Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 1, 2006, 5:50 AM   #1

I recently got an "out of ink" warning and immediately changed the magenta tank on my iP4000. I've had the printer for a year or so, and done this dozens of times before with no problem. This time, however, any magenta areas in the print were washed out. Thinking that perhaps the tank had dried out somehow, I changed it again, with the same result - any area of pure magenta comes out pale, while areas that should be brilliant red come out a yellow with a slightly brownish tinge.

I have tried everything I can think of - taking out the tank and re-seating it (there is no visible obstruction on the tank or on the upper surface of the print head), cleaning and deep cleaning, but nothing works.

The replacement reservoirs I used are Canon, not third party.

Do you have any suggestion to help me? The official tech help I can get hold of here in Belgium seems to be trained in something other than printers or customers.
Kalense is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2006, 6:13 AM   #2

To kalense,

Sounds like you have a slightly clogged printhead. But step one should always be a nozzle check. To rule out a badly feeding cartridge--remove magenta cartridge--give a slight squeeze to the magenta cartrudge over a newspaper--or stainless steel sink--ink should drip out the ink outlet hole, and then the dripping should slow--and then stop..

Since the printer is over a year old---its probably out of warranty. So its best done as a do it your self thing. The nifty stuff forums have extensive threads on printhead unclogging--but often a slight soak is all it takes to get what you discribe taken care of.

Meanwhile don't do extensive printing--a printhead running dry can damage the electronics. My guess is that the small sponge below the magenta cartridge is clogged
with dried ink--just a little windex and compressed air may set things right.

Good luck.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 1:23 PM   #3

Osage wrote:
Quote:
To kalense,

Sounds like you have a slightly clogged printhead. But step one should always be a nozzle check. To rule out a badly feeding cartridge--remove magenta cartridge--give a slight squeeze to the magenta cartrudge over a newspaper--or stainless steel sink--ink should drip out the ink outlet hole, and then the dripping should slow--and then stop..

Since the printer is over a year old---its probably out of warranty. So its best done as a do it your self thing. The nifty stuff forums have extensive threads on printhead unclogging--but often a slight soak is all it takes to get what you discribe taken care of.

Meanwhile don't do extensive printing--a printhead running dry can damage the electronics. My guess is that the small sponge below the magenta cartridge is clogged
with dried ink--just a little windex and compressed air may set things right.

Good luck.
Osage's advice is sound,

Regarding Canon support... it be possible that canon might still honor a printer slightly out of the warranty period. This would include Canon USA and Canon UK, which may or may not be part of Canon Europe. I would press the issue with support and ask about a head replacement, it may be possible they give you one for free. Given heads are a limited life product, a free one is superior to any toilet paper and windex solution. Worth an e-mail or a phonecall.

Besure to say the following...

1. I have x printer bought at x time
2. I have tried deep cleaning x times
3. I think the head is kauput
4. I use Canon ink only

I don't know the number off the top of my head of deep cleans before canon says "it's toast", could be 3, but best to ask them. A scan of your nozzle check might be helpful as well.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 11:20 AM   #4

Thank you both. Windex, kleenex and compressed air sounds a bit scary, but I'll have a look at the "neat stuff" fora to try to find some guidance. I'm all for Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance.
Old May 8, 2006, 11:18 AM   #5

My difficulties continue.

I rinsed out a used reservoir using windolene and filled it with a specially designed solvent, and replaced the magenta tank with that to clean the print head. For good measure, I repeated that for the other heads as well.

The result?

No perceptible change. Any request for magenta is answered by a delivery of about half the intensity requested, whether pure or mixed with another colour of ink.

It looks to me very much like a software problem, or a setting gone awry, but I can't find anywhere that gives me the possibility of changing these settings.

It's starting to look like the only option is to buy another printer - since the cost of a service will doubtless be close to the cost of replacing the printer.
Old May 8, 2006, 6:29 PM   #6

Get the latest driver for your printer: http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...wnloadIndexAct Just uninstalling and reinstalling might help.

Try turning off auto color management and switching to manual. It is "color adjustment" on the main tab. If it is already on manual try auto.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 7:34 PM   #7

Kalense wrote:
Quote:
My difficulties continue.

I rinsed out a used reservoir using windolene and filled it with a specially designed solvent, and replaced the magenta tank with that to clean the print head. For good measure, I repeated that for the other heads as well.

The result?

No perceptible change. Any request for magenta is answered by a delivery of about half the intensity requested, whether pure or mixed with another colour of ink.

It's starting to look like the only option is to buy another printer - since the cost of a service will doubtless be close to the cost of replacing the printer.
Do take slipe's advice, and do consider that you may need more agressive cleaning. There is a technique on nifty-forums that involes toilet paper in windolene... where you press the printhead softly onto the paper, and pull quickly, till the printhead is completely free of ink. This mechanical washing back and forth can get serious clogs that simple flowing of ink can no.

Do also consider talking to canon as it's possible they will give you a free printhead even though you are outside the offical warranty period. But also consider that printheads are light lightbulbs and do eventually fail.

Though... what is also possible... if the magenta is comming out 1/2 as intense as it should... do a printhead test and see if all the nozzles are firing. If they are... you might have a software problem, or you might have bought "photo magenta" rather than regular "magenta".

Old May 9, 2006, 10:00 AM   #8

"you might have bought "photo magenta" rather than regular "magenta"".

Nobody could be that stupid, could they?

Um, yes.

OK, so what did I learn from this? Well, that it helps to know exactly what it is that you are buying. "Photo magenta" sounds like rather a good thing for somebody who is only using his printer for printing photos. But don't leap to conclusions - and don't ask people in stationery stores advice on printer inks.

Thanks, everybody, for your time and patience and help. I now have the cleanest printer this side of the Zambezi - and guess what? In despair, I went out and bought an ip5200 this morning, so now I have 2 printers, and lots and lots of photo cyan, photo magenta, photo yellow tanks that are doing me no good at all.

A joke? Me?
Old May 9, 2006, 12:10 PM   #9

Kalense wrote:
Quote:
"you might have bought "photo magenta" rather than regular "magenta"".

Nobody could be that stupid, could they?

Um, yes.

OK, so what did I learn from this? Well, that it helps to know exactly what it is that you are buying. "Photo magenta" sounds like rather a good thing for somebody who is only using his printer for printing photos. But don't leap to conclusions - and don't ask people in stationery stores advice on printer inks.

I wouldn't say stupid... the term "photo magenta" has stumped a great many people, for their printer they bought to print photos, and mostly used photo paper. "Light Magenta" would be a better term, this way people in stationery stores won't reccomend it as being better for photos.

Old May 26, 2006, 6:22 PM   #10

Hey,

I had the same problem with my Canon i860. After cleaning the head with Canon's

software several times, I replaced the magenta cartridge. That didn't work, so as

a last resort, I took the print head out and soaked it with 70% alcohol. Again no

change.I then swabbed the magenta nozzleof the printhead and usedcompressed

air through the small hole in theprint head. I repeated this until all the magentaink

hole camethrough clear. Be sure to use the nozzle close to the hole.

Now, my printing looks like new. Hope this helps you.
mrod is offline   Reply With Quote