Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 21, 2006, 7:42 AM   #1

I wonder if anyone can help me.

I bought a Canon IP6000 printer 9 months ago. I have always used reliable third party ink for refilling my cartridges. My Photo Cyan is now coming out far too strong and is causing a very blue cast over my photos. Ithink it is this cartridge because when I put the setting to normal print quality the colours are fine and I am assuming that is because it is not using the Photo Cyan cartridge.

I bought a cleaning kit as well and when I put in a blank cartridge in place of the PCyan one the quality becomes much better because it is using the clear Cleaning fluid instead of the photo Cyan ink. I filled up a new empty cartridge with the PCyan after this and the problem with the blue cast comes back. I have tried all the usual maintenance options from the Canon software, "Cleaning", deep head" cleaning etc but no joy.

Can anyone suggest where I go from here?

Many thanks,

John
John Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2006, 9:44 AM   #2

To John Cox,

First, in normal quality mode, both the photo cyan and photo magenta are not used.
So, if you are not having problems in normal mode, you have narrowed the problem to those two cartridges. But you could be barking up the wrong tree even then, your blue cast could be due to a poorly feeding photo magenta cartridge. Not enough red = blue cast.

If this problem is fairly new and you were having no problem with the same ink before,
you have eliminated the ink as the problem unless the ink has gotten old and has chemically changed. Also missing in your post was anything regarding nozzle checks
which should tell you if you have problem with either your prinhead or in the way a cartridge is feeding.

But my guess is the next step is to examine how your photo magenta cartridge is feeding through the printhead. You may also want to give the nifty stuff forums a try since they cover printhead cleaning in depth.

Its still a guess an my take on the matter given information at hand. But I hope that helps.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 9:47 AM   #3

Have you considered the possibility your photo cyan is mislabeled? Grab a white plastic bottle and a couple of Q-Tips. Paint a strip of both on the white plastic. There should be a dramatic difference on white plastic. There is also a difference on paper but it is more subtle.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 10:19 AM   #4

Hi Osage and Slipe,

Thanks for your speedy replies.
Believe it or not i have not done a nozzle check from the maintenance software. I will do this this evening when I get home.

A good idea about it maybe being the Photo Magenta. I will concentrate on these two and see how I get on. Part of my cleaning kit inncludes a syringe with a flexible plastic nozzle attachment for injecting the cleaning fluid direct into the print head. I had a problem with black earlier this year and that solved the problem. So if the nozzle check does not work I will try this.

Slipe, I have checked the labeling of the bottle and the cartridge and Irefilled them recently and they were ok, so I dont think that is the problem but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

One last thing i saw on the nifty things forum was to reinstall the software so I will check that out too.

I am going home from work now, it is 4.15pm here in Ireland. I will check back with you tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

Once again thanks for your advice.

Regards,

John
Old Mar 22, 2006, 7:33 AM   #5

OK,

The news is not good,

You were right about it being the Photo Magenta cartridge rather than the PhotoCyan. I ran a nozzle check and there was no printout line for this cartridge (PM).

I uninstalled the Canon software and reinstalled it but no change.

I put a cleaning cartridge in that slot and put back in th PM cartridge and no change.

I did a head cleaning three times and a deep clean and still no change.

Has anyone anymore ideas or am I looking at a new print head or printer?

Regards,

John
Old Mar 22, 2006, 8:35 AM   #6

To John Cox,

So the problem is narrowed down----its either a photo magenta cartridge that is
not feeding at all, a clogged printhead, or worst case senario a printhead with damaged electronics on photo magenta nozzles.--but please understand the ink cools the actice electronic components and having no cooling ink can cause damage.

Step one is to check and possibly replace the photo magenta cartridge.-----but remove the photomagenta cartridge from printer---over a sink or newspaper---give a gentle squeze on cartridge sides---some ink should drip from ink outlet hole and the dripping should stop fairly rapidly. -----if you get no ink suspect the cartridge.-----or alternately put any known good cartridge in the photo magenta slot--run one nozzle check--and if you suddenly get ink through you have again nailed the problem.--also realise that a cartridge can be only refilled so many times before they develop feeding problems. -----also, quit running cleaning cycles until the problem is found---if it don't work fast more is not better.--and too many cleaning cycles make the problem worse.

But if the cartridge is good, next go to the nifty stuff forums and read up on printhead cleaning. Some clogs can take prolonged soaking and days to remove and requires you remove the printhead from the printer. Windex is often a good solvent. ------but also check with Canon---your printer should still be under warranty and many users in similar boats have had printheads replaced free of charge. So do extensive cleaning under Canon tech support supervision.

But if your printhead electronic are damaged there is no hope other than replacing the printhead--although in rare instances ink clogs over the electronic can short things out and cleaning those deposits away can restore the printhead. But if you have to replace the printhead at your expense---some creative shopping may be required and you may find a printhead costs more than a new printer.

Just my take on the matter---others may have different suggestions.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 9:22 AM   #7

Hi Osage,

Some more good advice and I will try them all. The cartridge has only been refilled once so it should be ok. But I will refill a blank cartridge that I have just in case.

I have gone on the nifty forum and have come up with a link they had. I print it here.Maybe you can tell me if you think the suggestions are good.

Kind regards,

John

The MIRACLE AIR CLEANING CURE

[align=center]for CLOGGED PRINT HEADS.[/align]
This is how I do it on my Canon. You might be able to pull this off on an Epson. You can't on an HP.

