Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 20, 2006, 2:20 PM   #1

I have a Canon i950 printer which died -- I've tried all the remedies to unclog the printhead and don't want to risk buying a new printhead for $80 or more, only to possibly find it still doesn't work. So I was all set to buy a Canon ip8500, high end printer to replace it but Canon has taken it off the market. They have announced the new pixma pro 9000/9500 printers, but its not clear when they will be available and they are wide format, occupying more desk space than needed if you dont ever need 13 inch prints. There seems to be no replacement for the 8-cardtridge ip8500 (only the wide format i9900). Or is there something I don't know?
spocksbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2006, 7:27 PM   #2

spocksbrain wrote:
Quote:
I have a Canon i950 printer which died -- I've tried all the remedies to unclog the printhead and don't want to risk buying a new printhead for $80 or more, only to possibly find it still doesn't work. So I was all set to buy a Canon ip8500, high end printer to replace it but Canon has taken it off the market. They have announced the new pixma pro 9000/9500 printers, but its not clear when they will be available and they are wide format, occupying more desk space than needed if you dont ever need 13 inch prints. There seems to be no replacement for the 8-cardtridge ip8500 (only the wide format i9900). Or is there something I don't know?
Nope, your as clued as as one can be without being a Canon insider. Unless you hit http://froogle.com the i8500 is hard to find, the i9900 is slightly easier. So if you don't need A3, act quicky. See the end of the review for sources for the i9900 http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...non_i9900.html

The pro 9000 is, or will be a 8 color printer just like the prior generation i9900.
http://cweb.canon.jp/pixus/lineup/pro9000/index.html
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...;modelid=12892

It at least shares the same number of nozzles as the prior generation ip8500/i9900, so it may even be the same head. Your only other option is the ip6600D, the more spendy mp950, or mail ordering a ip7500 from japan and tweeking it to accept americna ink, where the mp950/ip7500 are the 7 tank models.

I'm not aware of any direct replacement for the ip8500.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 1:50 AM   #3

spocksbrain wrote:
Quote:
You have several options:

1. CompUSA still has some ip8500 in stock at close out prices.

2. Check eBay often for one.

3. Buy a ip5200 it's pretty much the same quality without the need to go with 8 tanks. The newer ink with 3600 nozzles produces a stunning photo that will compete dead on with the ip8500.
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote