Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 14, 2006, 6:05 AM   #1

I own the Nikon D50 and am presently looking for an inkjet printer to print my 4x6" and 8x10" pics via my PC (Photoshop CS2). I'm interested in both the Canon IP5200 and the Epson R800. Which would you recommend? Why? Any other recommendations?
agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2006, 1:27 PM   #2

These two printers are very good. The Canon has the ability to print text with it's 5th Black Ink cartridge but it does only have 4 colors for printing photos (Black, Cyan, Magenta and Yellow). I have an older Canon i860 and I love the quality of prints on glossy paper and it too has only the 4 plus one ink set. Many reviews say that the Canon 5200 does fine with the limited colors so that is encouraging. Another consideration with the fewer inks is that it won't cost so much to replace the cartridges since there are only 5.

That being said, i've been in the market for a new photo printer and have been doing a lot of reading. I would really like to get my hands on a Canon ip8500, which is a i9900 sized down to print a max 8x10 instead of the 13x19. So I looked into the R800 and I have read a lot of good things about this printer. It's 6 inks will be able to print a wider color gamut which may come in handy. It also gives you the ability to print on CD's, which may or may not matter to you but it's a cool feature. Also, the R800 prints will last a lot longer (100 years for framed prints and I think 200 years for archived prints) Don't quote those numbers, check the Epson site to see for yourself.

I hope that helps a little bit. One more difference between these 2 are price, the 5200 is about $150 and the R800 is about $350-$399.

Good luck with your printer.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 2:03 PM   #3

agiaccio wrote:
Quote:
I own the Nikon D50 and am presently looking for an inkjet printer to print my 4x6" and 8x10" pics via my PC (Photoshop CS2). I'm interested in both the Canon IP5200 and the Epson R800. Which would you recommend? Why? Any other recommendations?
The hp8450 should be on anyone's list. It's presently cheap, really cheap though froogle.com. Compusa was selling them in stores for $65 type cheep, but as you might expect you'd be lucky to find one in yours. Onboard network, onboard cardslots, and 3 cartridges with up to 3 ink chambers each, optional photo grey. It's a closeout model, but it's a good one. It's in the same class as the Epson r800 [$199 referb $350ish in stores), and the Canon ip8500 ($350ish).

That being said... you should really ask Epson for a sample, usually I would say go into a shop and print from your camera but the r800 has no pictbridge. (800) 463-7766 is presales support in the USA. Epson uses pigment ink which lasts an age, but you might like the look of dyes better on photo paper. Though I own the ip5200, if money was not an issue i'd buy the r800 in a heartbeat.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 3:02 PM   #4

I agree with the HP8450. I've read nothing but good reviews about it and it's ability to print color as well as black and white photos. The 8250 is nice because it has the 6 seperate inks tanks, and the 8750 is nice because it prints on wide format, but the 8450 was much nicer and at a nicer price.

Canon inks do have a bit more vibrancy to them compared to the pigment of the Epsons, but with the addidtion of the Photo Optimizer cartrdige in the R800, it is supposed to increase the look of the pigment ink.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote