Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 6, 2003, 9:44 PM   #1

Default Just got my new i950..

and I have only one word: OHMYGEWD!

I have printed a couple of 8.5x11 on PPP paper and the is no comparison to Kodak lap prints I had ordered a while ago.. It is so much better. Now if someone could figure out how to make these prints last for years...

I love this printer!
lordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2003, 11:26 PM   #2

I know how to make them last. PUt them in a photo book and leave that photo book in a dark closet. That way years from now when your kids have kids of thier own you can dig out the photo book in the closet and show them to your grandchildren.

But of course by that time we will have 30 megapixel cameras and IBM will be releasing the terabyte verion of thier microdrive that has a data transfer rate of 300mb per second and is no bigger than the thumbnail on your pinky.

Also by that time Epson or someone will have perfected the pigment ink and paper mixes to produce prints that will last 100 years In direct sunlight.

Or perhaps by that time we will have holo projecting frames with resolutions of 10,000 dpi and a power consumption of .0001 watts that we can simply take pictures and they are wirelessly connected to Home computer anywhere in the world so they can download and view any picture they have ever taken wherever they go.

Also when they go to a hotel to make it feel like home the picture frames on the wall are electronic and allow you to choose the colors of your rooms as well as the pictures in the frames.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 1:06 AM   #3

If you use Canon paper and inks, they are purported to last 25 years...but, why worry? Save your images to a cd-r and let the next generation worry about re-printing them...blessings, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 3:16 AM   #4

Please see my other post. Cannon rates thier glossy pro paper to last up to 15 years. Thier low end glossy paper probably won't last more than 5-7 years but thier matte paper can last up to 25 years.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 10:21 PM   #5

Gregsersonsalvage,

The following is posted on Canon's site for their S820 and newer printers photo printers regarding the Photo Paper Pro:

* Based on Canon Inc. studies conducted using Canon Photo Paper Pro, under glass, utilizing industry standard lighting conditions and controlled temperature and humidity. Results may vary based on individual environmental factors. See www.usa.canon.com/consumer/lightfast for details.

On the S800, Canon's site posts:

Wilhelm Imaging Research Inc. Evaluation
The 26-28 years of light-fastness--Accelerated fluorescent light fading test condition:
Temperature: 24C Humidity: 60%
Light source: White fluorescent light 30,000lux
Glass above the sample
Presumed conditions: Assuming one day's illumination as 450lux x 12 hours
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2003, 1:42 AM   #6

When did that paper jump up to 25 years???? Last time I checked about 2 months ago it was 15 years.

Oh well I guess I got proven wrong. Thanks for the link.

But the low end paper is still only good for probably 5-7 years.