Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 2, 2003, 5:42 PM   #1

Default Best sub $200 printer

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to the photography hobby.I was given a Fuji S602Z for my birthday from my wife.Now after sometime we are looking to buy a printer.What I am interested in is photo printing only.I have another old printer that gets the job done for other things like text documents and such.

Can anyone recommend a good printer that costs under $200 or close.My main concern is quality of the prints.Time it takes to print isn't nearly as big an issue with me and neither is having a bunch of features.I just basically want to take pictures and then be able to print out something that looks as good as a real photo if its possible.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Ernie
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2003, 10:33 PM   #2

Ernie,

I have the Canon i950 which produces prints that are beyond belief. You can not tell the difference between real photos and your prints. The cost is over $200 but not much, $249 at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...B/mjbdesign-20

If that is too much to spend the Canon i850 which goes for $149 is almost as good.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...X/mjbdesign-20

I actually have two printers the Epson 2200 and the Canon i950. The epson is about $700 and the i950 is right there with it with quality.

Good luck,

Mike
mrtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2003, 1:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtoad
Ernie,

I actually have two printers the Epson 2200 and the Canon i950. The epson is about $700 and the i950 is right there with it with quality.

Good luck,

Mike
But what about color Gamut.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2003, 5:40 PM   #4

Hey thanks for the advise guys but I settled on a HP 7350.Any opinions on that particular printer?The reviews I read were good but honestly so far I'm not gettng very impressive results but maybe I have it setup incorrectly.

Ernie
Old May 3, 2003, 7:23 PM   #5

One thing to watch out for with the HP using the Premium Plus paper. If it gets wet at all, the ink will come up off of the paper. With my Canon on the Photo Paper Pro, this is not a problem.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2003, 1:28 AM   #6

Well after a few weeks of use I have now come to the conclusion that this printer is one big piece of crap.It is incapable of printing worthwhile 8" x 10".It uses a ton of ink and cost a fortune to replace the cartridge.I haven't been this disappointed about a purchase in years and thats the truth.I fully recommend anyone looking for a printer to walk away from this one.

Ernie
Old May 15, 2003, 3:37 AM   #7

With the Hp its best to use HP paper. Also the ink is very expensive if you plan on making big runs on photos take em over to costco and walmart.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote