Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 18, 2006, 4:56 PM   #51

headphonesman wrote:
Quote:
Actually your test procedure raises an interesting point. It was my understanding that after forced use of "empty chip" carts it would never again tell you when you are getting low or empty.........but here it did,,,but perhaps that was before the warranty withdrawal notice.....I dont suppose the ink inside completes an electrical circuit with the chip .....?........(what little of it is left operating.....)

On a positive note I bought a 4200 Monday from Marks and Sparks , it was on special further 20% off for 6 days...it was last day but one......£55.20......well ....I thought the carts might come in handy.....
To be honest the information that's been out there has been confusing and in some cases 5th hand with the requisite chinese whispers effect resulting in contradictions all over the shop.

As to the prism vs' electrical interference question I'd have to make an educated guess that they're using the prism in a limited fashion. After all, they've done the work on it already, have the software, hardware and design already done so why not reuse it to catch out the refillers... I suspect electrical conductivity would be too complex to achieve or manufacture properly without requiring some major engineering changes... and if you're an engineer the usual question is "if it ain't broke... "

Know what you mean about the deals at the moment.. They are almost giving them away and MP780's are now going at "bargain" prices to get the last of the stock out the door.

Quote:
Just realised the ink has to be "noticed " in the empty cart so it is justified in telling you " you are cheating".....must do it just the once.....but optical or electrical its no help.
Amen to that...
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:17 PM   #52

I don't think that the prism has any function since i just tested if it would be any chance in status or any noticeble difference if i'd put duck-tape around it, over it and every where. I made sure that no light at all could have reached the prism!
But the printer still gives me the same status.
Than i put in a brand new catridge, covered this one also totally in duck-tape and inserted it....it was displayed as 'full' as it is supposed to do. Next i put in an empty cardridge and covered also this 3rd catridge in tape...but it just showed empty.
Last i put in my first catridge and still it showed, as it did initially, approx 30% full!

So i am pretty convinced the status is not being read by the prism or a sensor of somesort underneath the prism.

sjolmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 2:34 PM   #53

sjolmers wrote:
Quote:
I don't think that the prism has any function since i just tested if it would be any chance in status or any noticeble difference if i'd put duck-tape around it, over it and every where. I made sure that no light at all could have reached the prism!
But the printer still gives me the same status.
Than i put in a brand new catridge, covered this one also totally in duck-tape and inserted it....it was displayed as 'full' as it is supposed to do. Next i put in an empty cardridge and covered also this 3rd catridge in tape...but it just showed empty.
Last i put in my first catridge and still it showed, as it did initially, approx 30% full!

So i am pretty convinced the status is not being read by the prism or a sensor of somesort underneath the prism.
Try using a catridge that is saying it's empty... remove it from the printer, put duct tape over the prism part, add some new ink in and see what error you get.

I'll bet you right now that it keeps saying it's completely empty and will refuse to print.

If that's true, when you then remove the duct tape it will "see" there's ink and allow you to print ONLY after you've gone through the 3 warnings about refilled ink means you are on your own routine.

I really don't see why, otherwise they'd leave a prism in a catridge when they've pretty much redesigned the rest of it anyway... it's not like CIS kits where you just work with what you've got... :?
Old Apr 21, 2006, 5:56 AM   #54

I'll put it true the test and let you know the outcome.
sjolmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 6:50 AM   #55

sjolmers wrote:
Quote:
I'll put it true the test and let you know the outcome.
Thanks... should be interesting..
Old Apr 22, 2006, 3:49 PM   #56

Even the new Canon printers with chips are still much cheaper to operate than HP or Lexmark printers.
salohcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 12:57 PM   #57

I found a couple of inksupply places that say they will be getting cartridges for the 4200, 5200, etc; sometime this summer. 4inkjets was one that says this
sasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 3:22 AM   #58

I was wondering why the discontinued Canon printers were selling at such a premium -- especially when they were selling the ip3000 for about $50 just before the supply ran out!

I get my ink for oddparts.com at a very reasonable price. Here is what they have to say about the Canon ip4200:

We sell refill inks, genuine Canon cartridges, and accessories for this printer. In general, our customers have found this printer easy to refill, and particularly good for printing color photographs in moderate volume (2000-3000 pages per month).
CL-8 cartridges have a chip. When first refilling, a warning window comes on the computer, but you may then proceed to use a refilled cartridge. The ink level display is then disabled. These cartridges otherwise refill like BCI-3e and BCI-6 cartridges.
hsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 6:31 AM   #59

Hi UK. Folks heres a cheap source I found for CLI-? "valueshop.co.uk" found to be o/k and delivered quickly
Barn Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 12:02 PM   #60

Barn Owl, £32 a set!!! you need to start refilling :-)

Have a lookat theHobbicolors Inks, just ordered a couple of sets to try, asked for the IP4000 refill kit but with the UW colour gamut inks,asused forthe CLI-8, for my IP4000, very good reports from others using these in both chipped and unchipped printers. Works out about 40p per cartridge to refill, after that just buy the ink and it works out even cheaper

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZkbay2002
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote