Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 25, 2006, 7:12 PM   #151

laikanuki wrote:
Quote:
I have set up about 50 CFS for iP4200/iP5200 with no problems and my own printers have done over 15000 pages each with no drama -until now.
Well we'll soon know if the problem is a "time" issue as my kit has been running for about a month less than you...

Not looking forward to finding out if you're right... but I do believe the issue is resolvable given that previous issues with this sort of lockup have been resolved with a new cartridge (not even all of them IIRC).

As to resetting the EEPROM:
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1294
.. covered there...

Here's hoping you don't see more of this...
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 4:59 AM   #152

Quote:
What is resetting EEPROM? Is that like resetting the ink level? I thought they couldnt crack the chip yet? Edit: This is not a quote i just dont know how to remove this annoying thing.
davidw89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 6:08 PM   #153

seems what we need is not the ink nor the cartridge...its the CHIP.....lets start looking for a chip manufacturer...
benl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:25 PM   #154

I am really mad about this, went to buy new ink today and discovered the scummy way Canon forces you to buy their ink. I am not impressed, in fact I sent them a letter and an email, telling them that I will not be buying Canon printers any more. Any company that is that anti-competitive and anti-consumer does not get my money.

Jolard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:25 PM   #155

I fell the same..how would i be able to msg them as well?
Old Sep 20, 2006, 2:03 AM   #156

Can you please advise where parts and instructions to convert iP4200 to CIS can be purchased? Thanks BC
barrycrabbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 2:10 AM   #157

GUYS SEE THIS SITE --LOOKS like this is the chip we are looking for.. anybody you have tried this::

http://hfciss.en.alibaba.com/product...ter_Chips.html
benl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 8:55 AM   #158

Yeh but it doesnt say ip4200 compatiable?
Old Sep 27, 2006, 6:30 AM   #159

Hello, I'm new to the forum with some information on a relatively new iP5200R with the original carts from Canon. For those getting 13 or more orange flashes with refilled tanks, you might like to consider my experiences with only ever having used the original Canon carts without refilling or replacing.

The printer was bought from Amazon.de (Germany) in early August 2006 so the firmware is probably the latest.

Soon after installing I started occasionally receiving the 7 flashes with an error message telling me the carts where in the wrong position or that there were two of the same kind. Because the positions are color coded so it's just not possible to confuse the proper slots for the carts and put them in the wrong place. Also the cart causing the problem seems to be the PGI-5BK, which is wider than the others so it can only be inserted in one particular slot. So assuming it had something to do with the wireless setup (long story for another time) I recycled the power and the printer would continue correctly for a while.

Now after 6 weeks I am getting 13, 14, and sometimes 15 orange flashes complaining about the PGI-5BK. Its tank clearly has ink left, at least 1/2 full, but the printer refuses to accept it and refuses to print or respond to the reset button held for 5 seconds.

I have ordered a new canon cart to replace the dead one and it should be here in a couple of days. If it sheds light on the problem I will post the results. Obviously I can't use compatibles or refills with a possibly bad chip in one of the tanks.

Notice that I'm having a similar problem to others here, although I have not used refills or compatible carts.

The problem may run deeper: there's probably a bug in the cart checking mechanism in Canon's tanks and/or printer firmware that's causing users unnecessary aggravation. That is, in an attempt to catch non-Canon carts, they have overreached and are invalidating almost full Canon parts.

A cartridge is too expensive to throw one away half full!
seanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 3:20 PM   #160

At Last!!
Someone else with the the dreaded '15 flashes' message!
The red LEDs for two cartridges on my 4200 have gone out, I get 15 flashes and I cant get it to print no matter what I do. Is different software supplied with printers purchased in other countries? I'm in Australia. I have tried disabling ink monitoring with the reset procedure (...while pressing the reset button, press and hold the power button etc. etc....) mentioned in this and other forums but the printer won't accept it, nor do I have the option of disabling ink monitoring in the 'Maintenance' tab (ink counter reset). Downloading and re-installing the driver from the canon site results in a message something like "you already have the driver installed, idiot".
I am on a rather tight budget and just 'popping down to the cartridge supply shop' involves a half-hour each way drive. Refilling is the answer but the printer has successfully blocked me so far
Can you, Seanman, or anyone else offer any suggestions??

golddigger159 is offline   Reply With Quote