Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 29, 2006, 3:18 AM   #181

I am thinking about setting up a CISS for a Canon iP5200 and downloaded the Rihac CISS manual. Looking at the way the top lid is kept partially open when the CISS is in place: why did Canon fit a Z-hinge on that top lid? Are there Z-hinges on the iP4200/iP4300/iP5300 models?

I'm wondering if a CISS couldn't be fitted through the back of the lid with the feed tubes following the path of the print head cables, as in the example of a CISS in action on an iP3000 at this link:

9to6 Cartridges forum:Solutions for Canon continuous ink system Printing Problems

pixmarmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 3:36 AM   #182

I would email Sam but others here would probably ask the same questions....

His Ebay page states his CIS (atleast for the the MP530) uses a spongeless cartridge but his PDF talks about the sponge in the cart. Which is it?

The silicone seals that are added to the printhead (for a better seal) Do they go over the exsisting seals in the stock printhead or are they a replacement for the exsisting seals?
justintempler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 1:28 PM   #183

justintempler wrote:
Quote:
The silicone seals that are added to the printhead (for a better seal) Do they go over the exsisting seals in the stock printhead or are they a replacement for the exsisting seals?
There's two types out there that I've seen..

One replaces the original rubber seals completely with a thick silicon pad that's cut to fit.. They work really well but word of warning, be careful how you install them.. I'd recommend you put the silicon loosely in the right position and then use the old rubber seal over the top to push down on the silicon one to get it sited properly.

I made the mistake of using a tool to push my first couple of seals into place and caused intentations in the silicon that don't pop back out so I caused a few problems with air leaks. Using the technique above (ie: using the rubber seal as a cover) worked very well.

The other type of seal available (newer it seems) is a thin silicon seal that just sits on top of the original rubber one. Haven't tried using this one as yet (I have both types) but I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't work as I've made my own silicon seals from silicon tape and they've worked perfectly.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 4:07 AM   #184

Hi Everyone, I tried to post a reply the other day to some of the questions but it came up blank for some reason. There were a few questions raised about our CISS units and a couple of forum questions which I think we can help with.

1- Spongeless CISS cartridges. All our new Canon units IP4300 UP utilise spongeless cartridges. We imported a number of cartridges from overseas and found varying results. The biggest issue was retaining enough pressure (isobaric eqiliibrium) to ensure the printer functioned as normal under low ink (in the reservoirs) conditions. We ended up not using import carts and making our own. The main issues were providing channels internal to the cartridge to retain enough pressure inside the cartridge under low ink conditions. All our systems post IP4000 utilise these new cartridges. The other issue with the imports was that they failed over time. Each cartridge we tested for the Canon had a soft plastic side which allows the cartridge to contractwhen dispersing ink. We found that theseals fail over time as they a simply glued in place. The lower thegradeof ink used (higher alcohol concentration) also contributed to breaking down the glue, causing carridges to leak. We decided to hot mould the film in place whichworks far more effectively long term.

2 - Silicon washers (seals): The IP4000 and it's predecessors had a fault in the print head (not that Canon would tell you that) in that the rubber grommet that the cartridge seats against is around 5-6mm in height and hollow. This means that it compresses and can allow air to enter the cartridge from the base. As a cartridge disperses ink it contracts and usually gets air from thevent in the top. In the IP4000 (and prior models) thepath of least resistance is under this grommet or between the grommet (due to compression) and the cartridge base. This means air enters from the bottom instead of the top. This causes anair forge and/or lines in your printing. We introduced the silicon seal in the IP4000 models to counter this problem.The new IP4200 (onwards) use adifferent grommet which is 2mm in heightand far more solid. We still use the seal as the grommet is stillhollow, however testinghas proven thatwhilst the seal is necessary the cartridge does not suffer as the IP4000 did.

Hope this all helps.

I see that someone mentioned that ourlast post sounded like an add.Wellin a wayit is but we are a small company comprising of 4 people and westarted like most of the forum users asCanon printer owners who just wanted a cheaper way of printing. We started importing cheap CISS units from China and soon realised that they were not worth the trouble so designed our own (Well pinched existing ideas and built on them).We are keen to make the best CISS systemat the most reasonable price so if anyone has suggestion please feel free to email us (info@rihac.com.au). We have grown so rapidly and the demand for our CISS now extends worldwide as we now export to the US and UK. We have just developed the IP4300 and IP5300 units as Canon changed the printers a little (cartridge lock).Again if anyone has suggestions please feel free to post them or email us as we are always looking for things to improve upon. And thanks to some forum users who emailed us with recommendations for changed to our manual which we have implemented.

Keep up the good work all, great forum and I'll return from time to time to asssist with any Canon or Epson related issues.

Sam Cahir

RIHAC Digital Solutions http://www.rihac.com.au
Sam Cahir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 4:18 AM   #185

Hi all, just a reply to pixmarmite r.e. the feeder tubes. The issue with this is you cannot allow the data cables to the printead to touch the silicone tubing. Obviously you can make physical changes to the printer BUT the idea is not to impact upon the printer while it is under warranty. We have spoken to Epson and Canon and clarified the following. They will not cover a warranty issue if a CISS is fitted!. They class CISS as a printer modification and will definitely not cover your warranty. So common sense prevails, do not physically alter the printer state until out of warranty. If a warranty issue develops remove a CISS and refit with genuine cartridges.

The z' lid of the IP4200 IP5200 works well but the IP5300 has a lid similar the the old IP4000/IP5000 which makes it impossible to run the tubing without the lid ajar slightly (2mm) which most people can live with when you consider a CISS costs around 70cAU per cartridge as opposed to $26.99AU.

Just a word of warning to all refillers and people considering CISS.Choose your ink provider carefully. Ink from Asiatends to have an extremely high amount of alcohol which leads todamaging your print head and very fast fading prints.Be very cautions of suppliers claiming there ink is imported from the US as most DYE bases are made there but then exported to ASIA for manufacturing.One way to tell cheap low grade ink is to smell it, low grade ink smells very chemically where better inks tend to notsmell.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Sam Cahir

RIHAC Digital Solutions

http://www.rihac.com.au
Old Dec 1, 2006, 4:23 AM   #186

Sam:

Could you please provide some photos of the CISS on the MP830.Did you have to cut or modify the printer? Does the CISS work without having to leave the lid open? Thanks

No modification are required to the printer the feeder tubes exit the front of the printer via the upper left side of the paper tray. You do not leave the lid open. If you take a look at our manual (http://www.rihac.com.au/instructions/canon/IP4200.pdf) you will see a picture and a better explanation of how it all works.

Regards,

Sam Cahir
Old Dec 1, 2006, 4:34 AM   #187

Sam,

how about the chip that was transplanted to your ciss cartridge? was it reprogramed or resetted?

I guess this still function to stop your printer after some time.. please let us know.

thanks,

benl

Benl,

The chips are removed from the genuine cartridges and attached to our CISS. Canon have been considerate enough to allow users to turn off the ink monioring after the chip indicates it is empty. So in the Case of a CISS you simply look at the reservoirs and refill as necessary. The chips never stop functioning. We have our original test MP830 which we have printer 50,000 prints out of. We have reset the waste ink pad a couple of times but the chips have never failed or stopped. The one biggest issue is the LED light and the accompanying reader inside the printer...If anything impacts on that light the printer will throw an error.

Basically in testing we established that each chip emitts a light from a small LED at the back of the chip (purpleish glow). As your cartridges head over to the left the lights are checked by the printer. If the lights cannot be detected or there is interference (i.e. some aftermarket cartridges now available get you to double sided tape the chip on.If the tape is over the LED it reduces or stops the light) the printer throws an error. In some cases this error message can be a bit bizzare...i.e. 'You have two Cyan cartridges installed'. As long as the chips are intact transplanting them to a third party cartridge or CISS they will work forever.

We have had the odd chip that fails for no apparent reason as with anything electrical, but for the most part they work forever.

I hope this answers your question but also feel free to look at one of our manuals and it step by step shows you how to reset the cartridges. Just go to our website www.rihac.com.au and go to the left hand side. Choose instructions and view or print the manaul.

Regards,

Sam Cahir

RIHAC DIgital Solutions (Australia)
Old Dec 1, 2006, 8:57 AM   #188

Sam Cahir wrote:
Quote:
We have reset the waste ink pad a couple of times but the chips have never failed or stopped.
Good information. I am considering one of your CISS for my MP830.

Please explain how you "reset the waste ink pad" in the MP830.

Also, how long do the spongeless cartridges last before you advise replacing them?

Thanks.
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 5:01 AM   #189

Hi Stratman, I think you need to adjust your clock as it threw me off with the date of your message bing 2005!!!!!.

Inside each printer is a counter run by the firmware. This counter estimates nozzle fires and calculates when the waste ink pad should be full. The waste ink pad is a pad in the base of the printer where all the ink from head cleans (done every so many prints and when you turn on and off your printer) goes. In reality the calculation is very conservative, also the ink tends to dry out so the pad is not as full as the printer believes.

On the MP830 you can enter the printers program mode and reset the counter as follows:

[align=left]Service Mode[/align]

[align=left]This unit has a service mode for service-related settings and for performing test prints. The operator panel buttons are used to enter the desired service mode.[/align]

[align=left]Service Mode Operations[/align]

[align=left]1) With the machine power turned off, while pressing the Stop/Reset button, press and hold the On/Off button. (DO NOT release the buttons.) The[/align]
[align=left]Copy button lights in green to indicate that a function is selectable.[/align]
[align=left]2) While holding the On/Off button, release the Stop/Reset button. (DO NOT release the On/Off button.)[/align]
[align=left]3) While holding the On/Off button, press the Stop/Reset button 2 times, and then release both the On/Off and Stop/Reset buttons. (Each time the[/align]
[align=left]Stop/Reset button is pressed, the Alarm LED and Copy button light alternately, Alarm in orange and Copy in green.)[/align]
[align=left]4) When the Copy button lights in green, press the Stop/Reset button the specified number of times according to the function listed below.[/align]

[align=left]Count Indicator Functions[/align]

[align=left]Zero times Green Power off[/align]
[align=left]1 time Orange Service test print[/align]
[align=left]2 times Green EEPROM information print[/align]
[align=left]3 times Orange EEPROM initialization[/align]
[align=left]4 times Green Waste ink counter resetting[/align]
[align=left]5 times Orange Destination settings[/align]
[align=left]6 times Green Print head deep cleaning[/align]
[align=left]7 times Orange LF correction[/align]
[align=left]11 times Orange Button and LCD test[/align]
[align=left]15 times Orange Waste ink amount setting[/align]
[align=left]12, 13, 16+ times Return to menu selection[/align]
[align=left]Hope this helps. We have most service manuals including the IP4200 which I will track down and post or add a link to our site. Regards, Sam Cahir. RIHAC DIgital Solutions Australia www.rihac.com.au and any questions people need urgently email to info@rihac.com.au and please post my reply for all.[/align]
Old Dec 2, 2006, 5:04 AM   #190

Sorry Stratman, forgot the other question...:idea: The beauty of spongeless cartridges is that in theory they should outlast the printer. We do carry empties in case of issues, I haven't listed them on our site yet as no one has needed them but I will list all CISS spares when I get a few spare minutes. The carts to replace are around the $3AU mark.

Sam Cahir.

RIHAC Digital Solutions Australia