Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 24, 2006, 3:37 AM   #1

Dear users.

I am monitoring the IP4200 debate for few months now.

My question is this:

1. Is it possible to print with IP4200 with only black ink in grayscale mode (if others are empty)? Are there any tips and tricks for that for example if you only want to print word documents without a color?

2. And another question. There were few rumours that on the market soon there will be compatible chipped inks from the 3rd party for IP4200 and other chiped printers? Any updates on that and is there any possibility in the future that we will have compatible inks for IP4200 that will put the cost in the normal arena.
Printolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2006, 4:35 AM   #2

Printolino wrote:
Quote:
1. Is it possible to print with IP4200 with only black ink in grayscale mode (if others are empty)? Are there any tips and tricks for that for example if you only want to print word documents without a color?
I don't think it's possible to be honest.. No matter what you do you'll need colour cartridges in the printer and the printer will still run cleaning cycles every once in a while..

Plus greyscale printing uses the colour inks anyway (although I have a niggling feeling someone may know of a possible PGI-5 black only way).

Edit: Re-read the question again and I notice you've asked this all over the place but hey ..

Anyways, the bit I missed out was that you would need to have all cartridges reading as having some ink in them. If the printer has an empty cartridge (and it seems to detect them either by the chip and/or the prism) it will refuse to print. This is actually a safety measure as the printer could burn out the printhead if there was insufficient ink available, as the ink is used as a coolant during the printing process.

Quote:
2. And another question. There were few rumours that on the market soon there will be compatible chipped inks from the 3rd party for IP4200 and other chiped printers? Any updates on that and is there any possibility in the future that we will have compatible inks for IP4200 that will put the cost in the normal arena.
I spoke to my contact in Holland yesterday and he noted that there's are two companies he knows of that are still trying to figure this out.. No ETA that I remember and as far as I understand it the problem most others in the know are discussing is the economic feasability of creating the chips small enough and without breaking patents, etc..

In all honesty the best way to get reasonable cost printing out of the new chipped versions is to learn to refill, take note of some of the good ink suppliers being recommended and go that route... Granted it means the whole "warning, warranty in jeopardy" route but the cost of cartridges is close to a new printer anyway so it's hardly worth paying for a new set of carts when you can get a whole new printer (with printhead for £10 or $20 more).
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote