Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 3, 2006, 6:35 AM   #31

To prime, easy, get a syringe, put a short length of tube on it, on the end insert a grommet, same as goes in the cartridge where the elbow is inserted, then push the elbow fitted to the tubeinto the grommet, should get an airtight fit. Then suck the ink up to the elbow, hold the ink there to see if it maintains its level, if it falls back there is an airleak where the tube fits onto the elbow. Once level is maintained, quickly pull elbow of the syringw and insert into cartridge - finish of priming
Attached Images

laikanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 1:55 PM   #32

I guess I don't understand why people are so worried about the whole chip/ink level thing. Just pay attention to your tanks, know roughly how many pages you can get, and install a CIS system. I paid $105 US for each of my 5 printers, and that came with a 2 year extended warranty from the store. They'll all be dead in under 8 months, and I'll hang onto them till after the 1 year canon warranty, go back to the store, and get 5 new printers and keep them around waiting for my next batch to die. It's a cycle, and if you play the game well, you'll win.

The average home user is going to freak out about the whole chip thing, and not want to do anything to mess with their printer. It's all smoke and mirrors. The printers work just fine without the ink level meter. Disregard the chip all together, and keep refilling your tanks.

Before I had CIS I would refill each of my tanks 2-3 times a day. No problems. When I had the i560's and then the pixma's after that, I used the same set of 4 tanks for just under 2 years... refilling them multiple times a day. You can refill these tanks a seemingly infinite number of times without any problems. Just don't let the cotton run dry and you'll be fine.

I converted 1 of my IP3000's over to be a CD printer and bought a CD tray on Ebay for $30. I'm going to buy new print heads for a few more of my ip3000's and convert them all into CD printers too.

This ain't rocket science...

Bmanetd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 2:16 PM   #33

Bmanetd wrote:
Quote:
I guess I don't understand why people are so worried about the whole chip/ink level thing. Just pay attention to your tanks, know roughly how many pages you can get, and install a CIS system.
Well, you're something of an extreme case to be fair and with the level of printing you're doing it makes perfect sense to go with a CIS.. but as far as I'm aware nobody has actually produced a kit for the iP4200 yet anyway. So unless you're a born natural you need to be very clued up on CIS design and building before you go anywhere with it.

Quote:
I paid $105 US for each of my 5 printers, and that came with a 2 year extended warranty from the store. They'll all be dead in under 8 months, and I'll hang onto them till after the 1 year canon warranty, go back to the store, and get 5 new printers and keep them around waiting for my next batch to die. It's a cycle, and if you play the game well, you'll win.
Well I can't knock that approach I guess..

Quote:
The average home user is going to freak out about the whole chip thing, and not want to do anything to mess with their printer. It's all smoke and mirrors. The printers work just fine without the ink level meter. Disregard the chip all together, and keep refilling your tanks.
Well, given that printers can and do go wrong it's not something the average Joe or Jill is going to want to ignore... After all I just had to send my own iP4200 off to be warranty repaired because of a page feed error. That, thankfully was before I mod'd it to use a CIS and potentially void it... but I wouldn't want to spend £15 sending the thing back to discover they wanted to charge me to fix it..

Quote:
Before I had CIS I would refill each of my tanks 2-3 times a day. No problems. When I had the i560's and then the pixma's after that, I used the same set of 4 tanks for just under 2 years... refilling them multiple times a day. You can refill these tanks a seemingly infinite number of times without any problems. Just don't let the cotton run dry and you'll be fine. I converted 1 of my IP3000's over to be a CD printer and bought a CD tray on Ebay for $30. I'm going to buy new print heads for a few more of my ip3000's and convert them all into CD printers too. This ain't rocket science...
Again, with the greatest of respect you're not exactly a "normal" user and even amongst the enthusiasts you're in the more experienced end of things so I'd not look down on others with less..
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 3:24 PM   #34

I apologize if you think I'm looking down, I'm really not. I used to be scared to death of my printers, I wouldn't do anything to them, just use them, change the tanks, play their game, and pay out the nose for ink. Slowly, I opened up, and began experimenting with my printers. I've never trashed a printer by modifying it with refilling ink. It really is doable for regular print users. There are some great guides out there for refilling canon cartridges. Some say you can only refill a cartridge a few times, but my experience tells me otherwise. I'm flat out abusive with these printers. I once pumped 18,000 pages through an ip3000 printer in 1 week. It did pretty well with it!

