Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 7, 2003, 10:22 PM   #1

Default Urgent: transfering Canon ink cartridges????

Hi all,

I had a Canon S800 printer up through yesterday. I luckily had purchased the CompUSA "carry-in replacement" warranty and when my S800 started making horrendous "squealing" noises I took it to Comp and they just exchanged it for a new i950!

My rather urgent question is: can I transfer the nearly full ink carts from the S800 to the i950? They let me take the carts from my S800 most of which are nearly full. I placed the bunch in a plastic bag and there they sit as I'm about to install the i950. I guess I shouldn't be so "cheap" here as I just got the i950 for the original cost of the $39 S800 insurance, but hate to just throw away 6 carts or $60 plus worth of ink. Worried about malfunction though having let them sit in the baggy for over 24 hours now.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated, but need the feedback ASAP! Thanks!!! Curt
Digeeedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2003, 10:30 PM   #2

I also have the S800. The S800, S820, S820d, S830d, S900, S9000, i950 and at this time the i9100 all use the same BCI-6Bk, BCI-6C, BCI-6M, BCI-6Y, BCI-6PC, BCI-6PM ink tanks as your dearly departed S800.

I wouldn't feel to badly about being cheap at $70 for a full set of cartridges. I cannot see that they would have dried out significantly if they are in a baggie for only 24 hours. Try them. If they work, then you have a full set of backups ready when you run out. Then all you have to do is replace the 1 cartridge as you pull from your stock.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 10:33 PM   #3

Hi dcrawley,
Thanks for the quick and helpful reply. Was just worried about clogging and/or reduced cart function on my "new baby". Guess I'll wait a few more minutes to see if others concur with you and my thoughts. Thanks for taking the time to help. Curt
Old Apr 9, 2003, 6:59 PM   #4

Curt,

So what happened when you used the opened cartridges?

Damon
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2003, 1:56 AM   #5

Hi Damon,
What happened when I used the opened cartridges in my new i950, was that I was truly shocked beyond belief at the quality of my first 3 8.5 x 11 borderless prints. I have an Oly 2100uz and at 2.1 megapixels with my S800, the resolution shortcomings were recognizably apparent on 8x10 prints. Even with the same photos printed at a larger size full 8.5x11 page, the prints are truly far more superior than I had imagined possible!
On advice of a Canon support tech, I did run a head cleaning and nozzle check to make sure the inks were flowing unencumbered. From the results, I'd say that the carts are in perfect order "better than ever"! Curt