Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 5, 2006, 6:22 PM   #1

I don't really care about bells and whistles. Iwon't be printing directly from memory cards. Don't care about LCD, card reader, etc. I won't be printing anything but photos as I have a good printer for other documents. I want to print 8x10 in best quality possible. I want ink that won't fade too fast. I have seen good stuff about the ip6600d, the r340, 5200, the hp8250. Opinions? Any others?
emstaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2006, 7:52 AM   #2

emstaples wrote:
Quote:
I don't really care about bells and whistles. Iwon't be printing directly from memory cards. Don't care about LCD, card reader, etc. I won't be printing anything but photos as I have a good printer for other documents. I want to print 8x10 in best quality possible. I want ink that won't fade too fast. I have seen good stuff about the ip6600d, the r340, 5200, the hp8250. Opinions? Any others?
I don't know if there is an advantage to the r340 vs the r200, which you can get at the Epson referb store for $60ish if your in the US, less than the ink it comes with. As long as you are shopping they also carry the r800 for $200ish, it's worth considering esp if you want your prints to not fade. Neither the r200 nor the r800 have any bells and whistles, no pictbridge, no screen, nada. Even if you are not in the states you can get the r200/r220/r240 for less than the 3xx. In models prior to the r340 there was really no difference in print between the r2x0 equilivent.

I have the ip5200, and don't have any direct experence with the i6600D, and really haven't had a chance to use mine yet. The choice between the two is simple, if you want a general purpose printer go 4200/5200... photos only go ip6600D.

You have the HP 8250 but some prefer the 8450 for good reason... more inks though they are on tri color cartridges. HP Photosmart 8450 Photo Printer
on overstock is $132ish shipped. UK users seem to pay a premium for the 8450. Expect a higher drytime.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 8:31 AM   #3

emstaples wrote:
Quote:

Canon ip5200 with ilford Classic Pearl or High Gloss...long lasting framed pictures.

Canon ip6600 with ilford Classic Pearl or High Gloss...long lasting framed pictures.
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 4:48 PM   #4

KnightCrawler, what is the difference between those two Ilford papers you suggested?
ohreli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 6:07 PM   #5

ohreli wrote:
Quote:
KnightCrawler, what is the difference between those two Ilford papers you suggested?

Pearl is less glossy and some people may prefer it for flesh tones and other colors that they find to hot with the high gloss. It also depends on the printer that you are using as that will also affect the results.

Photopaper is a personal thing though and people will have to find paper that they prefer for what they are printing. I like high gloss myself and I like pictures to be vivid others like a toned down picture.
Old May 9, 2006, 12:14 PM   #6

KnightCrawler wrote:
Quote:
ohreli wrote:
Quote:

Pearl is less glossy and some people may prefer it for flesh tones and other colors that they find to hot with the high gloss. It also depends on the printer that you are using as that will also affect the results.

Photopaper is a personal thing though and people will have to find paper that they prefer for what they are printing. I like high gloss myself and I like pictures to be vivid others like a toned down picture.
Have you used Canon Photo Pro? If so, how in your opinion does it compare to the Ilford papers?
ohreli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 12:28 PM   #7

Ok, comparing the R800, the 8450 and the ip5200 or ip6600 - which has best ink quality that won't smear, waterproof, long lasting? I am a little accident prone and don't want pics that take too long to dry. Also, cost to print?

Erin
emstaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 6:00 PM   #8

emstaples wrote:
Quote:
Ok, comparing the R800, the 8450 and the ip5200 or ip6600 - which has best ink quality that won't smear, waterproof, long lasting? I am a little accident prone and don't want pics that take too long to dry. Also, cost to print?

Erin
The Epson r800 would probally be the highest and the slowest to dry... but being pigmened it would be reasonably water resistant. the hp 8450 is pretty slow as well, but the reccomended paper is not water resistant at all, the 8450 though is no longer sold by Amazon but they have links to others who offer it on closeout.

Fast to dry, using microporous paper would be the ip5200 / ip6600 where the ip6600 would certainly cost more than the ip5200 as it uses 6 inks for color printing, the two light inks light candy. The ip5200 in contrast uses only 4 in color printing. I haven't tested canon ink on Illford's paper, but I believe it's the swellable type so odds are you loose water resistance but gain longer life.

The hp 8250 on the otherhand the last time I crunched the numbers was close to being on par with the ip6600 in terms of price per page.

The trully accident prone should consider spraying their prints... adds life and water restance.
Old May 9, 2006, 6:19 PM   #9

emstaples wrote:
Quote:

Erin
They will all last a pretty long time when printed on the right paper. Using resin photopaper for framed pictures or photo albumswill result in a long lasting fade resistant photo.

Comparing the 8450 to the 5200 isn't really fair since the 8450 is $300 and the 5200 is $150. The 8450 is the first hp printer I like although I still hate their cartidges. Canon 5200 is probably the cheapest and easiest to refill.

Most photopapers dry quickly.
Old May 9, 2006, 6:43 PM   #10

KnightCrawler wrote:
Quote:
They will all last a pretty long time when printed on the right paper. Using resin photopaper for framed pictures or photo albumswill result in a long lasting fade resistant photo.

Comparing the 8450 to the 5200 isn't really fair since the 8450 is $300 and the 5200 is $150. The 8450 is the first hp printer I like although I still hate their cartidges. Canon 5200 is probably the cheapest and easiest to refill.

Most photopapers dry quickly.
At the time I bought up the hp 8450 it was pretty cheap on amazon.com. In fact it was $65 at compusa... still is if your store has it in stock. Compgeeks has it referbished for $99 but the warranty isn't very spiffy(and out of stock, silly me), buy.com has it for $140 new but it says something about 1 to 2 weeks to wait. Froogle and amazon.com list it for under $100 new but... no store i've ever done business with.

It's rather shocking that this $300 printer, something that is still a top notch photo printer, with a screen and onboard ethernet is selling for so low. I'll agree the tri-color cartridges are a drag, drytime long, but photo grey is very much worth considering.