Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 26, 2006, 6:42 AM   #1

OK, so I bought myself a new printer (Canon ip4200) after finally putting my fist through the case of my old Epson photo stylus.. well, I had a lot of printing to do, and it hadit comingfor quite a while

Anyway, quick look on the PC World website had me eyeing-up the Canon. And at only £62 it looked even more attractive. As I'm only 15 mins away from our local branch, I popped out and bought it.A couple of days later, I was looking at the till receipt and it said £84.. I'd been a bit "stressed" when I bought it, and hadn't noticed the price difference.

I emailed their customer services looking for a refund and got my (completely predictable) reply about web prices being different from store prices.

The whole experience has leftannoyed and with a couple of questions..

If PC World want to save overheads and do away with their stores, why advertise themon telly, showing someone who had seen a laptop on their site, but visiting the store to see how heavy it was before buying it??

I could have bought the exact same printer online for £22 less (including free carriage). Someone would have had to find it, package it up, address it etc. I drove to the store myself (cost petrol & time), selected the printer myself, carried it to the checkout and then drove it home. How did this cost them extra profit? Or do they expect me to go to the store, see something I fancy and then go home to order it online???? JUst doesn't make any sense?! :evil:

Nice printer. Though I get the feeling it may develop a fault and need to go back, once the ink's on the way out

Sorry for ranting.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2006, 7:42 AM   #2

If you want to buy from PC World at web prices use the Collect At Store option. Basically you order it on the web and then collect and payat your branch within 24 hours. You then get it at the web price. I always check the web price before buying anything instore.
cestrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 9:34 AM   #3

speedy wrote:
Quote:
I could have bought the exact same printer online for £22 less (including free carriage). Someone would have had to find it, package it up, address it etc. I drove to the store myself (cost petrol & time), selected the printer myself, carried it to the checkout and then drove it home. How did this cost them extra profit? Or do they expect me to go to the store, see something I fancy and then go home to order it online???? JUst doesn't make any sense?! :evil:

Sorry for ranting.
It makes perfect sense. Website typicaly have the best prices as users can shop around till their hearts content, but stores take time for you to pop from one to another. It's always best to print hard copy if you are going to buy something from a store, or as someone else pointed out, pick the pickup at store option. It seems somewhat dishonest, but having two catalogs and two different prices for the same item isn't an unusual business practice. In the states I noticed this with "best buy", the web prices were much cheeper but they would honor the web price if you bought in hard copy. At first I thought it was cheaper to have Office Depot deliver goods till I found out they accepted web coupons at the register.

As rants go, it's a worthy one and worth taking the time to complain to the proper authorities. After all, they offer store pickup so clearly the price is good at the store, just so long as you order on the web. I know one catalog company got into trouble having several catalogs with several different prices based on what you filled out as your income... i.e. the more you made the lower the prices where.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 10:04 AM   #4

had a similar experiance when was after an epson r200 the price instore was more than online so i had a word with a "sales" person who said take it to the till tell them the price u seen it for and they will match it, and they did. the option of ordering online and picking up instore wasnt available then.
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 2:39 PM   #5

OK - I get that web prices are cheaper than store prices.

Still don't get how this helps a multi-national chain with hundreds / thousands of stores?? Why not just close the stores down & sell exlclusively on the internet??

All they've done with me is annoy me to the point of never using them again. Probably.
Old May 26, 2006, 7:52 PM   #6

speedy wrote:
Quote:
OK - I get that web prices are cheaper than store prices.

Still don't get how this helps a multi-national chain with hundreds / thousands of stores?? Why not just close the stores down & sell exlclusively on the internet??

All they've done with me is annoy me to the point of never using them again. Probably.
It gets people to order on the web and pickup in the store. Imagine a sales person not having to repeat the same specifications over and over again to people when they can just spell it out in black and white. A web order is a sale, but a joe going into a store is a potential customer. You have to actually "talk" with the customer, "qualify" a customer, and sell them on an idea that this product is worth buying. Futher they can keep the stuff offsite and just bring it in on demand, either the next hour or the next day. And better yet, they can spam your inbox with other offers as well.

Now normally I would complain about the fact it's sometimes not disclosed when the store price is higher, but I just checked the PC world website and they make it clear the price listed is a Web Exclusive and list the store price below it.
iP4200
Web Exclusive Price inc VAT
£62.69
In-store Price £74.99

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 2:37 AM   #7

"In-store Price £74.99"

Aaarrrggghhh! They've just knocked another £10 off the price I paid!! :roll:

Thanks for your explanation. I see the theory now. Sort of. I guess it's just "act in haste, repent at leisure" ...

"And better yet, they can spam your inbox with other offers as well. "
Yeah, the guy at the checkout wouldn't let me leave until I'd given them my address details. He did offer an opt-out of future "communications" so we'll see...

OK - Ranting over. Thanks for your thoughts. Onwards & upwards. No doubt be back in touch if I run into bother re-filling the carts.

Speedy