Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 18, 2006, 12:24 PM   #1

hi there good people of the world. can you help me. i have a canon mp500 which works great and ive even managed to get it to print onto printable CDs but if i ask it to print more than one document (even text docs) the first one prints instantly and perfectly but it will then wait for 5 mins to print the second and a further 5 for the next and so on. i have a USB2 machine with lots of spare mem and runing XPpro. if i scan and print then she works fine even when asked to make multiple copies so i assume its a problem with comunication between printer and PC. perhapse the printer is not telling the PC the doc is fiinished printing. any suggestions?????
fine-an-dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2006, 4:58 PM   #2

Daft question but have you checked that:
a) you have a USB 2 cable
b) that you're plugging it into a USB 2 port and not a 1.1 speed.

Beyond that, start looking at the amount of free resources you have in your machine along with things like anti-malware software, etc..
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:07 PM   #3

Websnail is very knowlegable and those questions are questions to ask. But I do visit many printer forums and your post is the first complaint I have seen of this nature. I also do guess that you have isolated the problem
to the printer drivers and the ways the PC communicates with the printer.

But this printer has to be in warranty. So I would be calling Canon tech support--who may have some troubleshooting suggestions. But it could be in unistalling and reinstalling the driver software. Or even could be
a mechanical problem in the printer. But let it be Canons problem---that is what a warranty is for.

But do post back when you find out what it is---and if websnail turns out to be right and I wasted your time.
Well then-------------------------------------------
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 3:44 AM   #4

thank you both for your replies. the usb cable was my thought also so i did buy a new usb 2 cable. yes my machine is usb 2 ive uninstalled my drivers and software and re-installed with no change. the machine is only a few days old and is still warrantied but canon service desk is £1 per min about $1.70 per min. i called them regardless of the cost to hear thank you for your call please be aware your call is important to us however all our advisors are busy bla bla bla the call lasted a minute. i thought i had already paid for the item! ive also emailed there tech desk and await there reply but thought id start this thread and draw on the experience of fellow users.

my thought is there is a problem with spooling but im not sure how or if i can change these settings. please advise

cheers John
Old Apr 19, 2006, 7:29 AM   #5

Thanks for the write up Osage.. I'll repay the compliment some day

fine-an-dandy wrote:
Quote:
thank you both for your replies. the usb cable was my thought also so i did buy a new usb 2 cable. yes my machine is usb 2 ive uninstalled my drivers and software and re-installed with no change. the machine is only a few days old and is still warrantied but canon service desk is £1 per min about $1.70 per min. i called them regardless of the cost to hear thank you for your call please be aware your call is important to us however all our advisors are busy bla bla bla the call lasted a minute. i thought i had already paid for the item! ive also emailed there tech desk and await there reply but thought id start this thread and draw on the experience of fellow users.

my thought is there is a problem with spooling but im not sure how or if i can change these settings. please advise

cheers John
Hmm, I'd actually go with the idea of trying to get it repaired or warranty replaced but you could try approaching the store you bought the unit from to see if they're obliged to sort the warranty out for you.. If nought else they may just replace it.

Beyond that the spooling could indeed be an issue so smarty money is on checking your MP500 properties -> advanced tab and seeing how your spooling is setup.

In truth I have my doubts that that is the cause but here's a few other things to consider:

1. Is the printer connected through a hub?
- if it is, try connecting it without the hub

2. Have you checked to see how much resources you have available to you when you print
- ie: hit CTRL + ALT + DEL
- look at the "Performance" Tab and "Processes" Tab

3. Do you have other USB devices hooked up to your PC that might be using up resources?

I know this one sounds odd but I've noticed that if I have something working via USB on a different device, printing seems to just about stall.

4. Do you have a lot of anti-spyware/malware/virus software on your PC?
- Does it make any difference if you disable one or more of these?

Again, it's one of those things that I've noticed more and more of late, that PC's with heavy anti-malware protection run things a lot slower and processes like printing suffer a lot.

Oh and before I forget the people who handle warranty repair and replacement in the UK are: electroversal (see details below).

As to organising a return, having returned a Canon printer myself before the number to use is: 08705 143 723. Which should be cheaper than their tech support number.

