and it takes the dobble ammount of ink.
Inkmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 4:59 AM   #72

Hi !

See my post above.

If you manage to poor up a glas
of milk you will als manage to swoop the chip
:-)

The chip will pop of quite easy with a sharp thin knife.

The ink in the Spongefree compatible is ok
cant remember what brand it is (ill be back on this)
but i recomend to buy Formulab ink in 1 Liter bottles
and refill the sponge free carts.

the sponge free cart is designed for refill so it makes
it easy, buying ink in 1 Liter bottles will cut your
cost down to about 1 dollar or less per cartridge.

The formulab ink is the very best ink out there
in testing even better than the Wj ink.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 6:10 AM   #73

Inkmaster wrote:
Quote:
If you use the new Spongefree cartridges
you NEVER get the foam problem in the cart

the very same Sponge free cart can be refilled
1000 and 1000 of times.

and it takes the dobble ammount of ink.
That's all well and good but there are a lot of reports of problems with the spongefree cartridges for the Canon printers and most people who've tried them prefer going back to the sponged versions and accepting the need to purge them every once in a while.

Also, as I understand it the spongeless carts will also run out of ink completely at the same time as they trigger the "ink low" warning because the printer assumes there's still ink being retained in the "sponge" which obviously doesn't exist anymore. That leads to strain on the printhead because it's firing with no ink and probably burns it out immediately... Not something I'd willingly accept.

Don't know if that has been corrected in newer versions but overall I don't intend to use such a system and in all honesty, whilst your idea does have some merit, I think headphonesmans points are valid... It's not really a solution at all, just another workaround that most people won't use because the people who would consider removing the chips and transfering them are likely to consider refilling anyway making your idea pretty redundant.

Until there's a chip resetter or alternative that works I don't think you'll see much market for it.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 7:45 AM   #74

"Until there's a chip resetter or alternative that works I don't think you'll see much market for it."

erm , would you explain this to all my customers who
bought over 20 Gallons of the Canon ink and using my
spongefree cartridges.

this cartridges are going to be the most popular compatible
trust me.

Lets say they would´nt agree with you.

and also i have been printing with my pixma 1500 BCI-24
spongefree cart, at the moment over 2000 Digital pictures
and still the very same cartridge is used.

you have to try it yourself before you can make a statement
and i promise you ,once you tried the sponge free
you don´t want to go back.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 3:27 PM   #75

I can't argue with your logic on that but you don't deal with the issue of the printer assuming the cartridge still has ink in it. Have you dealt with that issue?

As to your claim.. you're right, I can't make a definitive statement about its suitability but allow me a little scepticism in that you hope to sell it and marketing strategy doesn't exactly mean you're going to point out any problem areas.

It's a step in the right direction as a workaround but your solution still requires someone to transfer chips over (at least once).. The printer still marks itself as out of warranty and the ink levels aren't available so there's still this potential problem that the ink may run out and thus burn out the printhead.

Compare that to not spending anything (except ink), drilling a hole in original cartridges and using known techniques for refilling. Your solution provides a little extra capacity and a better way to use pre-filled cartridges without having to keep transferring the chips.

Really I'm guessing your clincher is that refillers don't have to worry about the need to purge the sponge to remove algae or the problem of ink foam.

Personally, I'm using the original carts as parts in CIS units and don't really expect those problems and like I said, I've read numerous reports of problems with spongeless cartridges in Canon printers so I guess I'll withold judgement until I've seen how other users work out.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 6:02 PM   #76

try this:
buy an second OEM carts set, (identical, from Canon).
after the second carts set are empty, use the first set refilled,
and next use the second carts set refilled, and next use the first set refilled, and so on...
maybe rotate 3 set of oem carts...
( the memory of one cartrige is not very big, and an old chip used in the past will be forgotten)
if some one can try this... (I have an old pixma 4000)
plop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 8:20 PM   #77

This suggestion is similar to the technique used for certain HP models (using the chipped C6656 / C6657 cartridges for example). Those cartridges can have the ink level memory reset by:

a. a slightly complicated sequence of taping over particular contact pads, printing a test page, removing the tape, etc., OR;

b. having a set of three cartridges, refilling and then using them in exact sequence. Apparently the HP only remembers the ID number of the last two cartridges and then sees the third as being "virgin".

With Canon, .... maybe, maybe not. It'd beworth a try.
techdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 2:30 AM   #78

techdev:-wrote

Quote:
b. having a set of three cartridges, refilling and then using them in exact sequence. Apparently the HP only remembers the ID number of the last two cartridges and then sees the third as being "virgin".

With Canon, .... maybe, maybe not. It'd beworth a try.
Thanks for the suggestion Techdev , I have 3 sets of OEM , 2 are virgin, and the 3rd set are running on re-fill (the 4 small carts)(the Large black is indicating -Very Low).

My prime concern at the moment is to confirm I can run all 5 on re-fill with no problems. After this to discover how longI can keep this set going before the sponge starts to degenerate, then i will move to the next virgin set........so it may be some time before I can fully test this theory........( I paid a lot for these carts! )

I will admit I have swopped carts in and out but only over two sets. The 3rd set are not out of the packaging yet, (and hopefully wont be for some time)
headphonesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 2:50 AM   #79

I don't know how likely this is to work but it's definitely worth a shot. That said I doubt somehow it'll work... One easy way to check would be to try swapping the cartridges into a new printer and seeing if it accepts them or not. That way there'd be no "memory" except on the chips themselves... I'm guessing there's no such lack of memory but it is just a guess.

Anyway, to change tack a little I was looking at the cartridges yesterday and I realised there's a change in the design that hasn't been noted before. I'm starting to wonder if Canon have included additional prisms into the cartridge especially at the front (behind the clip). Part of me wonders if this might account for the problems some people have reported with refilling and it might cause problems with alternative cartridges.

It's a very wild idea and I haven't had a chance to rip apart a cartridge yet but I thought I'd drop it into the discussion as it might break something else loose in someone elses noggin.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 2:53 AM   #80

techdev wrote:
Quote:
Apparently the HP only remembers the ID number of the last two cartridges and then sees the third as being "virgin".
I think the problem with the Canon carts may be that it's not the host printer that remembers cart ID's, but the chips themselves that tell the printer they are empty.

Question: has anybody tried putting a cart that thinks it is empty in a different printer yet? What does the ink monitor display?????

:?
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote