Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 15, 2006, 5:19 AM   #1

My otherwise excellent pixma ip3000 is printing the wrong colours on dvds. All cerise with bluish highlights.It could be the yellow that is missing. Email to Canon produced the reply... send it back for repair, indicating that it is a physical fault rather than software.
Is it the same heads that print onto disc that work with paper or are there an extra set of print heads for disc? Printing is perfect with the 2 paper sheet feeders. Deep cleaning has no effect.
I've updated all the drivers and also the dedicated label printing software with no luck.
I hesitate to return the printer as I'm using 3rd party ink, even though I might still have a guarantee.
At only £70 to buy, it's likely to cost me half of that in carriage charges!
Your help would be much appreciated.:roll:
tel. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2006, 3:25 PM   #2

tel. wrote:
Quote:
My otherwise excellent pixma ip3000 is printing the wrong colours on dvds. All cerise with bluish highlights.It could be the yellow that is missing. Email to Canon produced the reply... send it back for repair, indicating that it is a physical fault rather than software.
Is it the same heads that print onto disc that work with paper or are there an extra set of print heads for disc? Printing is perfect with the 2 paper sheet feeders. Deep cleaning has no effect.
I've updated all the drivers and also the dedicated label printing software with no luck.
I hesitate to return the printer as I'm using 3rd party ink, even though I might still have a guarantee.
At only £70 to buy, it's likely to cost me half of that in carriage charges!
Your help would be much appreciated.:roll:

Firstly it's not a big deal, aftermarket ink in it self doesn't void the warranty from what i've been told in the UK. I have some details regarding the procedure someone there goes through.

------
http://www.electroversal.com/ they are the Canon distributers, click
on the red box, if you can't find what you want drop them a E-mail.

If under warranty, you'll have to get a referance number from Canon
Customer Care, then you need to Email Electroversal with proof of
purchase (a photo copy of the bill - jpeg image) along with the model
& serial number including Canons referance number and they will
send you a new unit without any questions being asked.
----- Davy on comp.periphs.printers

This was in reference to a bad head, which is always the most likely suspect and may have failed not due to aftermarket ink. They are like lightbulbs, they go out. Though it's odd that your experencing problems with CDs and not regular paper, you may wish to do a nozzle check just to be sure. You may wish to also try "printable cd others" just for laughs.

As far as carriage charges are concerned, I'm not sure there are any. I only have direct experence with Canon USA, and for a printer they give you a shipping label for your old unit. I did however have to pay shipping to send them back the old head, but others simply didn't bother.

If you prefer, I can dig up some links on
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ . This place is the authority on headcleaning.

Quote:
Same head, but there are two seperate nozzles for color. There is also a series of black nozzles. I lack details as to the rhyme and reason behind all of it, but my limited understanding is higher quality uses smaller nozzles, lesser quality uses bigger nozzles. Plain paper uses the big black nozzles, photo paper on the ip3000 mixes cyan/magenta/yellow.

So while there are not two heads, you were correct in thinking there was something different at work. You may enjoy printing in "photo paper mode" and "plain paper mode" and high and low quality, though the nozzle check should print in all of these modes and show you if something is not firing.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 8:21 AM   #3

Thank you very much for your interest Zakezuke.

After much experimenting, and putting the poor old INNOCENT printer through the most rigourous testing :sad: I half came to the conclusion that the printer was not at fault at all. What else could it be, Canon's own software, "cd labelprint v1.2"?
*So I selected a jpeg, loaded up 'cd labelprint', and usind a dvd substitute ie white card discs cut to cd size, I printed off a copy. The colours were gross!
I then reconfigured 'cd labelprint' to print onto a sheet of paper through the ip3000 cut sheet feeder. Exactly the same results! Revolting colours.
Finally, Loading Nero Cover design, I printed exactly the same jpeg on a plain sheet of paper, and all colours are true to the original picture.
Exploring Nero cover design, I now discover in the paper selector, the magic words "Canon pixma ip3000 cd printer" :-) So following the proceedure in * above, I printed through the canon dvd slot, and.....perfection !!!!!!
We learn by our experiences, canon software stinx!
tel.
tel. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 10:05 PM   #4

tel. wrote:
Quote:
Thank you very much for your interest Zakezuke.

After much experimenting, and putting the poor old INNOCENT printer through the most rigourous testing :sad: I half came to the conclusion that the printer was not at fault at all. What else could it be, Canon's own software, "cd labelprint v1.2"?
*So I selected a jpeg, loaded up 'cd labelprint', and usind a dvd substitute ie white card discs cut to cd size, I printed off a copy. The colours were gross!
I then reconfigured 'cd labelprint' to print onto a sheet of paper through the ip3000 cut sheet feeder. Exactly the same results! Revolting colours.
Finally, Loading Nero Cover design, I printed exactly the same jpeg on a plain sheet of paper, and all colours are true to the original picture.
Exploring Nero cover design, I now discover in the paper selector, the magic words "Canon pixma ip3000 cd printer" :-) So following the proceedure in * above, I printed through the canon dvd slot, and.....perfection !!!!!!
We learn by our experiences, canon software stinx!
tel.
If you wish to test further, it may be easier to print off a CD tray template glued to about 2 or three pieces of breakfast serial boxes cut to size. It's easier making straight lines than circles. http://pixma.webpal.info/ for the template

But you are very much correct. CD Label Print sucks large rocks. I think it's by Rakutin software, and I think it's a total revamp of an early version of Rakutin CD Label Maker pre 2001. There is a version 2.1 in Japanese only providing Twain scanner support. I stopped using it because V1.x doesn't support anything but the western alphabet, so unicode support what so ever, and issues with memory leaks.

If you are interested I have listed on my site alternatives to CD-Labelprint
http://pixma-faq.periastron.com/8.html

I use Acoustica my self, but both Nero and Discus have good canon support. Surething has a patch template to use the Canon.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote