Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 14, 2006, 5:29 AM   #141

davidw89 wrote:
Quote:
I just bought the hobbi colour and a ful lset of MIS + the black dye. I wanted t oget 2 oz of the other 4 colour but that would shift the postage up to $25 (originall $12) so i dont see the point of doing that.

I was considering an CIS but why in the heck do they cost like $200+
I was wondering that myself and thought you might be mistaken but having looked at the instructions for the iP4200 kit by MIS I think I know why... If you check it seems they are using a full set of original cartridges by Canon so you don't have to do any chip swapping with your own originals.. That set of carts has to cost a fair bit in itself so they'll be passing it on.

Also the kit seems to take account of virtually every aspect of CIS installation that I came a cropper on when I was building my own kits and I have to say I'm impressed by some of the solutions they've come up with..

Add to that, you're getting around 125ml (4oz) of ink in your bottles and another 20ml in the tubing and cartridges (they're prefilled after all) and you see why it's all adding up.

Not the cheapest option in CIS kits by far but hopefully I'll be grabbing one soon and doing a comparison with the echostore offering at some point in the future.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 2:55 AM   #142

Hey i should be getting my inks soon.

But with al lthe informations out there i have not been able to find a video isntruction that tells me how to refill these ink. Anyone know any?
davidw89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 3:37 AM   #143

davidw89 wrote:
Quote:
Hey i should be getting my inks soon.

But with al lthe informations out there i have not been able to find a video isntruction that tells me how to refill these ink. Anyone know any?
There are some, as linked in my reply to your post on MIS forum.

The written instructions are pretty comprehensive though so try re-reading them carefully and then work through them slowly.

Worth noting that some browsers have problems with the MPG videos so try opening them in Internet explorer if it looks like it's skipping whole sections..
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 8:33 AM   #144

What CIS system did you use?* I just bought one from www.echostore.com
babut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 7:44 AM   #145

I have set up about 50 CFS for iP4200/iP5200 with no problems and my own printers have done over 15000 pages each with no drama -until now.

I suddenly got an error message saying same cartridge was installed twice in printer (iP4200) and 15 orange flashes. No luck in getting the printer to work, and after cold start, I got an error message saying replace all cartridges with lights out, and 13 orange flashes. The cartridges in the printer had their chips disabled several months ago and they had gone through more than a litre of ink each. At this stage all the cartridges were flashing on and off at the change cartridge position, so the chips were not dead

So I removed the CFS from the printer and installed it in another CFS iP4200 which was working OK, and straight away, soon as the printer fired up and sent the cartridges to the left side, got the same message and 13 flashes. So removed the CFS and replaced it with the CFS which was on the printer previously and working no probs and same thing, the error message and 13 flashes. So now I have two iP4200 which will not accept any Canon cartridges with disabled chips.

So it appears that the printer is reading the disabled chips, then generating an error message and 13 orange flashes. This is recorded in the printers firmware and any subsequent cartridges with chips which have been disabled will be rejected.

So I do not yet know if there is a limited life to the chips after they have been disabled, or whether Canon has got smart and revised the printers firmware tocause these problems, but it appears, until a solution is found, that once the chips start this error, they have to be disposed off, they are like a virus and will infect any printer they are used in. I do not know if these printers will work again if a new set of cartridges are installed, they are so expensiveI ambetter off disposing of the printer than buying a new set of cartridges.

So have cranked up another new CFSiP4200 today and will see how it goes, so far it has disabled the CL-5BK chip OK, will be interesting to see how much use I get out of it after all the chips have been disabled. The first iP4200 I converted to CFS went for ages with no problems and I just wore it out, is Canon modifying the firmware on these later printers to prevent this - it would be easy for them to do this withthese smart chips

I tried doing the waste tank overflow reset on the printers that were giving 13 flashes but no luck

Anybody experienced a similar problem?

Anybody know how to clear the memory in the firmware so I can try and get rid of the error message and get the printers going again. It would be interesting to see if the error message can be cleared and the cartridges installed again, would they immediately cause the printer to give the same error message or not?

Beware of CFS tanks that feed the ink from the bottom, in time it is likely that any residue or sediment that ends up on the bottom of the tank will end up in the cartridge, a tubeleading from the top of the bottle and clearing the bottom of the bottle is much safer
laikanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:43 AM   #146

laikanuki:

Outstanding information, suggestions and questions. Enquiring minds want to know!

If Canon has modified their firmware to disable the printer from using any third party solution, then a possible class action lawsuit may develop traction, though the validity of the claim might rest upon the question of intellectual property rights of Canon may be abridged by using their chips from empty cartridges to "hack" the system. At the very least, Canon will lose good will and faith of a sizable number of consumers preferring to purchase from less perjorative manufacturer.

If Canon is purposefully boobytrapping their printers I willpurchase an Epson next. I just don't like being treated as fodder for the shareholders.

Wouldn't it be great if Canon just lowered the price of their ink to a reasonable level? Presto... no more need for expensive chipped carts or Macheavalian firmware becauseeveryone would buy your ink. This would generate such media buzz and consumer goodwill that would drive sales further, making up for any initial profit loss by greater sales volume.

Hello Canon... anyone listening?
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 10:39 AM   #147

Quote:
n can sell some more So it appears that the printer is reading the disabled chips, then generating an error message and 13 orange flashes. This is recorded in the printers firmware and any subsequent cartridges with chips which have been disabled will be rejected.
Quote:
I do not know if these printers will work again if a new set of cartridges are installed, they are so expensiveI ambetter off disposing of the printer than buying a new set of cartridges.
This is very worrying..and confusing. The printer does check what status carts are loaded each time its powered up , the fact that it also monitors dead re-fill carts for further firings orthe measurement of a time period AFTERwarning is really over the top !..........I would hope it can take proper carts again, so Canon can sell some more ink worth more than gold. If not...they have really shot themselves in the foot....nobody is going to replace a printer of that description.

I seem to remember the guy who had the lock out was ok once he had put a set of proper carts in....and the switched back ...but i could be wrong ,(I bloody hope I`m not !)

edit at 16.51
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...539373#p539373

hmmmm....seems similar

headphonesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 9:54 AM   #148

Having a heck of a time getting the ip4200 to print. I refilled the magenta cartridge (drilled small hole in the top, refilled tank, then hot glued) Got all the warnings (your printer will blow up, etc.) and continued printing. Though my refilled magenta cartridge is full, that color does not print. I even turned the cart upside down and let some ink wick through that way, thinking maybe the sponge was too dry. Still no luck. Is there some way that this printer is refusing to print with the refilled cartridge?
matotanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 9:55 AM   #149

Amen!
matotanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:06 AM   #150

matotanka wrote:
Quote:
Having a heck of a time getting the ip4200 to print. I refilled the magenta cartridge (drilled small hole in the top, refilled tank, then hot glued) Got all the warnings (your printer will blow up, etc.) and continued printing. Though my refilled magenta cartridge is full, that color does not print. I even turned the cart upside down and let some ink wick through that way, thinking maybe the sponge was too dry. Still no luck. Is there some way that this printer is refusing to print with the refilled cartridge?
Think you might get more of a response if you started a new thread :idea:
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote