Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 26, 2006, 4:30 PM   #1

I am at the moment looking for a printer, I do not have any at the moment so do not know what to really go for.

Research so far At first I had a look at the Canon IP8500 which is about £200 then I started to look at the Canon IP6600D which looks like a better spec printer this printer is proiced at £150 £50 Cheaper?!?!?!

Can somebody please explain why the better spec (if it is a better spec) is cheaper? Is the Canon IP6600D worth purchasing?

Thanks in advance.
mandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2006, 8:12 PM   #2

mandeep wrote:
Quote:
I am at the moment looking for a printer, I do not have any at the moment so do not know what to really go for.

Research so far At first I had a look at the Canon IP8500 which is about £200 then I started to look at the Canon IP6600D which looks like a better spec printer this printer is proiced at £150 £50 Cheaper?!?!?!

Can somebody please explain why the better spec (if it is a better spec) is cheaper? Is the Canon IP6600D worth purchasing?

Thanks in advance.

Code:
The iP5200 is another of Canon's 5-color printers that leaves me wondering why I own  and use the 8-color i9900.  When I see just how good the photo prints look when using  only the three primary colors (cyan, magenta and yellow), I don't know why I need  those other ink colors, or the added expense.  With the 1-picoliter size ink droplets  the prints are virtually grainless.  I can only visually see imperfections after  scanning a print at 600dpi and then zooming in really close.  Holding a 4×6"  print in my hand and getting it as close as possible, I can see nothing to  complain about at all.  For the average to the hypercritical user I am sure that  this printer will satisfy your photo printing as well as your everyday printing  needs.  The color is simply brilliant, the prints last and you'll certainly not  be waiting for this printer to do its job.
--Steve's review

I don't know exactly why the ip8500 costs more. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that it shares a head with the i9900, their a3 model. Also the ip8500 was the super duper consumer flagship printer. This and the simple fact that there doesn't seem to be the ip8500 listed at all on the website, there has been NO replacement anounced, and there is a replacement for the i9900 on the way. So unlike the i6600 the heads are not likely in full production, unless it's the same head on the PixmaPro9000. The most likely reason is refinement in the cost to mass produce has gone down, that and no special deals are being offered on the ip8500.

Keep in mind that the USA site and the Japan site don't list the ip8500 anymore, and no direct replacement has been announced. I can't find it in stores anymore, so I suspect it's the end of the line for that model, unless you want to shell out the bucks for the pro9000, an a3 model not even in stores yet.

But making the final choice should be done by going into your friendly neighborhood shop with images on your digial camera, a pack of the reccomended or your favorite photo paper, and cranking off the same image on each paper. Most shops will agree so long as you leave the prints there.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote