Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 28, 2006, 4:01 PM   #11

Bos-ton wrote:
Quote:
Can I used the chips from the original Epson cartridges, and put them on refillable cartridges? This 340 for some reason keeps asking me if I want to use these non epson ink cartridges, any ideas on this? Thanks
You can do this but you would need a chip resetter that would be compatible with the R340 and I have no idea which resetter to suggest... I'm sure someone can help though if you start another thread on the topic and cast around on other printer forums...
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 4:08 PM   #12

Nisei wrote:
Quote:
I've just ordered an Epson R220 and I want some spongeless cartridges with it. I can get cartridges with auto reset chip and the normal chip which require a reset. The auto reset chip resets at 10% ink level. Does this mean they reset without getting a warning about low ink level?
Couple of things to bear in mind with Epson printer ink levels..

1. When an Epson cartridge reads as empty it will still contain between 15 and 30% of it's original ink level so you aren't going to start printing dry UNLESS you don't refill your cartridges to the full level.

2. You'll get a warning about low ink around 25% or so (I can't remember exactly so take that as a wild guess) so if the chip resets at 10% you'll be getting a low ink warning.

3. If I remember correctly, a chip will only autoreset between print jobs so if you run a BIG print job and the levels drop to 0% (according to the printer that is) before the job finishes then you'll find that most chips will reset easily enough if you press the ink button as if you were going to exchange the cartridge and then press it again as if you'd completed the exchange. This will, for some (not all) reset the chip to its reset value and continue printing... If not, you'll need to turn the printer off and on to get it to reset.. The trick to avoiding this sort of problem is to print smaller chunks of output.

Quote:
This would mean I'd have to monitor the levels very carefully to avoid getting air in the print head. Also, when I fill them without taking them out, would that mean it doesn't do a cleaning operation after each fill? This would save quite some ink but I'm a bit scared of overfilling the cartridge and spoil ink into the printer.
I personally, wouldn't recommend leaving your cartridges in when you need to refill them as you could just end up pouring ink straight out but that depends on your cartridges (Osage can provide more info on this stuff)..

Ultimately it's your call but hopefully the info above give you a better idea of what to expect...
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 7:56 PM   #13

I just tried the chip restter that I have, and it worked fine resetting the Epson chip back to full, I 'll pulled the chips off , and stick them in a small plastic back with the color printed on the bag, and save them. I think they sell for $1.95 each on M.I.S.. Thanks for the help
Bos-ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 8:04 PM   #14

I was told that when the unit is printing it's a vacuum that sprays the ink on the paper, so I am thinking that when filling the cartridge, ink shouldn't come out. I did a little experiment, I took a bottom filler with a syringe attched to it, and the syringe was half way back, and attached it to the bottom of the cartridge, and pulled the plug out, and I injected ink into the cartridge, no ink went into the syringe, so I guess that it does take a vacuum to draw the ink out. I will try it on my old R300, and see if it leaks out when filling,. Thanks for the help
Old May 29, 2006, 8:08 PM   #15

Bos-ton

I think you slightly misunderstood -- the ink isdrawn from the cartridge to the print head under a slight vacuum, but it's still sprayed on the paper under pressure.

The piezo head is in fact a form of high-speed pump that draws from one side (hence the supply-side vacuum, maintained on the OEM carts by a spring-loaded non-return valve on the breather) and pushes on the other (delivery pressure.)

That you couldn't withdraw ink from the cartridge is lquite likely because you didn't push the nozzle in far enough to lift the (also spring-loaded) non-return valve, which automatically closes when you take the cartridge off the ink delivery spike (that's why you can swap carts without the ink leaking out) -- it takes a fairly firm push to get the nozzle into the 'O' rings, and if you don't push it right home it will just suck uselessly against the closed valve.

My current CIS came with a couple of tapered Luer attachments that match the printer's ink delivery spikes and make this easier to do.

Or maybe the cart was empty?
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 8:43 PM   #16

I wasn't trying to withdraw ink into the bottom filler, I was just testing to see if ink would drip into the syringe, the bottom filler pushes up on the little stop valve in the cartridge to open up the ink, when I was injecting ink into the cartrdige with the bottom stop valve opened, no ink dripped out, which I thought it would since I had the rubber plug off the top to refill. I have since then tried refilling with the cartridge in my R300, I did not run into any problems, I injected 13 CC of ink, of course you have to go slow, I also used a very small needle in dia, to refill. Thank you for all the help, the 2 printers are working great, I am also glad I installed the waste tank on the new R340, before I started to use it, there was alot of ink in the bottom of my old R300, which was from before I saw the post about the waste tank in here. Thanks again.