Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 21, 2006, 7:48 PM   #1

Hello everybody,

I have a Canon i250 which is over 3 years old and ink is starting to leak out of it,
i was wondering if anyone knows where (in UK) can i buy a new replacement or a another new printer what takes same carts as the i250.

Glamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2006, 8:23 PM   #2

Hi Glamster,

Your i250 takes the BCI-24 black and tri-color cartridges. I am more familar with the US models but the direct replacements of these printers is found in the pixma ip 1000 ip1500, and ip2000. Multifuntional models using that printer engine and cartridge line are to be found in the MP130, MP370, and MP390. While all these printers carry a low initial purchase price, the quality of out put is rated quite high, but using OEM ink none of these printers are especially economical when compared to other Canons using OEM ink and the BCI-3&6 cartridge families. But when paired with dirt cheap third party cartridges readily available on the internet, any printer using BCI-24 cartridges can make a good choice for someone interested in low initial purchase price.

Sadly many of these printers have been replaced in the Canon line by new chipped replacements--I refer to pixma printers with model numbers of ip1600, ip1700, and the MP150--which is by no means an exhastive list.
But the chips in these printers prevent the use of third party prefilled cartridges and are in my personal opinion have OEM cartridges too small in ink capacity to make good refill candidates. Making this set of chipped Canons frankly a horrible choice for the consumer even though the lure of a low price remains--in short you will get gouged on the ink.

I am not familar with the availability of non-chipped canons in the UK market---but get a non-chipped canon if possible--and by all means you will do better with something like a ip4000 or ip5000 that uses the larger BCI-3&6 cartridge line---and if you are heavily into photoprinting--consider 6 or more color printers.

But telling us more about your printing needs may help us better help you.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 8:52 PM   #3

Glamster wrote:
Quote:
Hello everybody,

I have a Canon i250 which is over 3 years old and ink is starting to leak out of it,
i was wondering if anyone knows where (in UK) can i buy a new replacement or a another new printer what takes same carts as the i250.

There is a person selling one from the states for a reasonable price
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-i250-Pri...QQcmdZViewItem

I was thinking this took bci-24s... the picture on this e-bay lsiting confused me.... assuming you take bci-24s there is the ip1500 and the ip2000 both the last models made which accept the same cartridges, though takes a different head
http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPC-Canon_...I450_PRINTHEAD
Other printers taking bci-24s, while technicaly the replacement for the qy6-0044 I have no idea if it's compatable. You could ask canon on that fine point.

But the bci-24 tank printers have been abandoned in favor of head on the cartridge models... and while you might find a printer on closeout which "might" work, I'd say the odds are qutie slim. There is e-bay and there is always canon.
http://www.electroversal.com/

while likely top dollar, these are the offical people UK residents deal with for canon parts near as i'm aware.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 7:28 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies

Quote:
But telling us more about your printing needs may help us better help you
Mostly used for normal every day stuff but i do hammer it for photos when an occasion comes up (christmas, easter, birthday etc). I also like the dirt cheap cartridges on ebay which for my printing needs saves me money.

Old Apr 22, 2006, 9:58 AM   #5

To Glamster,

So I am going to assume you are a low to moderate printer user who likes getting prefilled cartridges on the internet--the latter preference immediately says you don't want a chipped Canon. As any chipped Canon absolutely refuses to work with prefilled third party cartridges.

Unless you have a large inventory of unused BCI-24 cartridges, I still recommend you get something like a pixma ip3000, 4000, or ip5000. ==which are unchipped. You can buy BCI-3&6 cartridges for about the same amount you pay for a BCI-24 and you get triple the ink and printed pages. The initial purchase price is not much more than something using the smaller BCI-24 cartridges. And do not get the chipped ip4200 or ip5200.

But its always your money and your choice.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 11:55 AM   #6

Thanks

Exactly what i wanted, i assumed all the other canons had chipped carts. I will buy one of those you mentioned.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 1:59 PM   #7

Glamster wrote:
Quote:
Thanks

Exactly what i wanted, i assumed all the other canons had chipped carts. I will buy one of those you mentioned.
I will say if worse comes to worse, I "imagine" one can take their chipped tank to Cartridge World for a refill... just presently there is no way to reset the chip so you loose your ability to meter. Eventually the chips will be cracked, so the worst case scenero is you have to change your habbits, actually have to go outside and deal with humans to get ink for your printer till the humanless solution is offered.

But do double check with "Cartridge World" on this fact... I don't live there and only know they are physicaly able to refill, whether they are willing is another matter.http://www.cartridgeworld.org/

Osage's advice is sound, though I will add that the ip3000/4000/ip5000 are hard to find. You might have to resort to e-bay. Those tanks are avilable, they are more cost effective than thimble bci-24s by far, and the printer it self is rather popular. Ip4200/5200 may be available, when is unknown.

Old Apr 22, 2006, 2:38 PM   #8

To Glamster,

Zakezuke makes the point that trumps all said here before--its one thing to know what you want and quite another to be able to find it and buy it. As I previously mention I don't know local UK markets conditions but
you may be reduced to looking on ebay. But maybe some one in the UK can post some market links for non chipped Canons.

But I do wish to make a few points---any Canon taking the BCI-3&6 cartridge line is non chipped and would make a fine choice for you. But given your limited photoprinting needs, I would recommend you not buy a six or more color printer.

The more readily available chipped Canons like the ip4200 or ip5200 could be decent choices for you under two conditions (1) You will have to give up on third party prefilled cartridges--and are far better off learning to refill your own--its actually quite easy--and that subject is covered in detail on the nifty stuff forums. (2) You will have to manually monitor ink levels. (3) The joyous day may come when the chip is defeated--just an if and when question.

For your information and its somewhat my opinion----a canon using OEM BCI-3&6 cartridges is about twice as economical as a Canon using OEM BCI-24 cartridges. Given you have a Canon using BCI-3&6 cartridges, cartridge world refilling will save you by a factor of 2x, prefilled third party cartridges by a factor of up to 7x with price not a good predictor of quality, and refilling your own cartridges at your printing volume about 12 x.
But high volume refillers can save by factors up to 40 x. But if you do go the refill route, don't use just any old ink-----use formulalabs, MIS, or hobbicolors to name just three excellent ones.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 7:34 PM   #9

Osage wrote:
Quote:
But I do wish to make a few points---any Canon taking the BCI-3&6 cartridge line is non chipped and would make a fine choice for you. But given your limited photoprinting needs, I would recommend you not buy a six or more color printer.
Agreed, though the ip6000D you can actually get for about 150 quid on Amacom.co.uk. No big black so you are limited to the 14ml dye black, so it's not going to be as cheap to run. And it's 150 quid when 50 to 60 should solve the problem in the first place... depending on how much waste ink is in your i250.

The ip4200 in contrast is £65.

Quote:
For your information and its somewhat my opinion----a canon using OEM BCI-3&6 cartridges is about twice as economical as a Canon using OEM BCI-24 cartridges.
My opinion is similar though best to check your self. Given the bci-24 is 9.5ml for the black, and 5.5ml for each color in the try color, and ip3000 and above is going to take a 25ml big black, or 26ml on ip4200/5200 and 14ml colors.. all you need to is take what you are spending now on ink and multiply by 2.6 for the black, 2.5 for the color, and compare that with the other options. Usually it's more cost effective by 30% to 100% for aftermarket or OEM supplies, though there are exceptions.

While one can dispite the merits of bci-24 like with the i250 and the bci3e/6 on the ip3000 and above, the £31 ip1600 head on the cartridge which costs so much more it should be avoided like the plague.

Quote:
use formulalabs, MIS, or hobbicolors to name just three excellent ones.
MIS is technicaly a store in the states that sells, near as I can tell "Image Specalists" ink, which is exported by the shipload. Formulabs is also shipped by the shipload. OCP is out of Germany I believe and is likely one brand Cartridge World uses, there are claims they employ both OCP and Formulabs. Hobbicolors is again a store in the states which sells on e-bay, but is so low in cost it's worth checking out even taking shipping into account. Their bag is that they sell easy refillable tanks with their ink for the ip3000/4000/5000/6000/8500. Lyson is UK but tends to fetch a premium.