Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:52 PM   #1

Hmm Weird thing is happening to me lately...I think ive had nearly every problem imagineable with my epson but never this one.

My prints lately have been strange again. I swear i have cartridges die on me every 100 prints...What happens is i get vertical color lines that are very very small but noticeable upclose on a print...I even replace the cartridges and guess at which color is going bad and usually that fix's the problem.

I have a CIS and a system from JLW.

Anyways my problem recently is my Nozzle check print's are showing up quite strange. My yellow on my nozzle check looks entirely light magenta/orangeish.

I have cleaned the print heads with the strip of lint free cloth method and windex as well as doing drips on the cleaning pads...

I waste incredibly too much ink (luckily have the waste ink mod installed hehe). Anyways I am wandering what the problem could be? I was thinking the light magenta was leaking onto the spike in the yellow or something similar..but from what i can see that doesnt seem to be the case..
Kenjii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2006, 6:14 AM   #2

If the light magenta was leaking, it would only run down into the printer mechanism -- the spike orifice is inside the cartridge when installed.

Are you certain you haven't put the wrong ink in a bottle/cartridge?
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 1:39 PM   #3

re the lines u mention

i had similar problem with an older epson printer, it gave random very thin blue lines on images

if thats what shows on yours then the news is bad.........the heads are shot

too much to have repaired against cost of a new printer, they do wear out :-(
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 2:18 PM   #4

Positive idle...as i just did a few more clean cycles and my nozzzle check is yellow now..

so theres nothing i can do to fix the lines? i always have htis problem heh
Old Mar 13, 2006, 6:16 PM   #5

If you got it to come good with head cleans, then the contamination can't be from the ink feed lines or the CIS -- the ink actually in the carts is fine.

Looks more like a fault inside the head assembly itself, allowing ink to seep between two adjacent passages when the printer is idle -- light magenta into the yellow would be more obvious than yellow into the LM, but it could easily be going both ways.

If that's indeed the case, there's not much you can do about it -- I think the head assemblies are unrepairable items, and replacement would cost more than the printer is worth.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:23 PM   #6

interesting..

Yeah i was thinking along the same lines idle of it seeping through two adjacent pasages...

AS for now my Light magenta cartridge died it seems within a week of use....i did 3+ cleans and my LM cartridge is showing very little lines at all....These printers are quite disposable..

Ive only done around 500 prints so far (on glossy paper)...strange that the print heads would die this early dont you think?
Old Mar 14, 2006, 1:57 AM   #7

Heh replaced the cartridge tonight..the light magenta...same problem..basically blank nozzle checks for the LM or near blank. I tried doing a few purge sheets of just LM color but that did not seem to improve the color at all..was very inconsistant..So you guys think the heads are shot?

What disposable POS's...500 prints and this :P
Old Mar 23, 2006, 8:03 PM   #8

I put Epson Original cart's in the printer out of curiousity to see what would happen.

same results. so its definately a problem in the print head assembly..

anyway of dissasembling this sob and trying to fix the issue i have? or should i just buy a new Epson. (im thinking about getting a r200)

Whats your take on refurbished epson printers as well?
Old Mar 24, 2006, 2:13 AM   #9

One thing you could try is to put some Windex in a syringe, connect it to the ink feeder spike on the offending head and push some through (don't use a lot of pressure -- the things are flimsy...), put the cart back and leave it at least overnight before running a head clean or two.

If this doesn't work, probably the head is shot.

Re refurbs, I understand that in the areas where Epson sell them (not mine, unfortunately) they come with a full 12 months warranty and new carts.

In that case, what's to lose?

Old Mar 24, 2006, 3:50 AM   #10

Just a thought but you mentioned that you have the waste ink tank mod on your printer... have you checked to make sure that you haven't got any ink running back into the sponge and thus contaminating the printhead when it comes to rest?

I had the same problem recently with my own R300 and it was due to the tubing reaching a point higher than the print head.

You could check this and try reducing the max height of the tubing before you opt for a new printer...

Like I said, just a thought... :arrow:
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote