Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 21, 2006, 1:58 PM   #1

I have a CIS from JLWsales. And I have a Epson R200 As im writting this im trying to figure out a solution to a problem im having. All of my ink tube lines prime properly except the magenta. There seems to be no pressure. I can deattach the tube and no ink flows out. And it doesnt prime at all. Theres about 4 inch's of just clear tubing for the magenta line. So im thinking theres a clog or a leak where its not getting pressure. Is there any chance it could be a problem in the carriage unit not charging for just that specific line?

any help would be appreciated. I emailed JLW but did not recieve a response yet.

Thanks guys. Me and my dad were thinking of taking some compressed air and blowing it through the tube to remove any possible clogs. but can it reprime the whole way down to the inkwells?
Kenjii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2006, 2:17 PM   #2

Kenjii wrote:
Quote:
I have a CIS from JLWsales. As im writting this im trying to figure out a solution to a problem im having. All of my ink tube lines prime properly except the magenta. There seems to be no pressure. I can deattach the tube and no ink flows out. And it doesnt prime at all. Theres about 4 inch's of just clear tubing for the magenta line. So im thinking theres a clog or a leak where its not getting pressure. Is there any chance it could be a problem in the carriage unit not charging for just that specific line?

any help would be appreciated. I emailed JLW but did not recieve a response yet.

Thanks guys. Me and my dad were thinking of taking some compressed air and blowing it through the tube to remove any possible clogs. but can it reprime the whole way down to the inkwells?
My first question has to be whether or not you have a vaccum pump assembly available at all... something like this:

-

If you do then that would make life a lot easier as it'll help determine if you have a leak at some point in the system.

Of course the JWL system uses a system of regulated pressure so it could simply be that there's something stopping the Magenta from actually leaving the reservoir, possibly a blocked outlet hole or something similar.

Your best bet is going to be JWL themselves in this instance and I'd be interested to hear how they suggest you resolve it..

Best of luck...
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 2:24 PM   #3

the system looks like this :

http://cgi.ebay.com/R200-R300-R320-R...QQcmdZViewItem

although mine is grade dye ink.

I havnt recieved a pm from him yet i msged him about it yesturday. My dad and i were thinking about putting compressed air into the end that is near the cartridge. since i can detach it and no ink flows out...we were gonna use compressed air to force the ink in the opposite direction to try to resolve any clog there could be. But could it prime from the base of the inkwells the whole way to the cartridges?

Im not sure. I have alot of ink left and i dont want to not be able to use it up
Old May 22, 2006, 2:25 PM   #4

well i fixed any leaks that i thought i may have had on the magenta line. but no luck. still isnt priming. and JLW hasnt gotten back to me yet
Old May 22, 2006, 3:07 PM   #5

im thinking of cutting the magenta line to where the air stops and see if the pressure is only lost in that area
Old May 23, 2006, 3:09 AM   #6

Kenjii wrote:
Quote:
im thinking of cutting the magenta line to where the air stops and see if the pressure is only lost in that area
I wouldn't recommend that unless you have a reasonable amount of spare tubing..

It's also occured to me that the problem may be that the magenta cartridge may actually have glue occluding the tubes inlet or there's a bend in the magenta tubing that's stopping ink flow and causing the problem.

It's a bit tricky really to be able to help remotely..

I'd keep pursuing JWL and I'd hint (not so subtly) that you're reporting your experience here and on other forums..
Old May 23, 2006, 6:07 AM   #7

The only really effective way to prime an empty CIS cartridge is by suction from the ink outlet -- compressed air into the tank might push some ink through but won't remove all the air inside the cartridge (wll be very messy, too...), and priming via the printer's own pump might eventually work but will waste a great deal of ink from the other carts.

Remember that you'll have to open the valve inside the ink outlet before applying air, too, otherwise you'll only compress the air inside the cartridge, maybe even burst it -- do NOT try compressed air with the cartridge in position as the pressure is likely to wreck the print head (it's designed to work with a solid column of liquid -- air both stops it working and does it no great and lasting good...)

