Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 20, 2006, 1:36 AM   #1

My Epson R310 has a CIS system that resets to 100%. One time I had a disc tray in and ready to print when one of the chips reset to 100%. This started a clean cycle and the tray was quickly drawn in ad there were horrible scraping sounds. Now sometimes the tray gets drawn in beyond the black spring loaded guides which snap shut behind it. I have found that if I hold these guides open when it goes in too far, it will come out again, try again and sort itself out. Is there some way I can clean any sensors or reflectors inside the printer to remedy this...it's incredibly irritating. I was also wondering if nyone knew where to get a paper path cleaning system in Melbourne Australia as the rollers have given up on my coated media. I've set up the waste ink tank mod already....thanks Idle.

Could a mod plase edit the title spelling. Thanks.
DVDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2006, 10:18 PM   #2

Mine has done the same thing a couple of times -- the scraping sound is the platen drive gears jumping when the thing jams.

As a rule it's only the last gear in the chain, which has no effect on the feed timing and the gear seems tough enough not to be easily damaged.

When the tray goes in too far I just pull it the rest of the way through, feed it in again and clear the error message.

As to the paper feed problem, alcohol might work, or maybe even water if you're careful -- there used to be sticky sheets available to clean the paper path, but I've not seen them around for a while.

It's most often caused by a build-up of the paper coating on the feed rollers -- sometimes by bits of paper fibre accumulating in the works.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 3:37 AM   #3

In this instance the scraping sound appeared to be the print head hitting the disc tray...it's left a line on it. The tray feeding makes normal noises but now about 50% of the time it doesn't stop and goes right in. It thought maybe it's a reflector or sensor soiled?
Old May 23, 2006, 7:09 AM   #4

It could be -- the tray positioning is via the four reflectors around the CD plus, I suppose, a revolution counter on the platen.

Make sure none of them has any detritus on it.

Mine has gone right through several times, I really don't know why -- but more frequently it just jams.

It can also help to clean the underside of the tray (I use alcohol) -- the drive isn't as positive as it might be and slippage can give you problems.

I've also had the carriage jam on the CD tray when the printer decides a cartridge is empty -- this is something only Epson could fix (one of the many firmware bugs) but of course they never will.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 4:51 AM   #5

This is weird....I thought that if it was taking the tray in too far using the "counting roller revolutiion" theory, that I'd try leaving the tray an inch or so further out than the true alignment marks. It works! I'm still sending it in for warranty service though.