Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 10, 2006, 11:12 AM   #1

Anyone know why my Cyan ink appears fuzzy when printing letters or numbers, and it's just the Cyan, I am using spongeless cartridges, with refillable ink. Thanks

I have run a few cleaning cycles, the nozzle printout looks ok
Bos-ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2006, 11:50 PM   #2

(1) The head may be laying on too much ink, so that it soaks too far into the paper and spreads.

(2) There may be a bit of dried ink buildup under the head.

(3) The ink viscosity may not be quite right (same result as (1.)

(4) The head may be failing (again see (1).

(5) There may be a problem with the printer driver or the program you're printing from.

(6) None of the above...
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 11:04 AM   #3

is it the same results on different types of paper??
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 8:01 AM   #4

yes but it's only the Cyan. I have tried photo paper & plain paper same results. Fuzzy blue ink.
Old May 15, 2006, 7:41 PM   #5

Try printing samples with differing shades of blue, plus standard and bold print and compare the results to the same sample in other colours.

I would have thought you'd also see it in colours that also include blue -- look at them with a strong magnifier and see if the blue dots are fuzzy as well.

Haven't thought of anything more I can add to my earlier suggestions on the problem's source.
Old May 17, 2006, 3:12 AM   #6

When I do a nozzle check, they are all there, but the cyan nozzle check ldoes not look as sharp as the rest, so I think the cyan nozzle is dirty or just worn, I have tried many cleaning cycles on it, but no improvement. Maybe injecting a cleaning fluid into the jet to clean it, can't hurt anything.
Old May 17, 2006, 9:04 PM   #7

Before putting anything into the head, I'd first try putting the cleaning fluid on the parking pad and leaving it overnight -- if that doesn't work, try a physical clean of the head's surface (lay a strip of lint-free cloth wet with cleaning fluid along the head path, move the carriage over it, pick up the ends and pull it to and fro.)

Putting anything other than ink inside the head assembly should be regarded as a last resort.

It's quite unlikely to be actual wear in the nozzles (each head has quite a few and they'll do a lot of work before the print quality drops off) -- more likely something either inside or sticking to one or more of them and causing the spray to deflect a bit.

Old May 18, 2006, 3:50 AM   #8

OK I took out the parking pad, washed it clean, rolled out the excess water, reinstalled it, added the cleaning fluid, and parked it. Will wait over night, and see if this helps. Thanks for all the help.
Old May 19, 2006, 4:16 AM   #9

I just installed a new Epson Cyan cartridge into the printer, and now the nozzle check looks just like new, and the ink is not fuzzy. Is it the ink? Maybe running this new cartridge through the system might help with the refillable ink.
Old May 20, 2006, 12:38 AM   #10

Looks like the ink viscosity is wrong -- you're not using one of the so-called 'universal' inks, by any chance?

I'd take it up with the supplier.