Websnail's suggestion that the fitting at one end or the other may be blocked is a good one, although the JLW systems are delivered full, so it must have worked when first assembled.

What you could perhaps try is to remove the offending cartridge, put some of the correct colour ink into a hypodermic (minus needle, of course), insert it into the cartridge outlet (must go in far enough to lift the valve and for the nozzle to seal against the 'O' ring) and see if you can gently push ink back into the tank -- don't push very hard, as you could easily split the cartridge with the pressure you can apply with one of those things.

Incidentally, there shouldn't be pressure in a CIS system -- they work on a quite small vacuum that draws ink through as it's pulled out by the print head.

This is why the CIS tanks should be positioned at about the level of the bottom of the printer -- too high and you'll set up a syphon and have a flood, too low and the vacuum won't overcome the weight of the vertical column and you'll get no flow.

I note you've detached the tube at the cartridge end -- do make sure you've an airtight seal when you re-connect it (it's also not unknown for there to be an air leak where the fitting goes into the cartridge, which won't affect the initial fill, but will break the tiny vacuum that exists in normal service, so the cart will eventually run dry -- try a little hot glue or rubber cement around it -- anything quick setting and airtight.)
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 5:56 PM   #8

Heres what i did . Dont know if it is the professional way of doing so :

So the 4 inch's of air near the cartridge end. i took off the end attached to the cartridge. I shoved in my compressed air with the end going inside the tube. I then removed the filler cup located on the small chamber to have a place for the air to escape to. The compressed air i used bearly had any left which was perfect for this.

I then lightly pressed on it..it forced all the ink in the tube back into the chamber and i had a little spill that went outside the small chamber where the opening was.

Then while keeping the cap off the small chamber i cleaned out the end of the tube that attach's to the cartridge. I then lightly sucked on the end of the tube and eventually got the ink to go back to near the end of the tube then i put the refill cup back on to reduce the air escaping. I used a clip to clip it off.. reattached it to the cartridge and it primed properly now.

my guess is i had a clog in the tube and it might return in the future. I did a nozzle check and it was mostly black and blueish...but after i did a clean cycle it turned to magenta with only a few spots missing. so im going to let it sit for a few hours

Thanks all for your help ill keep you updated if this problem continues. I hope my way of fixing my issue can help others if similar problems occur.
Old May 24, 2006, 5:59 PM   #9

also on the base of the printer what MIGHT have been my problem (not sure if it was this or a clog). The tube that connects to the large ink chamber the magenta line wasnt really hot glued securely and i could pull the tubing off and some ink would come out. So i secured that and put more glue around the side (like the other tubes were properly done) and let it dry to create a secure connection with no air gaps.
Old May 26, 2006, 4:21 AM   #10

Kenjii wrote:
Quote:
also on the base of the printer what MIGHT have been my problem (not sure if it was this or a clog). The tube that connects to the large ink chamber the magenta line wasnt really hot glued securely and i could pull the tubing off and some ink would come out. So i secured that and put more glue around the side (like the other tubes were properly done) and let it dry to create a secure connection with no air gaps.
From bitter experience I no longer trust hot glue to handle the securing and more importantly the sealing of fittings for CIS's.. My initial foray into building my own kits involved various different glue types to see which worked and in the end it was epoxy resin that won out (cure time 10 - 15 minutes works best).

Add to that, there's no way a tube should be relying on hot glue to secure it at all because tubing is by its very nature flexible and hotglue is brittle with very little strength so it'll just break off.

Then you have the fact that to really secure a tubing to the cartridge or reservoir you tend to get best results with a barbed fitting that can be glued to whichever container (reservoir/cartridge/etc) properly and which will hold the tubing securely (thanks to the barb) whilst ensuring a good seal for the whole CIS system.

I could rant for ages on the subject but anyway, it does indeed sound like you've resolved the problem and I'd hazzard a guess that you're right as to the cause.. Congrats