Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 17, 2006, 1:50 PM   #1

havingboughtcanon ip5200 last month so far i got 6 x a4 photos printed and about 6 cdr's printed with covers, and thats it the inks gone. This printerdid nothing but suck ink out of the cartridges in between prints, clean clean clean clean and clean again. reminded me of a mangie cat. anways its out the back in bits no more to be usefull as in size 8 boot. Got good clean printer head if its needed, offers welcome.

Ps dont buy this printer total waste money, specialy with new cartridges around 45 a set

ste
steriddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2006, 2:15 PM   #2

steriddler wrote:
Quote:
havingboughtcanon ip5200 last month so far i got 6 x a4 photos printed and about 6 cdr's printed with covers, and thats it the inks gone. This printerdid nothing but oops ink out of the cartridges in between prints, clean clean clean clean and clean again. reminded me of a mangie cat. anways its out the back in bits no more to be usefull as in size 8 boot. Got good clean printer head if its needed, offers welcome.

Ps dont buy this printer total waste money, specialy with new cartridges around 45 a set

ste
I thought cartridges for this printer were closer to US$70/set, but you could mean quid, which 45 quid sounds about right.

This "clean clean clean" thing, I can agree the printer does make some odd noices between uses, and this could be cleaning cycles. In this way, this is much like my cat.

But I can say I've done 3 long boxes, two 8.5x11s, three thin long box covers, six oddball jewel cases with wrap around spines, and I would aproximate 15 discs. I can get an accurate number if need be, and my cartridges have not reached empty yet.

I would agree the ink is a tad spendy, esp in contrast to the old series. This is fair comment. I believe the offical estimate of prints/tank @ 5% yield is 280p letter sized, so at 50% yield that would be 28pages. Reality on my old ip3000 was closer to 30 to 40 prints, so it's not great, but not bad.

I can only speak with my experence, and that is limited to the set of ink which came with the printer, but I have to say so far i'm pleased.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 4:04 PM   #3

To Steriddler,

Actually--comparing OEM cartridges to OEM cartridges--the Canon ip5200 is one of the most economical printers on the planet. Better than Epsons that have the cleaning cycle problems to a greater extent, and way way ahead of any HP and Lexmark.

But as you properly point out, cleaning cycles waste ink. I seriously wonder if your ip5200 developed a slight clog, the printer sensed that, and kept trying to clear that clog. But all ink jet printers use periodic cleaning cycles to keep the printhead clear.

I own two unchippd Canons that may go through quite a few computer boot ups before I print anything. So I just leave my print turned off with the printers on off switch. Then when I want to print something I turn the printer on with its on switch--which will then trigger one cleaning cycle, then I print what I want, and again shut down the printer using the printer off switch. My ink lasts a long long time.

Sure sounds like you were frequently powering on and off the printer in the on state, getting a cleaning cycle every time--possibly due to a printer problem that would have been covered by warranty, so instead you smashed the printer when you should have complained to Canon Tech support, and now get told your experience is abnormal here.

But if you want advice on getting another printer---get a unchipped Canon such as a ip3000, ip4000, or ip5000.
They may be very slightly cheaper to run using OEM cartridges but if you use third party prefilled cartridges readily available on the internet, or refill as I do, ink consumable costs almost become non-issues.

But if you can't find a unchipped Canon using the BCI-3&6 cartridge line, your next best choice is another Canon ip5200--because you already have an extra printhead. And the ip5200 can also be refilled--its just extra hassle.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote