Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 6, 2006, 8:32 PM   #1

How can I tell which black cart is being used?

Is there a setting which allows me to choose?

Thanks.

Bushmaster
bushmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:52 AM   #2

bushmaster wrote:
Quote:
How can I tell which black cart is being used?

Is there a setting which allows me to choose?

Thanks.

Bushmaster
I have the ip3000... I lack the dye black and noticed when I was saying "matte" paper that using a mix of the three primary colors caused the paper to become over saturated with ink for black areas. My only resolution was to use plain paper mode.

There is unfortunatly no way other than Plain paper (big black) or not photo paper (little black) that i'm aware of to tell the printer to use one or the other.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 8:28 PM   #3

zakezucke,

Thanks for your reply.

Old Apr 7, 2006, 9:41 PM   #4

Zakezuke is 100% correct in stating the ip3000 lacks a dye based photoblack that your printer has.
But I propose some tests you might try----if cyan, magenta, and yellow are mixed about equally
you get a black---but its a muddy black--and that is what the BCI-6 cartridge photoblack is designed
to combat--and it produces a deeper black. And in photoprinting mode, the printer wants to use the dye based BCI-6 inks rather than the pigment based BCI-3ekk intended for text.

But a pigment based ink is more water resistant----so delibertely wetting a black section of a photo and testing smearing may yield an answer of regardingt dye based or pigment based. Also, examining a black section of a photo under very high magnification may show if the black is made up of a mix of cyan, magenta, and yellow or straight black ink.--be it pigment or dye based.--a mix would show flakes of indivual colors.

I am also told that the blacks--be they pigmented or dye based--look very similar on paper---but very different when printed onto a plastic substrate.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 4:09 PM   #5

Osage, as usual, you offer great advise.

What I really care about is what settings to use to assure that the big cart is used for script and the smaller cart is used for photos.

BM
Old Apr 9, 2006, 6:42 PM   #6

bushmaster wrote:
Quote:
Osage, as usual, you offer great advise.

What I really care about is what settings to use to assure that the big cart is used for script and the smaller cart is used for photos.

BM
Plain paper - big black
not Plain paper - little black

There seems to be some tweekness as far as this goes, but generally speaking if you want the big black you must select plain paper.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 7:26 PM   #7

Thank you sir!
Old Apr 9, 2006, 8:48 PM   #8

If you think as about it--printer hardware and printer software is a printer manufacters black box
to fool the human eye into thinking the printer output is acceptable. There may be some logical tests
to determine how the printer uses various cartridges and in what situtions, but its still a black box.

And is and remains a don't ask don't tell.

With the software and the hardware making certain assumtions about reality that in most cases work.
But in limited cases these assumtions fail badly. The holy grail would be in user control of how the printer
behaves---but we are stuck with the software as written from the printer manufacter. Until someone can
decompile the driver programs--and rewrite the programs-- don't look for drivers with better user control
is my view------I am as clueless as anyone else as to why the programmer caused the black box to behave in a given way.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote