Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 15, 2006, 9:22 PM   #1

Does anyone here have a Canon Pixma printer and if so can you print on photo paper? Mine is still under warranty and it will not feed photo paper or card stock.
Thanks for any help you might have.

I got this pixma 5000 last summer and have used it very little for color [maybe 15 sheets]. I do print a few pages of text daily. I have not had a problem with any of the photo papers I used before, but it will not feed them through now. I was just getting prepared to print out a 100 pages of color for a scrapbook...wouldn't you know. I called Canon this morning and they said it did not make any sense that it would feed regular paper and not heavier photo paper. I have tried 4 different brands. Yesterday it would feed from the cassette holder, but no more. They did say they would send me a refurbished printer, because of course they are not still making the 5000. They told me that if I use anything but canon paper, it could void the waranty. They also told me it would only handle paper up to 28lb.I had an Epson printer for 8 years and it finally last summer would not align correctly. I will say the photos are nicer from the Canon, but if i have to buy only Canon paper, I would never buy another. I have used Red River paper for about 7 years and never had a problem before.The main question I have is this...if all the Pixma 5000 are the same, will it do any good to get the one they are going to send?

I am also posting this question to another forum in hopes of getting some answers soon...my daughter's birthday is June 2 and am wanting to print this scrapbook for her.
susyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2006, 7:10 AM   #2

Hi, I'm running an ip4000 and an ip8500 using Epson &Canon glossyand Ilford pearl photo papers as well as 80-100gsm plain paper, no problems with either printer. At a guess the 4000 has printed about 500 4"x6" and a few A4s (8.5"x11.39"), the 8500 has printed about 200 A4s and as many 5"x7". For photo paper I use the vertical feeder rather than the tray. Have you ran a full platen cleaning cycle?, does it feed at all from the vertical feeder?, favourite problem with the vertical feeder is a paper clip or some other object in the paper path. It does sound very strange that the bottom tray will feed plain paper but not photo.
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 7:53 AM   #3

Hi, thanks for replying. I have checked for any thing in the paper path, and there are no kids around either to drop any thing inside.

I am trying to use 2 of Red River's papers, + a Kodak and a Canon...all photo papers. And yes it will feed plain Xerox ink jet paper through the vertical feeder.

By platen cleaning cycle, do you mean where yoy hold the resume button in until the light flashes 3 times and then release? I have done this 4 times.
Old May 16, 2006, 7:50 PM   #4

Hi :-) weird problem!, The cleaning cycle is accessed through the maintenance menu, assuming you're running Windows XP if you go into Start/Settings/Printers & Faxes and right click the printer Icon, then click on Properties then click on the Maintenance tab you should see a list of options, the Platen clean is usually used if you're getting inky smudges on prints but it may help with the paper feed.
Old May 16, 2006, 8:29 PM   #5

I tried what you suggested and right now I can print on 2 of the photo papers I have. I still can not print on the matte...but at least it's better than nothing....thanks so much.

Now I don't know what to do about the refurbished printer Canon is sending out. It may be in worse shape than mine.
Old May 17, 2006, 3:05 AM   #6

Glad it helped, try doing it a couple of times and see if it improves further:-)

As for the refurbished printer, I'd say go for it!, I assume it will carry some sort of warranty?. Here in the UK we have an Ebay seller who sells only refurbished Canon products, these are refurbished by Canon and carry a full warranty, I've bought5 printers, 3 scannersand 2 camcorders from them, a couple of them had slightly dirty outer packaging but all of the actualitems were as new and worked perfectly.
Old May 17, 2006, 8:42 AM   #7

Thanks for all your help and for the info about the refurbished.
Old May 17, 2006, 1:49 PM   #8

phaedra1106 wrote:
Quote:
As for the refurbished printer, I'd say go for it!, I assume it will carry some sort of warranty?. Here in the UK we have an Ebay seller who sells only refurbished Canon products, these are refurbished by Canon and carry a full warranty, I've bought5 printers, 3 scannersand 2 camcorders from them, a couple of them had slightly dirty outer packaging but all of the actualitems were as new and worked perfectly.
Much as it pains me to add to the competition I already have to fight with over those printers.. yes, those are pretty good printers..

At least now I know who keeps pipping me at the post
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 3:14 PM   #9

It wasn't me, nobody saw me do it! :blah:

Yes, the Canon Outlet printers can be a bargain, I got my 4000 for £56 and my 8500 for about £130, this of course was before the chipped printers appeared :-)