If you've put in a new cartridge and cleaned the nozzles several times, and the nozzle check STILL shows a clogged nozzle- I have found that after THOUSANDS (okay, maybe HUNDREDS) of prints, it may be necessary to spray compressed air through the WHITE flow-through delivery sponge. This is the little circular inlet that sits directly under the bottom ink cartridge hole in the print head. I.e.: Take out the ink cartridges and remove the print head.

[align=center][/align]
You'll see 6 1/4" holes into which the ink is delivered from the cartridge. Get a can of compressed air and spray from the cartridge side a few short bursts. HOLD A KLEENEX or toilet paper on the outside of the print head where the copper nozzles are- otherwise, you will get ink all over everything as the air cleans out the sponge inlets. Wipe off the outside copper nozzles, because ink will have poured out. No need to use any solvent, just a dry lint free paper. I've used 100% denatured alcohol at times- I don't suggest any other solvent for printer cleaning. Clorox, however, is the only thing that will remove totally inkjet ink stains from plastic housing, counter tops, your fingers- but don't use on important printer parts.

Put your cartridges back in, run a clean cycle to get the ink running again, realign the nozzles, and VOILA- your printer will magically work again.

After two years of printing THOUSANDS of prints with my Canon printers, I have never ever ever replaced a printer head, or had to soak the cartridges or the print head as described below. Air does wonders.
But I pass on the info below just as a matter of options....

ANOTHER SOLUTION FOR STUBBORN CARTS AND CLOGGED PRINTER HEAD

Okay- I do not personally recommend using any solution to clean your Canon nozzle head-- if you have paid attention to all the info on this page, it just should be necessary. However, once in a while if you leave your printer sitting for a long time, a cart may dry out, and will no longer work. One visitor sent me this email and swears by it-- so, if you want to give it a shot if it ever comes up- it's possibly an option. Save it till last however in my opinion:

Subject: Canon cartridges

I have found that I can revive a "dead" Canon cartridge by capping the output orifice with the orange cap and placing the cartridge in a glass of very hot water (just under boiling) for about 20 minutes. When the cartridge cools off, the ink seems to re-enter the sponge material.

Also, I have found that I have been able to clear a clogged print head on S-900 and I-9900 printers by soaking the printhead in very hot water coming out of my kitchen sink for about 20 minutes until all of the water coming out of the print head is clean
Old Mar 22, 2006, 2:16 PM   #8

To John Cox,

Yes, I see you did make it over to the nifty stuff forums and posted that same question. But what you have is only sub set of all the threads on print head cleaning. But that Neil Slade advice can be relied on as he is highly respected.

But for what its worth, you are in a trouble-shooting mode and want to have as many possible causes as possible on the table---and you should approach things systematically---changing just one variable at a time.
So you start by confirming the cartridge is feeding---next step is to make sure the ink is getting through the sponge part of the printhead--right below the photo-magenta cartridge ink outlet hole---per Neil Slades advice.
As that spot is another common place a clog forms. You can buy compressed air cans at most computer stores.
But beyond that I urge you take things slowly and only after you have read many posts on printhead cleaning.
And since the printhead may still be under warranty contacting Canon is advisable. Beyond that, I would recommend you take the advice of those more expert that me on printhead cleaning as it can be somewhat tricky and time consuming.--some of the posts have pictures. My only other comment is to learn what parts you can touch and what parts of the printhead you should be careful with touching. I have been lucky enough so far as to not having to actually have to unclog my printheads---but knew the nifty stuff forums had many posts on printhead cleaning.--so I referred you there.----another highly regarded poster is grandad35 who has numerous posts on printhead cleaning.

But if you get no joy after confirming the cartridge is feeding, the photo magenta sponge on the printhead is open, then your troubleshooting has to go down the chain into the internal parts of the printhead, and finally
to the photo magenta noozles. And there time and partience is advised--and possibly an overnight soak.--and then you can confirm the entire chain is open.

But I will somewhat bow out now and place you in the hands of those more experienced.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 6:21 AM   #9

HI Osage,

Thanks for taking the time to give me a full detailed reply as to your advice.

It is logical and the way to go. I will follow your advice and let you know how I get on in due course.

One question though.

Would using non Canon cartridges invalidate my guarentee if I have to get them to replace the print heads? The printer is only 9 months old.

John
Old Mar 23, 2006, 7:51 AM   #10

Hi again John Cox,

In terms of Canon USA, there is a US law called the Magnusson law which specifically
prohibits any ink jet printer manufacter from voiding the warranty because of the use
of non-oem ink. Of course that would not apply to Ireland--so it depends on your laws
and customs there. ---and maybe some one can weigh in with specific knowledge of local conditions.

But I also point out, how will Canon know you are using non-OEM ink if you don't tell them?---all they need know is that you have a clogged or defective printhead--that a nozzle check shows nothing for photo Magenta--and that your printer is still under warranty. And if you follow their direction and opt for telephone support---you are better off than just trying this that and the other thing at random.--and Canon Ireland or whoever your local Canon is may direct you troubleshoot their way.--and if you follow their directions---and get no joy---they will often just mail you a new printhead.

But first you must establish its not a photo magenta cartridge that is not delivering ink. It may not hurt to try a OEM canon PM cartridge---and another thing--have you confirmed the air vent above the sponge is open and clear?---as any bockage there will prevent ink from feeding also.