Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 21, 2006, 1:08 AM   #1

Hi there.

I have been googling away trying to find out a solution to my problem and unfortunately a lot of the material on this forum and others refers to setting up US versions to be able to accept CD printing in the IP5000.

My problem is a little different. I purchased an Australian version (and I live in Australia) which will sometimes (maybe 1 out of 20 attempts) print onto the CD and I continuously get the error message "The CD-R tray is not inserted or a printable disc is not placed on the CD-R Tray.
Insert the CD-R tray with a printable disc in the Inner Cover and then press the RESUME button.
Printing will then restart."

I believe everything is set up correctly and that I am feeding the tray correctly.

I am about 5 minutes away from smashing my printer into 1000 pieces so if someone could help me out it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

piupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2006, 5:05 AM   #2

Are you waiting until your told to put the tray into the printer ?

If you put it into the tray to soon then it will not work.
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 5:48 AM   #3

Yeah, I wait but still don't have any luck.
Old May 23, 2006, 7:29 AM   #4

Don't know anything about your specific printer, but your description sounds like a sensor problem.

Most such devices these days use an LED rather than a mechanical switch -- try giving the tray a clean with alcohol on a clean cloth, also try to find any sensors and receptors and wipe them over (not with alcohol -- sometimes it will damage a cheap plastic lens.)

There might also be a light source or receptor not properly aligned.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 8:43 AM   #5

Thanks for your help but I gave that a go and still no luck. I can't find any useful info on the canon website so I might try calling them tomorrow.

One interesting thing I noticed is that there is a white plastic part with rollers that I believe lifts up to let the tray in (when it is working properly) but it appears that this is where the tray is stopping and that this part is not lifting up. Now, whether that is a result of a mechanical problem or something else I am not sure ?

Regards

Chris

Old May 23, 2006, 12:45 PM   #6

piupster wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for your help but I gave that a go and still no luck. I can't find any useful info on the canon website so I might try calling them tomorrow.

One interesting thing I noticed is that there is a white plastic part with rollers that I believe lifts up to let the tray in (when it is working properly) but it appears that this is where the tray is stopping and that this part is not lifting up. Now, whether that is a result of a mechanical problem or something else I am not sure ?

Regards

Chris

Did you see this for your self, or does it only "seem" like that's where the tray is being blocked?

There are arrows on the CD tray denoting where to place it, though you "can" push it in further. If you push it in further the tray touches those white rollers. This would increase the likelyhood of a misfeed. best to verify this with the lid open and the lid switch depressed (rear right).

Also suspect are warn rollers or a warn tray. Trays are cheap enough for those in areas where this feature is supported. If under warranty you might want to talk to canon support. If the tray is warn the reflectors might be a tad non-reflective, or the soft rollers to insert the tray before the rear white rollers might be the issue. You can always try applying gental pressure to the tray while it's in it's insert sequence if this is the issue.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 7:32 AM   #7

Hello Zak,

I did what you suggested and tricked the printer into thinking that the top cover was closed by pressing in the button and I can see that the white section with rollers does not lift up.

The tray reflectors look ok but I wish i had a new one to test it out. Once again I appear to be stuck without many options to progress. I logged a call with Canon today.

Thanks for your assistance. Any other ideas ?

Cheers

Chris
Old May 24, 2006, 2:10 PM   #8

piupster wrote:
Quote:
Hello Zak,

I did what you suggested and tricked the printer into thinking that the top cover was closed by pressing in the button and I can see that the white section with rollers does not lift up.

The tray reflectors look ok but I wish i had a new one to test it out. Once again I appear to be stuck without many options to progress. I logged a call with Canon today.

Thanks for your assistance. Any other ideas ?

Cheers

Chris
The rear rollers should lift regardless of the tray condition, the sensors don't come into play until such time as the tray is sucked into the printer and rolls fore and aft. We can pretty much toss the tray out as being likely for the fault.

For laughs you can go into service mode and peform a cd-r test print, if you further wanted to isolate the fault, elimate the drivers or software from being suspect.

http://pixma-faq.periastron.com/7.html

This is an old page I made to help users align their CD trays but you can follow the instruction block and oberve the printing process. You can repeat pressing "[RESUME] 7 times then click [POWER]" and print the alignment many times.

If you discover it works just fine in this mode but not printing from the PC then we are pretty certain it's a software problem. You can troubleshoot this by reinstalling the drivers, or better yet try one of the various other software packages available for this printer.
http://pixma-faq.periastron.com/8.html

If the rollers fail to lift here, we are pretty positive the printer is at fault. This is the point where you talk with canon about the warranty, even if you are slightly beyond the warranty period sometimes they will still honor it. I don't know the inner workings of this printer that well so I couldn't begin to troubleshoot issues with the "sheet feed" or "platen" units.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote