Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 24, 2006, 5:12 AM   #1

Is it possible to filter ink in an Epson modded waste tank to reuse in the black tank? I don't suppose coffee cup filters would be appropriate?
DVDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2006, 9:40 AM   #2

DVDude wrote:
Quote:
Is it possible to filter ink in an Epson modded waste tank to reuse in the black tank? I don't suppose coffee cup filters would be appropriate?
EDIT: belatedly realised that this wasn't asking if the black ink could be seperated out in the waste ink tank.. So, excuse the homer moment.

For what its worth, I've reused some waste ink in a 30% waste -> 70% pure black in a CIS and seen no problems.. It's not going to give you a completely black colour obviously but near as dammit and I didn't experience any clogging issues.. but I guess a filter would be a good plan if there's a few issues with crud getting in there somehow.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 12:06 PM   #3

I would think a coffee filter would make the ink useable. But it is possible something large enough to clog the heads could get through.

Unless you have a very old printer, the chip in Epson cartridges will shut down the printer and the cartridge is unusable after it calculates there is just a little ink left in the cartridge.

If you are capable of filling the cartridge and resetting the chip if necessary, you can buy ink to put in the cartridge. Black pigmented ink from a reliable source that will send ink made for Epsons works well. You probably have 10c worth of ink after you filter it based on aftermarket refill ink costs. I wouldn't take the chance.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 12:50 AM   #4

Using the CIS on an Epson r300, the waste ink tank will catch quite a lot of ink. The ink is a mix of all 6 colors, but looks black. I would think that a ratio of 20-30% waste ink mixed with virgin black ink shouldbe ok. Unless the waste tank has been sitting formore than a month it probably shouldn't have 'crud' in it, should it?

I can't imagine using this printer without the bulk ink set-up. Those little carts are expensive. So far I am really impressed with the photo print quality.
ARC111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 1:38 AM   #5

DVDude wrote:
Quote:
In the olden days I would reuse my waste toner off my panasonic kx4450i in a pinch. quality suffered, but aside from that no problems.

Can you do it? Sure! Is it a good idea? Probally not the best one. Assuming 5760 dpi, and assuming 25,400 microns this works out to be 4.41 microns. Coffee filters I believe have a width of about 20 microns, or lab filter paper somewhere in the 5 micron class. Double layered cheesecloth I believe is in the 1-2 micron class. I don't know the actual tolerance of head, these are just the numbers they advertise.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote