Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 30, 2006, 6:07 PM   #1

I just purchased the canon Pixma iP5200 and am trying to get it set up. All was well until inserting the "8" black cartridge. The indicator light will not light up. All of the other cartridges are lit. The orange alarm light is flashing 7 times to indicate it is not installed properly. We have reinstalled it, exactly as the other 4 cartridges, but still it will not light up and therefore we can not proceed. I have searched the manual and online support but can find nothing. Of course technical support is CLOSED! Has anyone run in to this? Is there a solution? The machine came with extra color cartridges but no black one and there is no way to obtain another tonight.

Thank you for your help!
forheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2006, 7:30 PM   #2

To Forheather,

There should be no extra cartridge. Its my understanding that the ip5200 comes with five cartridges.
The large CLI-5 text cartridge--and four CLI-8 color cartridges in cyan, yellow, magenta, and photoblack.
The chip in the cartridge warns you if any cartridge is in the wrong slot on the printhead. Which should show on a decal on the printhead---maybe the printhead is mislabeled---a double check with your user manual should feret that out.

But my first guess is that you have some wrong cartridges in the wrong slots---take all of them out and start over. Hopefully this will fix the problem--or at least its my first guess.

I am not a big fan of chipped canon's--but the chip does warn you of a wrong cartridge in the wrong slot.

But after reading and rereading your post---if you have no CLI-8 photoblack--and some duplicate CLI-8 color.
Its a clear case of a factory bungle---sh*t happens---and when it happens to me I just ask myself--but why does it always have to happen to me.--but then its tech support in the morning.

Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 7:53 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply! The extra cartridges were "bonus" cartridges, ie we got two yellow, two magenta and two cyan. But only one each of the black "8" and larger black "5" cartridges. They are all really clearly marked which one goes in which slot and they appear the same in all the documentaion. We've tried removing them to no avail. I'm not sure if the problem is with the printer or the cartridge itself.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 9:16 PM   #4

forheather wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for your reply! The extra cartridges were "bonus" cartridges, ie we got two yellow, two magenta and two cyan. But only one each of the black "8" and larger black "5" cartridges. They are all really clearly marked which one goes in which slot and they appear the same in all the documentaion. We've tried removing them to no avail. I'm not sure if the problem is with the printer or the cartridge itself.
My experence base is limited on the ip5200... i've got one but I barely had a chance to use it. From my understanding you "should" be able to use it so long as the cartridges are in the slots, and so long as those cartridges have chips on them. You should be able to print if it's bone dry empty so long as you click the approperate warning. I wouldn't print bone dry empty... if I was in a pinch i'd refill the black with at least something like windex.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 10:06 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply!

We can't even get past the test print. The printer is not recognizing that the "8" black cartridge is in place, ie the cartridge does not light up like the others.

Old Apr 30, 2006, 10:25 PM   #6

I have never heard, in the entire history of the world, that Canon ever dished out bonus cartridges.
But I do wonder if some misguided canon employee, when faced with the certainty that they were faced with a whole lot of some bad cartridges, may have tossed in some extra cartridges. Hoping against hope that some of the set would get you doing.

Question one---could any of the cartridges bear the BCI instead of the CLI designation?

Question two---could you have gotten lucky enough to actually get a ip5000 instead of an ip5200?

Question three---can you identify by swapping cartridges among duplicates--exactly what cartridge triggers the alarm?

But if this is a brand new printer--its canon's warranty--do nothing without their supervision.
It will wait until morning.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 1:48 AM   #7

forheather wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

We can't even get past the test print. The printer is not recognizing that the "8" black cartridge is in place, ie the cartridge does not light up like the others.

As much as i'd like to help... what is required is basic troubleshooting which would require a known good cartridge to isolate whether the problem is with the printer or with the cartridge. the only other thing that could cause the issue your speaking of "I imagine" is if the head was not seated properly and not making all the correct contacts.
Canon is very good about support, at least issuing replacement parts and referbished printers at a drop of a hat.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 6:09 PM   #8

Update....My husband spoke with Canon today, the gentleman he spoke to was notvery helpful, told him it was most likely the ink cartridge and that we would have to return it to the store (1 1/2 hours away) to exchange it fora new one to try. He was told that Canon does not warranty their ink cartridges. I was able to purchase a new cartridge locally and it does work. I called back the 1-800 # and spoke to a helpful rep who told me if I faxed in the sales slip for the new cartridge he would reimburse me and send an envelope to return the defective one to him. I've only had a chance to print one 4x6 photo so far but it looks great!

The printer we bought came with 3 "bonus" cartridges of cyan, magenta and yellow, for a total of two of each of those colors, as well as a 50 pack of Photo paper glossy 4x6 paper.

Thanks for you help.