Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 28, 2006, 3:05 AM   #161

Sorry golddigger159, I have no way of knowing if different Canon firmware is sold into different geographical areas but it would be an easy thing for Canon to do. However that would raise their support costs so I don't think they'd do it lightly.

From having read a number of posts on this and other forums on the matter, the current solution seems to be to buy a genuine Canon part and resume refilling that new one when nearly empty.

My post was simply to raise the possiblility of a bug in Canon's software (firmware) in the tank checking routines. I have an older i950 with what appears to be a dead printhead and my only solution is to bite the bullet and press it back into service (a printhead costs about A$160 here in Germany).

At this point I am concluding that it was a mistake to buy any printer requiring a chip on the ink tanks. I'm guessing the resale value of the older printers has risen.

I'm also a long way from a retail source so I buy either from eBay or Amazon. When the new tank arrives I will post if I think it sheds any light on the problem. It's due today or tomorrow.
seanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 4:08 AM   #162

Hi Barry, There are CISS units available for the IP4200 from www.rihac.com.au they were reviewed in this months Computer Trader Magazine in Aus. I've got one on our MP830 and an IP4200....brilliant

Sam Cahir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 4:10 AM   #163

Hi Barry, There are CISS units available for the IP4200 from www.rihac.com.au they were reviewed in this months Computer Trader Magazine in Aus. I've got one on our MP830 and an IP4200....brilliant

Sam Cahir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:18 AM   #164

Sam Cahir wrote:
Quote:
Hi Barry, There are CISS units available for the IP4200 from http://www.rihac.com.au they were reviewed in this months Computer Trader Magazine in Aus. I've got one on our MP830 and an IP4200....brilliant
Sam:

Could you please provide some photos of the CISS on the MP830.Did you have to cut or modify the printer? Does the CISS work without having to leave the lid open? Thanks.
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 4:22 PM   #165

how about the chip that was transplanted to your ciss cartridge? was it reprogramed or resetted?

I guess this still function to stop your printer after some time.. please let us know.

thanks.
benl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 4:24 PM   #166

Sam,

how about the chip that was transplanted to your ciss cartridge? was it reprogramed or resetted?

I guess this still function to stop your printer after some time.. please let us know.

thanks,

benl

Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:24 PM   #167

Here are instructions on how to re-fill and get around the chip

http://www.discountcartridge.com/instructions.html

Take care
Walt
maui_dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2006, 4:02 PM   #168

Here are instructions on how to re-fill and get around the chip

http://www.discountcartridge.com/instructions.html

Take care
Walt
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

this works only up toFOURTH "empty"cartridge.. Printer totally stops when all theFIVE cartridges indicate "empty" even though they are refilled , a new oem or unexhausted(chip which detection sensor and function have notyet been disabled) cartridge or chip is needed tomake the printer print again

benl
Old Nov 3, 2006, 4:15 PM   #169

benl wrote:
Quote:
this works only up toFOURTH "empty"cartridge.. Printer totally stops when all theFIVE cartridges indicate "empty" even though they are refilled , a new oem or unexhausted (chip which detection sensor and function have notyet been disabled) cartridge or chip is needed tomake the printer print again
Hi Benl,

Can I ask if this is something you've seen yourself or whether this is something you've experienced directly?

I ask because I have a number of CIS kits in my iP4200 and MP500 printers and haven't experienced this at all... Granted I only have one machine which has ALL cartirdges as showing empty but it has worked now for 3 months without any problems.

I am starting to wonder if perhaps the problem is that people are removing and refilling their last cartridge with the printer powered up. It may be that the printer is recognising that the cart has been removed and won't accept anything other than a genuine cart after that.

If anyone can provide some input on this in detail I'm sure it'd be useful.

BTW.. sorry I've been away so long... work, life, oh and getting engaged sort of got in the way
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2006, 5:52 PM   #170

websnail wrote:
Quote:
BTW.. sorry I've been away so long... work, life, oh and getting engaged sort of got in the way
Congrats Websnail - glad to hear you've got a life.. I mean wife :-)
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote