Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 29, 2006, 11:05 AM   #1

mainly I will just be printing 4x6 and 5x7 pictures at home. I might occasionally print something larger... just bought a canon s2-is camera and looking for something to compliment my pictures....

i figure i might as well stick with canon brand.... and would like to stay under $300 if possible... thanks
00bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2006, 4:02 PM   #2

00bolt wrote:
Quote:
mainly I will just be printing 4x6 and 5x7 pictures at home. I might occasionally print something larger... just bought a canon s2-is camera and looking for something to compliment my pictures....

i figure i might as well stick with canon brand.... and would like to stay under $300 if possible... thanks
Under $300 is not a problem.

Canon ip5200 ----I have not had a chance to really use mine yet, i've had too much on my plate. But it gets a decent review. I think I paid $130ish for mine, expect $150ish, or $200ish for the wireless edition the ip5200D. Good choice if you plan to do photos and text, and it does a great job with only 4+1 ink tanks. The ip4200 is the same thing with a smaller head and less nozzles.

Canon ip8500-This is Canon's 8 tank solution and can still be had searching the likes of froogle.com slightly more than $300. Not in produciton anymore, it seems canon only plans to offer 8 tanks in a wide model. As with all multi-tank printers expect running costs to be higher as the light inks are eaten like candy.

Discussion on the Canon ip6600D vs the R320--- If Epson, I'd lean tward the R200 as you can get them on the epson website for $59 shipped, or rougly $11.00 less than the ink it comes with. While I had bad luck with mine, it's one nice photo printer, and buying a pair would save you money in ink and give you a spaire. The R3x0 is the same thing but with card slots and a screen. While I question Epson's reliablity, and they do have a propensity to clog, they are top notch photo printers.

The ip6600D is canon's 6 tank solution but unlike the lesser model doesn't offer the pigment black for text, so expect text to cost more per page, not look as good, and not be as durable. Canon didn't see fit to release the ip7500 other than in Japan which offers the 6 tanks plus a pigment black, this is available elsewhere in the MP900/mp950, their top of the line multi-fuctional. but that's about $350/$400ish.

Epson R800-$200 referb shipped from the epson store. Expect it to cost $350 to $400 in stores. Pigment inks last an age, extra blue and red inks.
HP Photosmart 8450- While taking head on the cart style, this printer is nothing to sneeze at esp since you can use a tri-grey tank. Can still be had on closeout sub $150 with onboard ethernet. Lowest price for an 8 ink printer.

HP PhotoSmart 8250 - This is the new one which some prefer the older 8450. Takes 6 ink tanks but lacks the three levels of black the 8450 had. Unlike other HPs this lacks a pigment black.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 8:54 PM   #3

To 00bolt,

Zakezuke has a pretty complete list there---but a model not mentioned is the Canon ip6000d--available on line at outpost.com and at amazon.com--and last I checked they were cheaper at outpost at a mere $100. plus shipping. The ip6000d is a six color printer--not as good as the ip5200 at general purpose printing but probably better at photos---its now a discontinued canon model---but it does have the virtue of being non-chipped--which makes using dirt cheap prefilled third party cartridges a good option and refilling a snap.

I would not buy a chipped canon--and consider umchipped Canons a much better option. But now a days--all printers seem to be using chips of one variety or another.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote