Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 15, 2003, 12:29 AM   #1

Default Epson Stylus Photo 820

Hi, can anyone who owns this printer give me the driver tweaks/settings to get the best print possible, both on 4x6's and 8.5x11's..I've wasted all the ink in both cartridges trying to get an 'acceptable' print, no luck so far..Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2003, 10:31 AM   #2

Default Epson 820 quality

I use the 820 and get fantastic results. It would help if we knew what software you are using, your settings within that software. etc. I know that I was getting great results within Apple's IPhoto but not with Photoshop. Then I learned how to set up Photoshop. I might be able to help, but I need more information.
Are you using the latest driver? Is your monitor calibrated?

Cliff
CliffL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2003, 1:30 PM   #3

Hi Cliff, yes my monitor is calibrated and I'm using the river that came with the printer and Microsoft's 'Picture It' as my editor. I've also got an HP Photosmart printer and a Canon S820 printer, both of which work perfectly for me...I had read somewhere else about how to access the 'best' settings in the Epson driver, but it is so complicated, I forget how. Using the normal settings produces total crap...thanks, Johnny
Old Apr 17, 2003, 2:29 PM   #4

It could be that the microsoft picture it software does'nt support Print image matching.

Try using the film factory software that came with it along with the latest update from epsons website that allows it to support exif. Once you get that done I'm sure it should produce a far better print. Also you may want to consider doing a search someplace like dogpile.com for icm profiles Just search "icm Epson 820"

here is a link that I found that explains a lot and also has some color profiles for you to download.

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/med...ia_print_1.htm
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2003, 2:30 PM   #5

Also I reccomend picking up a copy of photoshop. You can get a copy on ebay for a very good price.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 3:07 PM   #6

I certainly second gregersonsalvage and his suggestion you pick up a copy of Photoshop. Actually, I use Photoshop elements 2.0 and find that for under a hundred bucks it does everything I need.
When I got my 820 (free with a Mac) I went to the Epson site and downloaded the newest driver. That's the first thing you should check.
With PSE, I found that ensuring the color source in Print Preview was set to sRGB, Nikon sRGB, or "same as source," fixed any color problems I was having.
I'm not familiar with the Microsoft product at all, so I'm afraid I can't offer any suggestions there. Try Photoshop (or PS Elements) and you will find either to be great to work with. You can also get a lot more help, since that's what so many others use.

Cliff
CliffL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2003, 11:19 PM   #7

Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 12:12 AM   #8

I actually have the microsoft picture it pro software and I love it since it is very easy to use. The only thing is that I don't think that things like PIM and Exif are part of its compatability but I will suggest it for the next version through the grapevine.

Currently there are only a few programs that support the things you want to do one of them is actually qimage which will let you make a free download and trial. Also the thing I love about qimage is that it taps into your other programs like the viewer and lets you see how the printer is going to print the picture.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 1:09 AM   #9

Yeah, that's what I like about Picture It, it was the only software program that I found that showed you exactly how your photo was going to be printed...I use others, like PhotoImpact or Photo Deluxe for editing and then transfer the finished work to Picture It to gain full control of the printing process...Johnny
Gregerson, you shoild be able to give me a step-by-step process for getting the 'best' print from the 820..I know Epson support had given me that info, but I lost it.. basically, I want to print borderless 4x6's on Epson glossy paper...blessings, Johnny
Old Apr 18, 2003, 8:16 AM   #10

The Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 has a feature where you can select a "Picture package" to print. You get a selection of, for example, the ability to print a 5x7 and 4 wallet-sized prints. And as you make each selection, it shows you how the page will be laid out.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote