Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 15, 2006, 1:35 AM   #1

Source Image
MIS for the ip4000

Hobbicolors wc8 for the ip4200/ip5200

My goal was to set this printer to Japanese mode and use inks colored for the bci7/cli-8 series. I have to say Japanese mode requires the mp770 driver which for some reason wouldn't install, and there seemed to be no way to set the printer to use bci-7s, which is odd as somehow I accidently did it in the past. So it set the printer to Japanese mode then back to UK without restarting so it apeared as a mp760 and used the same driver. I would do this test on the ip3000 but I have since given it away.

The paper I used was HP premium glossy, scanner the mp760.

See for your self the source image. I have to say I like the result if a tad heavy in the magenta range, but the contrast I prefer.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2006, 1:53 AM   #2

Didn't think that HP photopaper would work that well in a Canon printer. I would like to see some results with Canon paper, Kodak paper and Ilford paper.
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 3:07 AM   #3

KnightCrawler wrote:
Quote:
Didn't think that HP photopaper would work that well in a Canon printer. I would like to see some results with Canon paper, Kodak paper and Ilford paper.
By all means... the purpose of my test was to see if switching modes produded equal or better results with wc8 ink, though it doesn't seem to be 100% possible on the mp760 to do with without switching all the menus to Japanese and downloading the Japanese edition of driver.

I'll have to reprint these under the kirkland paper to see if some of the flaws i'm seeing are paper related or image related. But I have to say it works pretty darn well on the ip5200.

Old Jun 16, 2006, 2:43 PM   #4

KnightCrawler wrote:
Quote:
My results from photoshop on the HP paper have been less than steller, in fact I did this test with EZ photo print. I just did some DVD covers and noticed what I would normally expect from swellable papers, slight banding, and sharp clear pixlation.

This is most annoying as after using it once or twice and getting decent results, I bought alot of it.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 10:38 PM   #5

zakezuke wrote:
Quote:
KnightCrawler wrote:
Quote:
My results from photoshop on the HP paper have been less than steller, in fact I did this test with EZ photo print. I just did some DVD covers and noticed what I would normally expect from swellable papers, slight banding, and sharp clear pixlation.

This is most annoying as after using it once or twice and getting decent results, I bought alot of it.

Is it the ink or the paper ?

I don't know that using different settings in the firmware would make much difference since it's the old classic bci-6 carts and not the new carts. Might want to try it in the ip5200.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:01 PM   #6

KnightCrawler wrote:
Quote:
zakezuke wrote:
Quote:
KnightCrawler wrote:
Quote:

I don't know that using different settings in the firmware would make much difference since it's the old classic bci-6 carts and not the new carts. Might want to try it in the ip5200.
The mp760 is reporting it's set for bci-7, not bci-6. Now I only did this 1/2 way because Japanese mode makes the printer totally japanese, as in an mp770, windows reporting a new device, and the drivers don't seem hip on installing, though i'm not sure exactly why.

But let me be clear on this subject.

1. On the mp760 in what I coin as 1/2 japanese mode, as in set to japanese, then set back to European mode, with the wc-8 inks, it seems to work ok with HP paper so long as i'm using EZ photo print.
2. On the ip5200, so long as i'm using EZ photo print it seems to work pretty well with HP paper.
3. Printing directly from photoshop, using "photoshop determins the colors", then you start to really notice the paper is not geared for this printer, you start to noice banding, pixliation, hard artifacts, basicly the stuff that you wouldn't notice on papers like Kirkland photo paper.

And now i'm looking at it more closely, i'm starting to see the flaws in using HP paper, even printing though ez photo print.

Old Jun 17, 2006, 12:05 AM   #7

zakezuke wrote:
Quote:
KnightCrawler wrote:
Quote:
zakezuke wrote:
Quote:
KnightCrawler wrote:
Quote:

The mp760 is reporting it's set for bci-7, not bci-6. Now I only did this 1/2 way because Japanese mode makes the printer totally japanese, as in an mp770, windows reporting a new device, and the drivers don't seem hip on installing, though i'm not sure exactly why.

But let me be clear on this subject.

1. On the mp760 in what I coin as 1/2 japanese mode, as in set to japanese, then set back to European mode, with the wc-8 inks, it seems to work ok with HP paper so long as i'm using EZ photo print.
2. On the ip5200, so long as i'm using EZ photo print it seems to work pretty well with HP paper.
3. Printing directly from photoshop, using "photoshop determins the colors", then you start to really notice the paper is not geared for this printer, you start to noice banding, pixliation, hard artifacts, basicly the stuff that you wouldn't notice on papers like Kirkland photo paper.

And now i'm looking at it more closely, i'm starting to see the flaws in using HP paper, even printing though ez photo print.

How much paper did you buy ?

I had the chance to buy a ton of kodak paper when Office Depot was selling it for a mere $2 for 40 sheets 8.5 x 11. This was their top of the line stuff 10mil thickness. I bought some and wishIhad bought more now that Ihavediscovered that theyhave a special driver addon for a bunch of printers that can properly adjust the settings for the paper and printerused:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/digit...uchIntro.jhtml
Old Jun 17, 2006, 12:01 PM   #8

KnightCrawler wrote:
Quote:
How much paper did you buy ?

I had the chance to buy a ton of kodak paper when Office Depot was selling it for a mere $2 for 40 sheets 8.5 x 11. This was their top of the line stuff 10mil thickness. I bought some and wishIhad bought more now that Ihavediscovered that theyhave a special driver addon for a bunch of printers that can properly adjust the settings for the paper and printerused:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/digit...uchIntro.jhtml

I bought 400 sheets @ $10 per 50. Biglots. I should be able to trade off 1:1 with an HP user for their Kirkland photo paper. While I believe Kodak Ultima can be adjusted it's kind of hard to adjust printhead banding that seems to appear in areas of dence color, which I first thought was simply a jpeg artifact, but alas no it's the same patern I see when using odd ball swellable paper. This is what others are likely complaining about when talking about HP paper.