Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 5, 2006, 8:49 AM   #1

I volunteered to take photos at a charity event and sell them with all profit going to the charity. I originally planned to use an on-line print service with people ordering directly. BUT, in order for me to get the money from the online print service, I have to fill out a tax form (W-9) and suspect also tax forms with the state! At this point in time, I'm not interested in going commercial, so I don't want to deal with tax issues.

So, I think I'll have to print myself. Since these are for sale, I need to have high quality and lasting prints. I was thinking the Canon 8500 or 6600, Epson R800 or the Kodak 1400. I suspect needing to print 150-450 prints.

Thanks in advance for suggestions and recommendations for a printer for this application!

Bob

bob_ledyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2006, 1:40 PM   #2

Bob

For the prints that you are going to make, what size will they be? If you only need to make 8x10 prints, then I would either go with the Epson R800 or the Kodak system. The Kodak would take the abuse better though.

For prints that I would sell, I can not trust the dye based Canon printers. I had prints from my old Canon I9100 fade in less than a year, and that was with Canon ink and Canon Pro paper. I now own an Epson R2400 and love the prints from it, plus they last.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 3:05 PM   #3

Bill,

Thanks for the info. I'd be making 8x10s, maximum, hopefully right at the event. Since I'm doing this at the cost of the printing (all moniesabove printing costs will be donated), I cannot afford to buy 2 printers (ie a back-up), so I need to be sure it will work.

I have an Epson 1280 that prints well - when it decides to NOT clog! I've had it print 5 11x14s and on the sixth - have it clog! Go figure. That's why I was leaning towards the Kodak 1400 - but I've heard the color gamut is not good????

Bob

bob_ledyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 3:19 PM   #4

Bob

The dye subs usually do have a smaller color gamut than the new ink jet printers. Some of the dye subs that I saw blew out the whites. They had trouble showing the detail in this. Other than that, the colors looked good.

The advantage of the R800 would be the ablity to print different sizes per the request of the customer. Ifyou don'thave a good photo paper trimmer, then this could be hard.

The dye subsuse three colors and an over coat for the prints, while you have something like 7 colors in the R800. The newer Epsons don't clog as bad as theolder ones.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 5:45 PM   #5

.epbob_ledyard wrote:
Quote:
I volunteered to take photos at a charity event and sell them with all profit going to the charity. I originally planned to use an on-line print service with people ordering directly. BUT, in order for me to get the money from the online print service, I have to fill out a tax form (W-9) and suspect also tax forms with the state! At this point in time, I'm not interested in going commercial, so I don't want to deal with tax issues.

So, I think I'll have to print myself. Since these are for sale, I need to have high quality and lasting prints. I was thinking the Canon 8500 or 6600, Epson R800 or the Kodak 1400. I suspect needing to print 150-450 prints.

Thanks in advance for suggestions and recommendations for a printer for this application!

Bob

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/B...seBVCookie=yes

The Epson store has the r800 for $200. Unfortunatly for such an event pictbridge would be kinda handy, which the r800 does not have. For that price I imagine you could afford a backup, or better yet, sell the spare when you are done.

The ip6600 would be more ideal for it has pictbridge, as would the Epson r3x00.

As for backups, assuming your going to buy the OEM ink, the epson store has r200s for 59.00, which it would cost you "less" to buy the printers than to buy the ink by a good 10 to 14 bucks. No pictbridge on this model though. The r200, while being dirt cheap, is NOTHING to sneeze at.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote