Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 23, 2006, 4:57 PM   #11

Thanks for posting that up... looks pretty good and it'll help me with my own setup.

BTW... I've had a look at the iP4000 and installed an external waste tank on it recently so I'll be seeing if the iP4200 can be similarly modified and post up directions and images on how to complete it sometime soon..

websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 11:30 PM   #12

How do I get one of those CIS systems for my 4200?
Bmanetd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 4:25 PM   #13

Osage wrote:-

Quote:
My understading is that among other things, the chip counts nozzle
fires---and once that count gets to a certain point, the chip signals the printer that
the cartridge is empty. Regardless if you refilled the cartridge or not.

But the chip then pops up a screen warning you the cartridge is empty. But there is still
an option for the user to over-ride that warning--at which point another nag screen
pops up warning of dire damage and warranty voiding that can be in turn over ridden.
You can then continue to use that refilled cartridge but you lose ink monitoring. And you must repeat that process with each cartridge in your printer.---but you must have a chipped cartridge as the cartridge you refill/
Quote:
There are threads on this forum describing the proces in more detail. But maybe this is another option I have not heard of-----so I could be wrong and invite owners of chipped canons to confirm or deny.
I can confirm that these points are correct.

Keeping the carts topped up before receiving warnings has no effect, the count down of nozzle fires is advised to the chip regardless of the physical volume of the reservoir. Once "told "the chip stays "told".

Trying to trick the empty chip (or printer ?) by replacing with a "New " chipped cart and then substituting the old (after refill) does not work (cos it knows its supposed to be empty).

headphonesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:04 PM   #14

If you have gone through all the warnings and accept the warning of no ink level display.If you then add the proper cartridges does ithe printer then revert to original state? I have decided to get a extra new printer, price u/k 67 british pounds complete. price of cartridges 57 British pounds(hope the compats. and chip resetter not long)

Barn Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 1:40 PM   #15

Quote:
If you have gone through all the warnings and accept the warning of no ink level display.If you then add the proper cartridges does ithe printer then revert to original state?

My understanding is that if later decide to be a "good boy/girl" andrevert back to genuinechipped Canon carts..... the Steady red lights on the carts and ink level monitoring OSD will be restored to you ......but the Eprom will keep the record that you have been naughty...........

I have bought my standby (AND THE FINAL)...set of Genuine canon carts £50....I will refill these henceforth.....

Old Mar 29, 2006, 3:54 PM   #16

You do realize that a cartridge will only last for a finite number of refillings.

I unfortunately bought the canon ip6600 with chipped cartridges before I realized that Canon had pulled this incredibly stupid trick. I expect to be looking for another printer soon.

SLK

cshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 1:24 AM   #17

Quote:
You do realize that a cartridge will only last for a finite number of refillings.

Yes I do.........5-6 times each .......hopefully before this time arrives some enterprising ink reseller will be giving us what Canon cannot.......affordable ink in carts that we can re-fill.............

Refilling one set 5 times will cost me £12.00 GBP......buying 5 Canon sets wiould cost me £250.00 GBP.......I could buy 2 more printers for that amount, (and will.... if their print head durability does not continue give cause for concern........otherwise over to Epson !
Old Mar 30, 2006, 1:51 AM   #18

Or if I am really mad and bored..........

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/docs/cano...cartridges.php
Old Mar 30, 2006, 5:15 AM   #19

headphonesman wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes I do.........5-6 times each .......hopefully before this time arrives some enterprising ink reseller will be giving us what Canon cannot.......affordable ink in carts that we can re-fill.............
Hold up a second... Where did this nugget of information come from?

I was under the impression that the cartridges were much the same quality as the original BCI-3 and BCI-6 cartridges (with the obvious addition of the chip)..

Is there some limiting factor here that I'm not aware of?

EDIT: Ah... I think I see where you're coming from now after the nifty-stuff link... Am I right in assuming you're pointing out that the carts can become clogged and algae ridden after around 5 refills and that the only way to continue to use them is to complete a flush routine (as per the link) ?
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 7:13 AM   #20

Correct Websnail !..........I was just illustrating the principle that Canon cart life refill (whether BCI 6 or CLI 8 )could be extended with "colonnic irrigation "........

But on reflection ....with all that water flying around one should be careful of the chip

(wouldnt want to damage it would we ?)........but I dont think I will be forced to employ this method......yet.