Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 3, 2006, 9:31 PM   #171

websnail wrote:
Quote:
I am starting to wonder if perhaps the problem is that people are removing and refilling their last cartridge with the printer powered up. It may be that the printer is recognising that the cart has been removed and won't accept anything other than a genuine cart after that.
Interesting comment.

After I turn the power off on my MP830 the cartridges are moved over to the right side (from my perspective) and are hidden within the printer. How do youremove the cartridge with the power off? Are you pulling the plug while the printer is turned on after lifting the lid to center the cartridges or is it your printer model performs differently?

I have wondered about retaining one OEM cartridge while refilling the others as a possibility. Is this a valid workaround, one of those Canon chip malfunctions that work in our favor, or does it not matter as you imply? I have a OEM Canon Cyan cartridge that errors out that Canon Support says is a bad chip. I just take it out, reinsert and it prints for a while until it decides to malfunction again.

Congrats on the engagement!
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2006, 9:51 PM   #172

Stratman wrote:
Quote:
After I turn the power off on my MP830 the cartridges are moved over to the right side (from my perspective) and are hidden within the printer. How do youremove the cartridge with the power off? Are you pulling the plug while the printer is turned on after lifting the lid to center the cartridges or is it your printer model performs differently?
Basically, have the printer on, open the lid.. wait for the carriage to move to the center and pull the plug or just turn it off at the plug.. just not turn it off on the printer.

Quote:
I have wondered about retaining one OEM cartridge while refilling the others as a possibility. Is this a valid workaround, one of those Canon chip malfunctions that work in our favor, or does it not matter as you imply? I have a OEM Canon Cyan cartridge that errors out that Canon Support says is a bad chip. I just take it out, reinsert and it prints for a while until it decides to malfunction again.
Hard to say but I think having spares around can't be a bad thing.. Malfunctioning chips are a good thing in the long run though because it'll be that that causes Canon to rethink.

Quote:
Congrats on the engagement!
Thanks all... 2008 is going to get here in a rush I reckon
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 10:41 AM   #173

Websnail:

As I thought. Thanks!
Old Nov 8, 2006, 9:30 AM   #174

Sorry if it has been asked before, but how is the current 4300 different from this 4200?
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 1:27 AM   #175

Hi everyone.

I've seen alot of banter here about CIS systems.

We are an Australian company based in Melbourne and have developed stable CIS systems for the new canon printers IP4200, IP4300, IP5200, IP5300, IX4000, IX5000, MP500, MP530, MP800 and MP830.

We are presently working on the very latest such as the 600. OK down to basics. It seems that a few had issues with CISS systems for the IP4000 etc. This is mainly due the rubber head seals which seal against the cartridge. In these models the head seals were hollow and about 6mm in height. Over time these would compress etc and allow air to enter your cartridge. In short Canon identified this issue which used to mean numerous head cleans and striations (lines) in your prints. The new printers have a 2mm seal which is far more solid allowing for a muchbetter head seal and no air breach. We now distribute approximately 1,000 units per month for the new Canon printers into mainstream computer stores in Victoria and export small amounts overseas. We have developed a 100% reliable CISS which was reviewed in the Computer trader magazine issue 479 (October 2006). We are continually developing the CISS range and have negligable issues at this point. A number of problems I have read in the forum are relatively simple to solve and when I get some more time I'll certainly try to conribute a bit more to assit as many as I can, especially with chip issues.

Please feel free to visit our website www.rihac.com.au and look at our systems.

Basically I started the company by purchasing every CISS I could find and then pinched to good bits and developed a hybrid system which has become extremely popular. We import our inks from the US as we found that the majority of CISS systems use ink from Asia which has a very high alcohol concentration and little if no UV absorbing compounds. These inks are model specific (i.e. profiled to the series for which they are used). If anyone has any questions etc please feel free to email us at info@rihac.com.au

There is some feedback regarding our systems mentioned within these forums and also on our website and also on our Ebay listings. Our bigger clients include Centrecom computer stores in Victoria andAncestary Victoria to name a few.