Electroversal
Ribocon Way
Luton
LU4 9UR
Tel: 01582 633 908
Fax: 01582 582 087

Web: www.electroversal.com/canonrepair/home.html

Best of luck and do let us know if you figure it out..
Old Apr 19, 2006, 1:14 PM   #6

thanks again for your help. it seams I'm amongst friends.

i dont connect via a hub. my machine is legacy free with 10USB 2 connections and only printer keyboard/mouse and card reader connected.

i bought the machine from amazon online store for £118 including postage so there is no help desk there but i got the great price i think but no point of sale help.

usable mem is half gig which is usualy half un-used and processor is generally 90%free but i will check to see if that changes dramatically when i try to print.

anti spyware i have none but do use norton utilities 2005 with firewall and antivirus.

thanks for the repair centre details ill try and call them if i have no joy b4weekend.

I'm still waiting for my reply from canon service desk

thanks a lot John

ps formally i had a HP psc 750 which worked fine but needed new inks so decided to replace the whole thing with the intagrated card reader and cd-r printing ability the printer worked fine with no problems printing multiple pages so this problem came with the printer.

Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:34 AM   #7

i hope you people can work it out for me. ive conected the printer to another machine which is limited to USB1 600 processor and limited memory and theprinter works fine with it so i guess the problem is with myPC.

any sugestions.

i tried to re-install my windows XP in hope that wouldsolve the problem of maybe a corrupt file but it said the version of windows on my machine is newer than the one im trying to install. i assume thats because ive got SP 2 installed. if i continue i will lose all files and folders so i decided to wait as ive got far too many pics on there of the kids.

canon has still not replied
Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:19 PM   #8

fine-an-dandy wrote:
Quote:
i hope you people can work it out for me. ive conected the printer to another machine which is limited to USB1 600 processor and limited memory and theprinter works fine with it so i guess the problem is with myPC.
First bit of advice would be to backup your important data... I'm pretty sure your printer being slow is not worth becoming impatient and "Fixing" your computer so nothing works

Take it from someone who ignores his own advice all the time :P

As to cause, I'd look at your motherboard and see if you can get any updated drivers for your system.. It sounds a little like it could be the USB ports but that's not for certain...
Old Apr 21, 2006, 2:20 PM   #9

To fine-an-dandy,

You now somewhat have your diagnosis---its not the MP500--its in your software and in the way it communicates with the machine.

Years ago, I had a similar problem with another brand printer---in this case it was wierd--the first print after every boot up of the computer took better than a minute to start to print when connected to USB 1.1--regardless of file size. After that all prints were started fast. Changing the hook up to a parallel cable showed no such problem. But sadly there may be no direct way to connect your MP500 to a parallel cable---but there may be so check it out--there are some cables that adapt parallel to usb.

But going back to my years ago problem--most usb chip sets worked with that printer and driver--but not the one on my motherboard. Because it worked on parallel, I kept the printer.

So Websnail is correct, you need to find the mother board maker for your PC and get with them--check for available updates. --or any known workarounds. You also need to hold both the store you bought the printer and Canon's feet up to the fire----the one thing that always get their attention is the threat to just take the printer back for a full refund-----and when you do talk to Canon Tech support, they will need to know who made the USB chip set for your motherboard. Its Canon's job to make sure their printers work with all PC's.---or warn consumers that their printers are incompatable with given chipsets.

Canon's failure to get back with you is totally unacceptable---remind the store of that.--you need to get this problem to the attention of Canon Tech support.----don't take no for an answer.--and one number Canon always does answer is the line for consumer asking about which printer to buy--try asking them what printer does not do what the MP500 does.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 3:44 AM   #10

thanks again guys. i looked on some other forum to see if i could find an answer and found a man who posted about a month ago with the exact same fault. so much so that i had to study it to make sure my words had not been cut and pasted or something.

he returned his printer without the problem being solved. i never did make any contact so not sure if there was any resolution after the return.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=17470621

as for motherboard abit IT7max 2 v2.0

is there a way i can over write my op system without losing my files (of course ill back them onto DVD b4 i do but its still a worry that ill miss something and a pain to replace them onto system. I'm sure ive done it before but cant rememmber if it was pre install of SP2

can i ask another unrelated question to you guys in the know

when typing text for instance in here. if i make a mistakein the midle of the sentence and try to rectify it some times i can just erase and replace but sometimes i erase and when replacing it starts to delete the text after it why is this?