I never had or used a CIS system till last week. I am completely new with it, and with the help of laikanuki I figured it out and built 3 of them. All are working flawlessly.

The void warranty message stipulates that canon is not liable to damage cause by using replacement inks. A page feed error has nothing to do with ink or the print head, it's a mechanical problem, and using a CIS or refilled inks wouldn't mess with that. (That's just my opinion though.)

Sorry if you thought I was being offensive, I never meant to be.
Bmanetd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 9:46 AM   #35

laikanuki wrote:
Quote:
I started CISinstallation with cartridges that had already been installed in printer but had done little printing ( better to start with new unused cartridges as I had to seal up the air canals where the tag had been removed.) The ink feeds into spongecompartment so ink compartment always stays at same level, when the chips indicated low ink and then ink out, followed screen prompts which disabled all chips eventually. Then just kept printing, since chips are disabled, no need to do any resets like Epson R210/R230 CIS systems. Canon IP4200 is faster than Epson R210/R230, especially on text printing, plus Canon can be run on economy mode for text printing which makes it even faster with little loss in print density, Epson on economy mode is fast, but print is dull and gray. However, it is easy to divert purge tank on Epson out of printer, Canon is much more difficult - it is very surprising howquickly the purge tank on Epson needs a reset, I think the manufacturers are reducing the limiton the purge tank counter, I am sure the Canon will aslo quickly do the same. Overall, on average I think the Epson printheads will outlast the Canon printheads, I come across Canon printheads failures more often than Epson, both my Epson R210's have done heaps of work, at least 20000 pages of at least 40% coverage and the print quality is still great. I use BCI-3eBK/BCI-6 colour inks from iP4000in iP4200 CIS, I cannot see much difference between then and the new Canon inks, maybe the magenta is slightly different but nothing to cause me any concern
Would this cis system be compatible with a canon MP800 and how could i buy one from you??
Quote:
I sell the CIS systems in Australia, I will post a pix of the Canon iP4200 CIS system tomorrow
black48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 5:07 AM   #36

A new 4200 is $79.99 from Amazon (free shipping). I guess that this will be the price for backup cartridges (and a backup printer) until somebody figures out how to get by the chips.

Is the low price an indication that Canon printers are not selling?

Regarding CIS, I don't think I do enough printing to justify the cost.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:05 AM   #37

I think the low price is produced by Canon wanting to suck you into buying chipped cartridges, the cli eights, since there are no third party ones. I've been looking to buy a used canon printer that will take low cost ,refillable, 3 or 6 cartridges and there aren't many (or any) around.

SLK
cshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:20 AM   #38

Correct - the cartridges are the hang-up. Good quality refill ink for the Cli-8 and 5 is available from Hobbicolors on ebay and also from WeInk.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 8:31 AM   #39

FAO: Bmanetd
No worries... text only communication is notoriously open to misinterpretation so thanks for clearing that up..

FAO: black48
I would recommend you don't consider a CIS for an MP800 or any of the other MP models unless you're feeling particularly brave. I played with the earlier MP750 model and an iP4000 kit (the iP4000 is the printer unit used in the MP750) and experience no end of problems getting the unit to work properly.

The main issues relate to the way the tubing has to run and the lack of space between the top unit (scanner, etc.) and the actual printer plus problems with identifying and installing a tube clip to hold the tubing so it'll run freely without jamming the head unit as it runs back and forth.

I do intend to retry with a home grown unit so if you're interested I'd check in on www.continuousink.info in a few weeks time.

Re: CIS inks... There's also a supply for the iP4200 and other models from www.refillink.biz... The only problem is that he only sells in bulk so you need to make a bit of an investment on that score.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 9:42 AM   #40

Noticed today Makro Leeds UK. selling IP4200's for £69 GBP.(plus VAT) but also on display IP 4000 for £99 GBP(plus VAT) that I suppose tells they are not selling the IP4200's verywell
Barn Owl is offline   Reply With Quote