Regards,

Sam Cahir

www.rihac.com.au
Sam Cahir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 8:10 AM   #176

That sounds like a ad to me............... :-x
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 10:14 AM   #177

The post by Sam Cahir for his Rihac CIS Pixma series printer is a an advertisement of sorts, but reading his PDF on installing the CIS in chipped cartridge Canon printers makes a good point or two. For instance, he explains failure of a transplanted chip to be recognized is due to either the chip being out of alignment on the new cartridge or that the LED is obscured. I don't know if this would help those that have had to keep one OEM Canon cartridge installed to keep things functioning as I have read.

The CIS instructions also has a novel way of routing the tubing for the MP8xx which does not require the lid to be cracked open and appears to not permanently alter the printer or interfere with functioning. He routes the tubing through an opening created by removing the grey plastic piece with the swinging flap that is attched to the lid and located above the CD tray guide / insertion area. The tubing is routes along the upper edge of interiorwall where printed paper is ejected. See page 12 of his manual for pictures and info: http://www.rihac.com.au/instructions/canon/IP4200.pdf.

I'm not schilling for the company but think the CIS, andinstallation procedure, are interesting and the best thought out mass manufactured model I've seen so far.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:42 PM   #178

I've been reading this forum since April, when I bought my first Canon MP800. I've learned alot. Thanks everybody.

I've been having problems with what I thought were printhead clogs, but after buying an MP530 and using one of the old inkcarts in the new printer I started having the same symptom of a clogged printhead, or so I thought. Looks like it's a worn out or gunked up sponge in the cart. I switched back to the new inkcart and the problem went away. I had a similar problem with another cart about a month ago and flushing it with water and drying it out brought it back to life.

Moral of the story, don't assume it's the printhead.

Anyway this is my 1st post and what finally got me to post was I've been wanting to try a CIS system. Some of the stuff Sam said and the detailed info in the pdf files on his site got me interested in one of his systems, so I'm going to give it go and report back after I receive it. The one I ordered is for the MP530.

justintempler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 3:31 PM   #179

Stratman wrote:
Quote:
http://www.rihac.com.au/instructions/canon/IP4200.pdf.

I'm not schilling for the company but think the CIS, andinstallation procedure, are interesting and the best thought out mass manufactured model I've seen so far.
I have to say that that is probably one of the best instruction sets to date and an interesting way of routing the tubing especially for MP units. For all that though they could have provided a bit more detail especially with respect to placing the holder arm and a few more photos.

Still better than most of the current options..
Old Nov 28, 2006, 1:31 PM   #180

Thought I'd share a new twist in the problems people have mentioned about the Canon chipped printers.

I recently purchased a set of empty Canon cartridges from eBay... Carts were empty and still had the original chips installed so it was an easy step to converting them all into a CIS kit and installing them into a brand new printer.

Now I should note that I refilled the cartridges BEFORE I installed them into the printer for the first time.. Basically this printer had NEVER seen these cartridges before.

Installation proved fine but the printer noticed that the cartridges were used as it marked them all as "low ink" but printed fine.

After some printing it started declaring cartridges as empty but the warnings did not include the normal "3 warning" routine.. instead it's just been declaring them as empty and that I can use them as part of an "ink out" status. You get to press the resume button for 5 seconds and the printer continues printing as normal.. Ok.. that's fine to a point but what's particularly weird is that the printer is still showing a "low ink" level for the cartridges that it's decided are "empty".

Given reports in the past I'm now willing to bet that I will soon see a 4rd cartridge go "empty", continue to work but it'll refuse to print at all when the 5 cartridge is finally declared completely empty. This is a guess but I think the printer is confused by the fact that it has empty cartridges but that they have ink in them and it can't cope.

I may try this again in the future but it may be necessary to get a different set of cartridges/chips on this printer and get the printer to recognise them full and empty before disabling the cartridge as normal and THEN be able to replace the current CIS I have.. No idea if it'll work but it does seem to be what people who hit problems were experiencing..