Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 31, 2006, 11:20 AM   #1

I have read everything I can find in this forum [I think] about resetting the waste counter.* I down loaded the ssc utillity that is supposed to do this but if I had to guess... it looks like most of the functions are not for the R200.* I have an after market CIS installed with waste ink container.* I was hoping that this software would reset all the ink carts because everytime one cart gets low it resets and goes through a purge which wastes ink.* I wish I could just rest them all together so there would not be so many resets.* The CIS waits until it is about 10 or 15% and then resets.* I thought it was supposed to only go to 99% preventing the reset but obviously not.* If anyone has some pointers and good advice for me... I am all ears. * *Maybe there are other chips available?* Is there other software out there?thanks,* Glenn
gwoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2006, 12:35 PM   #2

I just saw that I am supposed to "right click" on the icon in the start bar so I will try that tonight to see if there are functions that I did not see.* But still, What is the best CIS with the best auto resetting chips?
Old May 31, 2006, 8:16 PM   #3

The SSC utility cannot directly reset Epson chipped cartridges (at least, that's what the website says -- they should know...)

To access the SSC utility's functions, you do right-click, as you've probably discovered by now.

As to the best CIS and chips, I don't think anyone really knows -- there are several (mostly Chinese ) manufacturers of both carts and chips, all different, all claiming to be the best and no CIS assembler or reseller I've had contact with will tell you which is which -- very likely they don't know either.

Just another minefield, full of traps for the unwary (and often catching the wary as well...)
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 4:54 AM   #4

Idle wrote:
Quote:
As to the best CIS and chips, I don't think anyone really knows -- there are several (mostly Chinese ) manufacturers of both carts and chips, all different, all claiming to be the best and no CIS assembler or reseller I've had contact with will tell you which is which -- very likely they don't know either.

Just another minefield, full of traps for the unwary (and often catching the wary as well...)
Which is part of the reason I started collecting info on that topic...

As it goes I can't give a definitive answer despite a lot of time spent on the topic... What I can note though is that you need to be aware of the following:

1. Support is absolutely essential, so find out in advance what support exists for any one kit/manufacturer.

2. Consider the old adage "pay peanuts, get monkeys".

3. Forget about ink republic... I've spent considerable time reviewing their kit on various printers and lately discovered that they were (and may still be) using tubing that is totally inappropriate for printer ink. That and it's overly expensive, difficult to install and can result in totally trashing a printer over time... The list is long and I've posted on them quite a bit of late (so search away)

4. My recommendation would be to go with an MIS kit because the inks are good, the kit lasts, it's not too expensive and the supporting documentation is detailed. Plus their tech support is comprehensive to the point that you can pick up the phone for help. Their website is a bit of a mess though and needs an update to bring it all together properly.

As a rule though you should take a massive pinch of salt with any "happy customer" reports and look for people who've been around the block with more than just CIS's and who review their opinion over time.. There's waaaay too many people who just big up their own product like it's better than winning the lottery..

Hope that helps
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:23 AM   #5

well for what its worth... I'll tell you my short experience so far. Hope I am not breaking the rules here...

My first and second CIS are from ebay and the same seller. The first unit I installed with a small amount of air bubbles in the tubes and could not get it to print right so I pulled it out and followed the directions... and got all the air out and then it worked fine. The second unit I got the air out first [they came charged] and it worked right from the start. But neither of them perfectly matched each other in tonal color. One was slightly more yellow. I discovered that the unit heavier in yellow was deffective. They have a small tube inside the main tank that goes from the top vent to the bottom of the tank to... I guess... to put some negative presure on the system so as not to bleed or drip. that tube was off its nipple. Hesent me a replacement but have not had time to make the change in main tanks. Both units claim to have chips that reset to 99% so as not to do a purge but each tank that gets low causes a waste of ink when it resets to full. I will see if the Ink Freezer helps.

These 2 units are on R200's.I have a third unit ordered for the new R220 I bought recently. This is a different make and from a seller on ebay by the call letters of: inkexpress4u and the 2 CIS' I got for the R200's came from: WHOLESALE INKThe only drawback I see at the moment with the units from wholesale ink is that you have to lay the units on their side to fill with ink. But first you have to take the rubber plug that you first pulled off the vents... you have to put them back in the vents and then lay do wn and then pull rubber plugs on the filler openings.

Out of all the generic carts I have used... i had some times where an ink drop would get on the rollers and then on DVD's but after printing over a 1000 DVD's with the CIS I have had no drips. So, that is it. I will post back when the new unit is installed in the R200.

Glenn