Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 14, 2006, 7:08 PM   #1

I have been using the Canon Pixma and i9900 for quite a while. I want to switch to a color laser printer. Can anyone recommend a good color photo laser? I looked at the Magicolor but they look cheap and the color pictures don't stand out? I am looking for something with comparable output to the Canon i9900. It's just getting too expensive for ink when you start printing out a lot of pictures larger than 8x10.

Thanks,

Tony
Tonyv49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2006, 8:46 PM   #2

To Tonyv49,

1. Color lasers have only become recently affordable. But the one area they stumble on quality is precisely the area of photoprinting---where even an el cheapo ink jet printer will produce better output.

2. Nor is a color Laser that attractive or competitive on consumable color costs. Being on par with Canon printers using the BCI-3&6 cartridge line comparing OEM cartridges to OEM toner. Worse yet, many consumer Lasers in the $300 range short shot their drums and soon you are looking to replace four Laser cartridges for more than you paid for the Laser printer new.

3. You have the raw materials in a Canon i9900 to produce the best and cheapest photoprints if you refill with quality ink. ---- at a cost no Laser can even touch.

Do you refill your own ink cartridges in the i9900?
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 9:04 PM   #3

No, I buy the Canon cartridriges at Staples. I read where the Chroma-Plus inks last longer.

Since I sent the last message I read Canon is coming out qith a 10 color inkjet in April. I think I will wait to see how that looks. It will accept paper up to 8.5 x 14. That's perfect for what I do. Do you know of a good discount cartridge company?

The more I get into photography and printing...the more confused I get.

Thabks for the help

Tony
Tonyv49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:22 PM   #4

Tonyv49 wrote:
Quote:
No, I buy the Canon cartridriges at Staples. I read where the Chroma-Plus inks last longer.

Since I sent the last message I read Canon is coming out qith a 10 color inkjet in April. I think I will wait to see how that looks. It will accept paper up to 8.5 x 14. That's perfect for what I do. Do you know of a good discount cartridge company?

The more I get into photography and printing...the more confused I get.

Thabks for the help

Tony
The new 10 color inkjet comming in April is a pigment printer. They also have a dye model which may or may not be better than what you already own. Keep in mind you already own something that is pretty top notch. Also there presently are not aftermarket cartridges for those printers. First issue is the new printers are chipped and there are no 3rd party chips available, and the for 10 color pigment printer the ink may not have been duplicated.

http://pixma-faq.periastron.com/10.html

I have a small list of non-OEM ink suppliers. Might want to check with alotofthings, e-mail them or phone and ask which cartridge is filled with formulabs ink, it's reported to being one of the better choices, along with imagespecalists.Nifty-Stuff Forums
Nifty's forums is the place where the most dialog goes on regarding 3rd party ink and cartridges.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:10 AM   #5

To tonyv49,

Now that its established that your best cost saving measure to date is using staples cartridges,
I know where you are---probably in an area where you at best save by a factor of 2x over Canon Oem
prices. Other third party prefilled cartridge vendors can get you into a up an 8x territory with no real loss of quality. But there are a plethora of such vendors, some very good, some not so good, and price is seldom a good predictor.--------rather than recommend a given brand---I would rarther refer you to the "nifty stuff forums"
where extensive reviews of these products can be found.----just google the name without the quotes.

But the larger savings are to be found refilling your own cartridges.------and then---depending on your order size,
you can save on the order of 45x over Canon Oem. With the added Bonus, that the BCI-6 cartridges are bar none the easiest cartridges on the planet to refill. I have costed out what Canon Charges per gallon of usable BCI-6 cartridge ink-------its on the order of $4300 per US gallon.--when bought--full list price---in the form of a BCI-6 cartridge--------and the $4300 looks like a bargain compaired to what HP and Lexmark charges. A volume refiller can get that same US gallon of high quality ink for about $100.---maybe $200. when bought in more usuable lots sizes like eight ounces. I can state that there seems to be three highly recommended Canon compatable inks--and those are MIS, forulalabs, and a new outfit called hobbicolors---that have an innovatibe screw seal virgin cartridges to add to the mix real cheap.

But now you add the question of archival quality and perhaps address a future coming canon pro 9500 Canon model using pigment based inks. But that is an Epson been there done that---in general a pigment based ink is much better for archival fade resistance--but comes at a price of less vibrant colors---more muted and muddy
than dye based ink. But when talking dye based ink, I see little evidence that the new chromalife dye based inks are much better-----and actually any concerned with fade resistance of output will find more benefits with changing photo paper rather than ink. -----------look for a thread an excellent thread on fading by grandad35 on the nifty stuff forums.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:18 AM   #6

I print 4x6's mostly and find its way cheaper to do so at Costco for $0.18 per print. Plus the regular ink I use is fine for type but not so good for photos. But for odd sizes I print them out.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote