Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 22, 2003, 4:03 PM   #1

Default color frustrations with canon i850!

I bought a Canon i850, and though the prints are a lot better than my old Deskjet 950, I am having trouble getting satisfying prints. In retrospect, I probably should have gone with a 6-color printer, but I wanted fast text speed as well, so there I am. :? However, I still think there must be ways to correct some recurring problems. I have experimented with a lot of settings. Some problems I can fix easily---like reducing the yellow so that the skin tones look right. But these are the recurring problems:

1) Pure black areas are not bad, but if the black in the original photo is a dark gray or dark blue, I will get a washed out gray-blue. Even worse---often it will actually look like splotches of blue in the gray splattered around. Usually this is evident in clothing. I have found that either the ICM color setting or Photo>Dark setting improves it somewhat, but I still get some blue splotches. This is very disappointing, because I did not seem to get this in the old Deskjet 950 (which I used WITHOUT a photo cartridge!) Note: I also tried PhotoOptimizer Pro, but this has absolutely no effect on my photos.

2) In general, colors are always pale unless I go to Photo>Dark. Skin tones look ghostly without this setting. But I almost always get visible black dots in the shadow areas of the skin when I use this setting, and lose other details in dark areas. I have tried "vivid" setting, but the colors become too unrealistic.

Is this normal that I should consistently have all these problems? Could there be something else wrong? Can I correct these issues more easily with software? Incidentally:
* My pictures are taken with a Canon S45.
* I have been printing with Canon Photo Pro and Photo Plus Glossy
(practically identical results with these 2 papers).

Thanks! :roll: :roll:
ohreli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2003, 2:06 AM   #2

Why not call the Canon tech reps? They are easily reached and will spend 45 minutes or more with you, running tests, etc...of course, they will first of all tell you that the I850 is not a 'photo printer', but you should be getting a lot better results...either you're not selecting the right paper type or color adjustments or maybe your inks are old or your print head is screwy,,,try tech support, they are really there to help and easily reachable, I know, they walked me through a couple of issues...and if there is something wrong with your printer, they'll ship you the new parts for free...blessings, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote