 7:48 AM   #64

Inkmaster what printer does that method work on that you know of?

Have you heard of it working on a Canon Pixma MP830?
dx90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 8:05 AM   #65

Pixma ip 4200/5200

i havent tried on others but why don´t you
try.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 9:09 AM   #66

Inkmaster wrote:
Quote:
What problem do you guys have ?
Resetting the Cli-8 chip ?????????

pease of cake just press the paper feed button for 5 sec
and it is done.

Do you guys wreally had a problem to figure this out ?

:-)
Erm you might want to try reading all the posts on this issue.

The "5 second resume" doesn't reset the chip, it disables the ink meter and puts your printer out of warranty.. That is NOT a reset.

We're not that thick... :roll:
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 9:35 AM   #67

HI !

i was just joking.

i dont think that anybody is thick here.

Warranty ?
ok, but who cares about warranty
when you easely refill this cartridge and save over
95 % of the cost compared to Oem cartridges.

after summer i will start to sell a complete solution
to the Cli-8.

The game is this :
i´m using a cartridge holder that contains only plastic
and the opening ink hole and the chip.
the holder is like the lower part of the cli-8

so it is only nessesary to switch the chip 1 time on every cart.

ones the chip is on place it stays there.
the only thing that needs to be done is replace the
compatible cart in the holder.

The compatible carts is only containing ink
and has no sponge inside.

the cartridge holds about 20 ml of ink
and the PGI-5bk about 45 ml.

this is a very smart solution.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 1:37 PM   #68

Quote:
after summer i will start to sell a complete solution
to the Cli-8.
I think this solution is far from complete.

This would appear to be a variation on the "compatable" carts that were recently introduced , where one had to transfer the chips each time from the Canon carts to the compatable carts. By employing a cradle to which you affix the chips and then place your compat cart in the cradle you do not have to touch the chips again.

This method would only suit those who want to use compatable carts already filled with 3rd party ink (at a minimum price) and place them straight into the machine. However , (if they are reluctant to re-fill ) they will be very reluctant to swop the chips on the initial start-up, owing to a perceived risk of damaging the chips. The design of carts without sponge is new to me and I do not knowhow Canon printhead design will cope with this. The Ink level Monitor will still be disabled and the risk of printhead burn out will still be present if not closely monitored, in view of the reduced size of cart to fit in the cradle, this will be more frequent.

For those that refill, to adopt this method does not give any advantage over refilling the existing Canon carts, and pressing the resume button, in fact there is less hassle, I for one have had a good look what is involved in removing the chip and decided I would rather leave it on the Canon cart, where it belongs.

Chipped Canon carts that are being re-filled will not last forever, I know that, but with care and regular monitoring and rotation with 2 other genuine sets, we will see how long I can make them last.

A "complete solution " to the CL8 chipped cartridge will be the supply of a third party chipped cart with identical properties to the Canon one at 1 quarter of the price of the Canon one. I would buy them, thats my "complete solution" for the non-refill section.

For those wishing to re-fill the "complete solution " would be the provision of a chip resetter.

Or best of all Canon see sense and achieve world domination by undercutting every other manufacturer`s ink prices and compete directly with the third party people . we all know whose ink we would buy then.
headphonesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 3:11 AM   #69

Ok mayby not complete solution.

But this is the best solution so far.

Let see what can be better:

1. refillable cartridge with a soft plugg
for easy airtight reseal, the cartridge is refilled in 30 sec.

2. The cartridge is spongefree and contains dobble the ammount of ink,and it is more easy to monitor.

3. No need to swop the chip, only the first time then never again.

i´m sorry but this is the best solution so far.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 5:04 PM   #70

Good afternoon, all.

First-time poster, obviously. Stumbled across this topic while searching Google for info on compatible CLI-8 carts. Had a bit of a question, so I hope this isn't the wrong topic to be asking....

I do a LOT of printing. Mostly DVD case wraps and booklets, labels, etc. Full-page, full-color, highest-quality I can get. On average, 100-200 pages worth per week, sometimes more.

About 2 years ago, I had invested in a Canon i560. I LOVED that little thing....especially after I found out I could get compatible carts for almost 1/4 the cost of the OEMs.

All was well for a while, but eventually, after working the heck out of it, the print head started developing issues. At that point, it was outside of the original manufacturer's warranty, and fell into 3-year extended warranty I'd purchased with Best Buy. They determined the print head wasn't worth fixing or replacing, and gave me the value toward a new one.

Naturally, at that time the iPixma series had replaced the old ixxx series. And unfortunately for me, the only model they had available that I felt was comparable to my i560 ("comparable" at that particualr instance just meant that the repalcement model had the multi-cart system), was the iP6600D.

At first, I loved it (still do). Standard quality printing was on par with High quality results from the 560, and High was of course even better. However, I quickly discovered that this wasn't quite worth the trade up.... Not only could I not get compatible carts for the thing, it seemed to burn off ink more quickly than the old 560. The i560 was putting out about 200(+/-) pages per cart, on High quality. The iP6600D only seems to get 125-150(+/-) pages per cart, whether on Standard or High.

(I've also had to replace the 6600 twice in the first 90-120 days due to the cassette tray suddenly refusing to grab any more pages, but that's another story.)

Suffice to say, I've spent a LOT of money on ink since then, and it's noticably affected my bottom line.

Recently, I've noticed that some companies are offering supposedly compatible carts for the CLI-8 series, which involve swapping out the chips on the originals. Costs for these costs run about half of OEM prices (I still think they could stand to be a little cheaper, but what can ya do?)

So, basically, after all that exposition, my question is this:

Can any tell me how well these compatible inks perform?
How simple are they to install and use?
Is there generally anything in particular I should be aware of when using these carts?
Are there any other simple (simpler?) alternatives to these compatibles?

Thanks in advance for any comments and advice you have to offer.
CustomDVD is offline   Reply With Quote