Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:57 PM   #1

I know some of you Experts out there can help me out with this one....It seems my r300 has really bit the dust..after 500 prints of glossy...560 to be exactly...

My printheads seem to be screwed overall as there seems to be an adjacent leak from the LM to the Yellow...

Anyways! I have a CIS and i am deciding whether or not to get another r300 or r200...Since epson's are quite disposable (besides the waste ink mod, which by the way is quite helpful), i see the epsons as quite disposable printers..Therefore i would like to save some money and just buy a r200 since my ink system will work on it..

My questions regards the ink useage. I have heard somewhat that the R200 does use more ink than the R300. Could anyone clear this rumor up for me and explain why if One does use more ink than another (i am talking about how fast it will go through a cartridge). Some tell me it goes faster than a r300 and some say slower than a r200. Any clearing up of the confusion Would be much appreciated!
Kenjii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2006, 2:28 AM   #2

Kenjii wrote:
Quote:
I know some of you Experts out there can help me out with this one....It seems my r300 has really bit the dust..after 500 prints of glossy...560 to be exactly...

Sorry I don't have technical details on the r200 vs r300. I rather thought that they were basicly the same print engine. But if you want to save money hit the epson referb store. The R300 for example is $69.00 and there "is" free shipping. The R200 is $59.00. Both are less than a 6 pack of ink from your friendly neighborhood store. "near" as i'm aware both still carry the 1 year warranty.

I've not actually taken the time to evaluate the r300 and r200 side by side, nor the r340, but according to the epson specs they print at identical speeds.

Though, given your low printcount, you should be within the 1 year warranty.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 1:54 PM   #3

I remember reading in this forum that the R300 does indeed use more ink than the R200,it appears that when using the built in card reader extra cleaning cycles are used,I dont think that it uses more ink if the card reader is not used.
fperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:55 AM   #4

just wondering ........ur doing over 500 a4 glossy prints?

if so thats not bad as the printer isnt a professional piece of kit

if the printer is under 12 months old it should be covered by epson warranty

maybe it would be better if u moved up to a professional epson printer??

i have printed out in excess of the amount you have done and accept the fact that for £60 they do an exceptional job, personaly im not intrested in the r300 as id never use the card slot so i just see the extra as a waste

id never buy refurbished either, worth putting a few extra £s to a new one with 12 months full warranty
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 5:53 PM   #5

Reanimator wrote:
Quote:
id never buy refurbished either, worth putting a few extra £s to a new one with 12 months full warranty
I checked and the US edition the referb from Epson does carry with it the full 12 month warranty...at 34 quid including shipping. Near as i'm aware stores charge $100 USD or close to 60 quid, for the r220, plus tax or shipping depending. While one might choose new over referb, you have to admit something that you can buy when you already have a CIS that comes with a full set of ink that you wouldn't have any problem selling for close to what you paid is a "good deal" esp for something that is, to be fair, a throwaway printer.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 9:34 AM   #6

wasnt aware the carried a fresh 12 month warranty of refurbs, thats a bonus then

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"are u in the usa? id like to get hold of the high end printers myself here in england if they are available

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"here in england its just more to refill the printer that to buy a new one, thats using epson ink LOL.......which hardly anyone does. they must loose loads on money to compatable manufacturers by charging such high prices, think its about £11 or $17 a cart x6 !!!
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 7:36 PM   #7

i wonder if a refurb will have any problems at all? is it worth the risk to buy a refurb or just to buy it new. 59$ is tempting though :X

i have my CIS so i just need a printer to hook it up too since mine is dead
Old Mar 23, 2006, 7:37 PM   #8

btw it was approximately 560 sheets of glossy kirkland paper (full sheets)

that i did. still think thats decent lifespawn of a printer? heh
Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:24 PM   #9

Kenjii wrote:
Quote:

i have my CIS so i just need a printer to hook it up too since mine is dead

btw it was approximately 560 sheets of glossy kirkland paper (full sheets)

that i did. still think thats decent lifespawn of a printer? heh
Well, if you did lots of other printing, i'd say sure. If you didn't, i'd say dang poor. I worked out the math at somepoint what the canons were estimated at assuming 50% yield but for the life of me I can't remember what it was, but i'm sure it's beyond 560 pages.

But yes, the $60 pricetag is pretty damned attractive esp if your a CIS user and sell your OEM ink on e-bay. Even if it only sold for $30 bucks that's a $30 spair that will get more ink through warranty replacement if it fails.

Old Apr 5, 2006, 7:08 PM   #10

I will probably Keep the carts incase my CIS ever gets hurt...and Try a refurb out ^^

all the printing i did was that 560 sheets..yes im surprised too..oh well