Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 19, 2006, 11:28 AM   #1

Is it wise to refill these cartridges while still in the printer? I have seen where they have to just pull the little plug out and refill, would the ink drip out once the plug is pulled on the top, of course this would be with auto-resetting chips. Thanks
Bos-ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2006, 7:56 PM   #2

Bos-ton wrote:
Quote:
Is it wise to refill these cartridges while still in the printer? I have seen where they have to just pull the little plug out and refill, would the ink drip out once the plug is pulled on the top, of course this would be with auto-resetting chips. Thanks
I wouldn't recommend it with any cartridge to be honest..

The problem is that you can create a free flow because instead of air being pushed out of the cartridge, you end up pushing out ink through the open nozzles.

But then, I'm a CIS type anyways so an experienced refiller may well have a few tips that work..
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 12:45 AM   #3

Most refillables I've seen have a vent to prevent this happening - - the real risk is that you'll fill them too fast and get a backflow that's hard to clean up and may even short and burn out one or more cartridge chips.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 5:44 AM   #4

Thanks for the tips, can you push down to hard on the cartridge to insert it, reason I ask is that if you leave the cartridge in to refill it, you have to push down on the little plug that seals the refill hole, it's not much pressure. I have refilled them while in the printer on my R300, and was thinking of doing the same thing in my R340. I did add the waste tank as soon as I bought it, but I am now concern that if I keep doing a cartridge purge, and cleaning cycles the printer is going to tell me Service Required, and I have not found another program to reset the waste counter. It happened to my R300, before I knew about the SSC program, Epson told me to send it back, but with all the ink that was in the bottom of the printer, they might of voided my warranty., so I found the SSC, what a life saver that was, I was pissed that Epson locked up my printer like that. Well thanks again
Old May 20, 2006, 10:00 PM   #5

You're unlikely to have to push down hard enough to do any damage -- the plastic under the cartridges is pretty solid.
Old May 22, 2006, 9:17 PM   #6

There is a new type of refillable cartridge that allows you to put ink into the cartridge without removing the cartridge from the printer. The cartridge comes with auto reset chips and you refill by inserting a syringe into the refill hole and inject ink into the cartridge. All this done without taking the cartridge out of the printer.

This cartridge hastwo refill holes, itis very easy to refill. There are two plugs on top. I cut off the bottom part of the large plug andplug both holes.In the middle of the large plug, there is a pin hole for vent. This works out well asinks will not evaporate easily and vent out from the tiny pin hole. It also create a slight low pressure and help control flow in addition to the flow control alreadybuilt in.

I perfer to use a bulkink system because I do not have torefill the cartridge. I have to watch therefillable cartridgeand don't want the pigment to dry inthe printer nozzle when the ink cartridge is empty. ButI think the refillable cartridge works just fine.

CK.SanFrancisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 6:01 AM   #7

I am thinking about going to the CFS system also, but I really don't print that often, to justify the cost of the system. Thanks for the reply, my spongeless cartridges also have 2 holes, but 1 is the vent hole, I have been filling while the cartridge is in the printer, was just wondering that when I pull the refill plug, does the ink leak through the nozzles, when the printer is printing isn't the ink forced out through the nozzles under pressure, so that it would take some pressure to force the ink out, and not just drip out.

Old May 23, 2006, 6:32 AM   #8

No, the ink is actually pulled through by the print head as required (this is what maintains the flow from a CIS, which must use sealed cartridges to provide a solid column of liquid from tanks to print head (many folk think they work by syphon -- they don't) -- here the air vent is in the tank instead of in the cartridge) -- the plug in the fill hole is there mostly to prevent splash from any surges, while the vent allows air in to replace the ink as it's pulled out.

OEM cartridges and some refillables have a non-return valve in the air vent to create a slight vacuum, just in case there might be leakage through a head.
Old May 27, 2006, 8:14 AM   #9

I've just ordered an Epson R220 and I want some spongeless cartridges with it. I can get cartridges with auto reset chip and the normal chip which require a reset. The auto reset chip resets at 10% ink level. Does this mean they reset without getting a warning about low ink level? This would mean I'd have to monitor the levels very carefully to avoid getting air in the print head. Also, when I fill them without taking them out, would that mean it doesn't do a cleaning operation after each fill? This would save quite some ink but I'm a bit scared of overfilling the cartridge and spoil ink into the printer.
Nisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 7:49 PM   #10

Can I used the chips from the original Epson cartridges, and put them on refillable cartridges? This 340 for some reason keeps asking me if I want to use these non epson ink cartridges, any ideas on this? Thanks