Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 21, 2003, 9:51 AM   #1

Default Help with photo printer

Hi everyone, am in the market for a new printer but haveing problems trying to figure out what one to buy. Am more into photo printing then anything so text printing no big deal. What my choices are is the Canon s820 or the i850 and last but not least the epson 825. I have seen photos with the 825 and wow they look really good but my good friend tells me the epson likes to drink the ink, well thats no good lol. so there we have it what printer to buy errrrrr am so confused lol, can anyone out there give me some good advice on this problem i have. thank you ...... :lol:
drummer5140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2003, 1:59 PM   #2

Default What you should do...

Hello,

I have the Canon i950 and the Epson 2200. Both are excellent printers. Not sure what your budget is. The 2200 is a 7 color ink photo printer. From what it sound like from what you are looking for the Epson 2200 is too expensive. Retails for $699, Amazon has it for $669.00. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...A/mjbdesign-20
If that is too rich for your blood the Canon i950 will give you just as good a result minus the wide format and the archival life of the 2200. It is a 6 color ink photo printer. It retails for about $250.00 but Amazon has it on sale for $222.94 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...B/mjbdesign-20

And lastly the Canon i850 also gets high user marks but is only a 4 color ink printer. You could use it for photos as many people do but for photos it would be better to go for the i950. The i850 is on sale at Amazon for $146.99 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...X/mjbdesign-20

Any of these will give you good results but if you can spend the extra $80 and go for the i950 you will be a litte better off. If you need wide format and super long life span of the prints you should get the 2200 but it is expensive.

Good luck with it,
Mike
mrtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 3:52 PM   #3

If you want to stay with the six-color ink, but don't want to spend $250 for the i950, Canon's Estore and Staples.com still has available the S820 for $130. It is a slightly older model (but still less than a year old) that offers six ink colors (the same the the i950 uses) and prints borderless 4x6 and 8.5x11, but just a little slower than the i950.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 2:46 AM   #4

Drummer, you can check out all my other posts on exactly this subject, this is what I found. I bought an S820, based on a referral by Steve, the moderator here. It was an excellent choice, 6 ink tanks and blazing speed, not to mention simple driver controls. I washed my hands of 'Epson' photo printers after 2 terrible experiences, I think you need a degree in aeronautical geophysics to figure out the Epson driver settings, Steve, the moderator, agrees, and I've got several empty Epson cartridges as proof that I just couldn't find a good setting, printing should never be that hard. I've also got an HP Photosmart that produces perfect prints, even if the operator is a blonde, female of Polish descent. So, now you're choice is down to the Canon S820 or S900 and the new I950. While everyone agrees that the I950 is the best printer yet, Steve and 2 different Canon reps have told me that after their comparison's, you will see no discernible difference between the output of the S820 and the I950, unless you are using an 8x magnifier. Both printers use the same ink cartridges and have the same 25 year archival properties using Canon Photo Paper Pro...so, do what many of us have, buy the S820 for about $120 and enjoy a couple of years of excellent prints, and then look at the next-next-next generation of printers...blessings, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote