Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 5, 2003, 4:19 PM   #1

Default photo paper brands

does it matter if you don't use the same brand paper as the printer. i have been hearing that you should use the same brand. is semi gloss and glossy that much different as far as picture quality, detail. thanks any help appreciated
cmplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2003, 8:09 PM   #2

The manufacturers design their paper around their ink for their printers.

So Hp paper works best with HP Printers, Epson with Epson etc.

Now a universal type of paper? Not sure, I've used Epson paper with my HP printer and it seemed fine. Though then there could be the archival time/fading over time kinda thing with a mix like that.

There is Kodak, Canon, Hp, Epson (those are the ones we sell), and a thousand more types of paper out there.

Now semi-gloss and glossy, I see that as mainly a personal preference. Do you like the dullness of the Matte finish? or perhaps the shinyness of the Glossy? People I deal with either love glossy or matte, or something inbetween. Semi-Gloss, Soft-gloss, Satin, lots of types of finishes.

Some places do offer samplers for various paper brands. Where I work we have a HP examples and Kodak examples of the various finishes.

But yes photopaper does produce MUCH nicer photos than just your ordinary copier paper :P

Hope this helps a bit...
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2003, 8:13 PM   #3

Don't forget about the epson premium luster paper. This paper works exceptionally well on any printer.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 1:30 AM   #4

Yes, it matters which paper you use, but some times only minimally, other times, it's a big factor...most photo papers are priced comparatively now, so you won't save all that much by buying a cheaper paper..HP printers work best on HP paper and not bad on Kodak, but the Epson paper sucks...with Canon printers, I have found that Epson paper sucks, it is too 'light-weight', HP paper is very 'heavy-weight', but doesn't match up well with the Canon S820...Canon paper, on the other hand, even though I was skeptical at first, does provide a 'superior' print, with a Canon Photprinter...so, the answer is an intuitive one..do your photo's mean a lot to you and does it matter if you spend a few more cents to get an ''excellent' print?' Or are you living in a 'third world country' and need to save every 'drachkma' (is that how you spell it?)..Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 2:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoangels
Yes, it matters which paper you use, but some times only minimally, other times, it's a big factor...most photo papers are priced comparatively now, so you won't save all that much by buying a cheaper paper..HP printers work best on HP paper and not bad on Kodak, but the Epson paper sucks...with Canon printers, I have found that Epson paper sucks, it is too 'light-weight', HP paper is very 'heavy-weight', but doesn't match up well with the Canon S820...Canon paper, on the other hand, even though I was skeptical at first, does provide a 'superior' print, with a Canon Photprinter...so, the answer is an intuitive one..do your photo's mean a lot to you and does it matter if you spend a few more cents to get an ''excellent' print?' Or are you living in a 'third world country' and need to save every 'drachkma' (is that how you spell it?)..Johnny

Which epson papers have you tried?? Consider setting yourself up with the epson premium Glossy paper on the cannon Pro paper settings. Side by side Pro paper to premium glossy thier is no difference in thickness or print quality. If you want I can scan up a set of prints made on a cannon to show you the same print settings and the same picture printed on cannon photo pro and epson premium glossy.

The paper I realy reccomend not getting is the epson photo glossy paper. That tends to make prints come out to the blue direction the cannon printers.

Cannon does have a better high resolution paper though.

Also HP has release some papers lately that I have tested to work very well on both the epson and the cannon. I have to remember which paper it is before I can fully reccomend buying it but its every bit equal to the cannon pro and the epson premium glossy papers.

Also the best place to get the papers is www.buy.com

The epson paper I don't like is the photo glossy paper.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote