Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 15, 2003, 4:14 PM   #1

Default Canon i950 vs Canon s9000

Hello!
I am preparing to buy my first photo quality printer and am confused about the difference between the Canon i950 and the Canon s9000. Besides the carrige size, I can't find a noticeable difference in the descriptions I read. The price is certainly noticeable though!
Does anyone out there have any advice for me, or know if there is any major differences between the two?
Thanks!
Peebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2003, 2:44 AM   #2

Well the carriage size is a big factor if you plan on printing larger than 8.5x11, but the inks are the same...according to the Canon reps, the I950 finally got the 'blue's' right...you could not possibly go wrong by choosing the S9000, the technology is basically the same, and to the naked eye, no difference..blessings, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2003, 3:18 AM   #3

The i950 uses a smaller (2pl) droplet size than the S900/9000 (4pl). This should produce more detail in the print. Opinions seem to vary as to whether or not you can see this difference at normal viewing distances - some owners with both printers cannot see any significant difference, others can. I think that it depends on how good you eyesight is and how closely you look at the prints.

Something else to consider is that Canon had some problems last year with print head failures on the S900/9000 series. So far there haven't been any problems reported with the i950.

The real difference is the wide carriage printing on the S9000. If you have a 4MP+ camera you might want to print larger sizes than 8.5x11.

The S9000 is about to be replaced by the i9100 which appears to be a minor upgrade only - still has the 4pl droplet size of the S9000. There might be good deals available on the S9000.

Chris
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote