Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 18, 2006, 12:26 PM   #1

I recently purchased a Canon Pixma ip5200. I am generally happy with the photosbut there are some picky issues:The weak points I see with the ip5200 printing are the way shadow areas in skin tones look a little posterized with black dots, and, although the colors look fairly accurate, you can obviously see the dithering used to acheivecertaincolors, andthey are a little dark and oversaturated.I can still trade the ip5200in for the Canon mp950 aio--- whichlooks like thesame printhead but withthe additional light cyan and magenta inks, and without much decrease in photo and text performance speed. (I am not considering the 6600 because of its slower text speed and quality).

It might be worth it to me to upgrade to the mp950 to minimize these issues (and the price for the mp950 has gone down to $325 on Amazon!) But, with all the accolades Canon has received for the photo quality it acheived with the 5-ink ip5200, is there really a difference between it and the 7-ink mp950?

Has anyone had experience withthe mp950 aioprinter to tell me if its worth the upgrade?

THANK YOU!:?

ohreli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2006, 12:10 PM   #2

Well, so far no one seems to have used the mp950. Alternatively,---has anyone else who has experience with the Pixma ip5200 seen tangibly better prints with other 6-ink printers (preferably not a large-format printer, and preferably a printer with decent text printing)? Thank you!
ohreli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 6:35 PM   #3

I'd ebay my 5200 and the get the 4200. Quality between the two is identical. Don't go for a 6 ink printer, not worth the hassle or price of ink. If you stick to the more common commerical models you can easily get good refill kits or CIS system.

Do not buy premium printers, you won't notice the difference to the naked eye.
sash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 6:38 PM   #4

Also you know you'll be paying for the mini TFT on the printer, not necessarily better print quality. As a standalone go for the mp950 but if you own a PC forget it.
sash is offline   Reply With Quote