Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 21, 2003, 9:38 AM   #1
Suj

Default inkjet quality

Hi there

Is the quality of ink jet printers the same as photo lab quality? I was interested in buying a Canon S820, but wondering if it would offer around 300dpi?
Suj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2003, 2:31 PM   #2

Default What you should buy

Suj,

If you are looking for photo quality go for the Canon i950, it will give you results as good as lab results. You can't tell the difference. It retails for about $250.00 but Amazon has it on sale for $222.94 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...B/mjbdesign-20

If that is too expensice the i850 would still be a good choice. The i850 is on sale at Amazon for $146.99 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...X/mjbdesign-20

Either of these will be good for you but if you can spend the extra $80 go for the i950. It is very impressive.

I have the Canon i950 and the Epson 2200. Both are excellent printers. The i950 will give as good results as the 2200 but will not give you wide format like the 2200 or the same print life. The Epson 2200 retails for $699, Amazon has it for $669.00. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...A/mjbdesign-20

So to wrap up, if you can afford the i950 go for that, if it is a little out of you range I would suggest the i850.

Good luck,
Mike
mrtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 3:51 PM   #3
Suj

Hi Mike

You guys in the states sure are luckey with your prices.. unfortuently the cheapest I can find the 950i in the UK is for 264 (thats around $410 US dollars)

Oh well I think I may stick with getting my prints done at the Photolab until my next bonus at work comes through..

Cheers
Old Apr 21, 2003, 3:59 PM   #4

I have the S800, which is almost exactly like the S820 but I have to use the perforated papers, and love the quality, especially since I have updated my drivers to support the Exif Print capabilities of the Powershot G3. I have had a picture taped to a wall in my office(which is very bright because of 2 windows facing south and 1 facing the west, and likewise the tempreature changes) for just over a year-and-a-half and do not notice that there has been any fading as of yet.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 2:28 AM   #5

Hi Suj, according to 3 expert sources, namely , the moderator of this forum and 2 different Canon tech reps, you will get better photo prints from the S820 or I950, since the I850 is not a photo printer (uses 4 inks). According to the same 3 experts, you will not see any difference between the prints of the $120 S820 and the $230 I950, unless you are using an 8x magnifier. Yes, there's a lot of 'high-fives' among new I950 owners, but did they get a chance to compare the S820? These aren't my quotes, they are 'right from the horse's mouth'...so, trusting in the experts, do yourself a favor and buy an S820 and in a couple of years, upgrade to the next 'super' printer...
Blessings, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2003, 1:04 PM   #6
Suj

Thanks for feedback Johnny

I think I will get the S820, there much cheaper than the i950 here in the UK (still around 220 US dollars though), and the money I save will go towards my new digital camera

Thanks

Suj