Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 16, 2006, 5:35 PM   #1
WFK

IAM THINKING ABOUT BUYING AN IP4200 AND I WANT TO USE REFILL INK. IN READING ABOUT THIS, SOME SAY THE CHIP WILL NOT LET YOU PRINT IF YOU REFILL A CARTRIDGE. SUPPLIERS OF REFILL INK SAY YOU CAN BUT YOU MUST HOLD THE ORANGE BLINKING LIGHT BUTTON IN FOR 5 SECONDS TO RESET THE PRINTER.

ANYONE KNOW WHO IS CORRECT?

THANKS
WFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2006, 8:07 AM   #2

TO WFK,

I don't own a chipped Canon but that sure is not my understanding from what
I have read. My understading is that among other things, the chip counts nozzle
fires---and once that count gets to a certain point, the chip signals the printer that
the cartridge is empty. Regardless if you refilled the cartridge or not.

But the chip then pops up a screen warning you the cartridge is empty. But there is still
an option for the user to over-ride that warning--at which point another nag screen
pops up warning of dire damage and warranty voiding that can be in turn over ridden.
You can then continue to use that refilled cartridge but you lose ink monitoring. And you must repeat that process with each cartridge in your printer.---but you must have a chipped cartridge as the cartridge you refill/

There are threads on this forum describing the proces in more detail. But maybe this is another option I have not heard of-----so I could be wrong and invite owners of chipped canons to confirm or deny.

I also note there are a few non-chipped Canon that can be bought---mostly on ebay.
Although Fry's electronic has the MP780 on sale this week for $150. after rebates.
And the MP780 is based on the ip4000 printer engine and is non-chipped. Plus adds print, copy, scan, and fax to the mix.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 10:00 AM   #3

The PDF download (translated from the german), appears to mention the 5 second thing..........

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...426509#p426509

acknowledgements to Knightcrawler
headphonesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:06 AM   #4

I have set up iP4200 with continuous flow system - easy to do. The best part about it is when the low ink warning came up, and I followed the procedure to disable the chips on the cartridges, afterwardsthere were nofurther interuptions to the printing. No chips to reset, no cartridges to refill, as long as the ink was feeding to the printer - it kept on printing.- even better than thecontinuous flow setups on the Epson printers. The only thing I have to do is keep the paper supply up. So in fact, the chips on the Canon cartridges are no problem once they are disabled if you use a continuous flow system. Too easy - thank you Canon. There is no reason why the same contiuous flow setup cannot be used on all the new Canon printers with the chipped cartridges.
laikanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 5:12 AM   #5

laikanuki wrote:
Quote:
I have set up iP4200 with continuous flow system - easy to do. The best part about it is when the low ink warning came up, and I followed the procedure to disable the chips on the cartridges, afterwardsthere were nofurther interuptions to the printing. No chips to reset, no cartridges to refill, as long as the ink was feeding to the printer - it kept on printing.- even better than thecontinuous flow setups on the Epson printers. The only thing I have to do is keep the paper supply up. So in fact, the chips on the Canon cartridges are no problem once they are disabled if you use a continuous flow system. Too easy - thank you Canon. There is no reason why the same contiuous flow setup cannot be used on all the new Canon printers with the chipped cartridges.
Just to confirm... With your iP4200 did you get the warning because the ink had run down at all or at a point close to the normal "empty" for an non-CIS adapted cartridge?

I ask because I'm trying to work out how best to impliment at CIS on my own kit, ie: with full or empty carts...

Thanks in advance..
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:27 PM   #6
WFK

Where is a good place to buy Canon Pixma iP ink and supplies/kit for continuous flow?

What are the pros & cons to continuous flow?

I just purchased a iP4200 and am considering this setup.

Thanks
WFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 4:14 AM   #7

I started CISinstallation with cartridges that had already been installed in printer but had done little printing ( better to start with new unused cartridges as I had to seal up the air canals where the tag had been removed.) The ink feeds into spongecompartment so ink compartment always stays at same level, when the chips indicated low ink and then ink out, followed screen prompts which disabled all chips eventually. Then just kept printing, since chips are disabled, no need to do any resets like Epson R210/R230 CIS systems. Canon IP4200 is faster than Epson R210/R230, especially on text printing, plus Canon can be run on economy mode for text printing which makes it even faster with little loss in print density, Epson on economy mode is fast, but print is dull and gray. However, it is easy to divert purge tank on Epson out of printer, Canon is much more difficult - it is very surprising howquickly the purge tank on Epson needs a reset, I think the manufacturers are reducing the limiton the purge tank counter, I am sure the Canon will aslo quickly do the same. Overall, on average I think the Epson printheads will outlast the Canon printheads, I come across Canon printheads failures more often than Epson, both my Epson R210's have done heaps of work, at least 20000 pages of at least 40% coverage and the print quality is still great. I use BCI-3eBK/BCI-6 colour inks from iP4000in iP4200 CIS, I cannot see much difference between then and the new Canon inks, maybe the magenta is slightly different but nothing to cause me any concern

I sell the CIS systems in Australia, I will post a pix of the Canon iP4200 CIS system tomorrow
Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:03 PM   #8

So then, this CIS system would work well on a iP5200?* I have 2 epson R200's and am tired of the inevitable ink mess that gets on the rollers and then the DVD's.* I am not sure why it happens.* I can do 100's of DVD's no trouble and then 5 or 10 I have to throw out.* So you have a CIS that you hook to original carts?* How can I get this in the USA?* Please email me gwoiler AT hotmail.comglenn
gwoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 7:18 PM   #9

laikanuki wrote:
Quote:
I sell the CIS systems in Australia, I will post a pix of the Canon iP4200 CIS system tomorrow
I'm trying to build up an accurate picture of how to install CIS systems on all of the new Canon printers so if you could visit http://www.continuousink.info and share your pictures and any tips re: the iP4200 there as well, I'd really appreciate it..

I'm currently in the process of putting together my own CIS for the iP4200 so it'd be a big help...
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 9:12 PM   #10

Image of iP4200 continuous flow setup. The lid has to be removed and a wedge inserted to close the microswitch which allows the printheads to move to the centre
Attached Images